Pita’s chance of becoming next prime minister shrinks on eve of Parliamentary vote

webfact

Chances of Thailand’s

@Pita_MFP

being voted as PM are now next to zero as senators appointed by royalist and military establishment consistently ignore results of election dominated by his coalition parties that showed the people’s will #WhatsHappeningInThailand

https://twitter.com/TostevinM/status/1679430823789953025

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Boring and way off topic, the subject is the votes for Pita to become PM. 

Boring only for creatures who cannot handle the hard truth...

Way off topic: for sure, like the original post I replied to...

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, champers said:

Thai PBS3 TV channel doing a live count of PM votes now. Pita trailling at the moment 221 against 244 (abstensions and votes against combined). The gap against him appears to be growing.

I don't understand. They're way over 500 votes already. Are they doing the senate at the same time?

Ah. The senators are voting at the same time. They're marked as ส.ว. The MPs are ส.ส.

He's got 10 senators and 260 MPs right now. And counting!

Edited by bradiston

27 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chances of Thailand’s

@Pita_MFP

being voted as PM are now next to zero as senators appointed by royalist and military establishment consistently ignore results of election dominated by his coalition parties that showed the people’s will #WhatsHappeningInThailand

it is not the duty of the senators to mirror the election.....there job is one of balancing it. You can find that right or wrong, but that is their job

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

it is not the duty of the senators to mirror the election.....there job is one of balancing it. You can find that right or wrong, but that is their job

They cannot have been members of a political party throughout the preceding 5 years!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_of_Thailand

Edited by bradiston
  • Haha 1

Pita has been incompetent in the post election period. But I must say the senators are also looking bad, here. The least they should have done is orchestrate it so that MFP got some votes, instead of looking like a monolithic bloc indifferent to everything but their own interests. Really badly played, IMO.

1 minute ago, champers said:

Could a Pheu Thai candidate do better? They need to pick one first.

Yes, I would think, because the reason given voting against MFP would not apply to PTP. Opposition would need to come up with something compelling to not look like mere obstructionists.

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, I would think, because the reason given voting against MFP would not apply to PTP. Opposition would need to come up with something compelling to not look like mere obstructionists.

Since days there were rumors about PTP planning this all. Let the young run against a wall and come than as safer.

It could be already seen at the speaker discussion that MFP has no clue what they do.....they could have taken the speaker and give the PM to PTP.....but no they wanted both and now they get neither.....Well played Mr. T

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, h90 said:

now too late....

I don't think so. They haven't got a consensus. And it looks like there's a load of votes missing. A possible new vote until they get a result. Otherwise, what?

Edited by bradiston

Parliament will vote for PM anew on July 19 & 20 & MFP PM candidate #Pita Limjaroenrat's name will be resubmitted. Listening to junta-appointed senators today, it's most unlikely the results will differ. Most were against Pita's pledge to amend lese majeste law.

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1679443893715374087

2 minutes ago, champers said:

Just 13 senators voted for Pita; hard to see him winning over enough in a second vote. About 50 senators didn't even bother turning up.

Not sure if it was the senators. I didn't get the final breakdown.

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Parliament will vote for PM anew on July 19 & 20 & MFP PM candidate #Pita Limjaroenrat's name will be resubmitted. Listening to junta-appointed senators today, it's most unlikely the results will differ. Most were against Pita's pledge to amend lese majeste law.

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1679443893715374087

So he has 6 days to talk them round. He has options, but if he dumps the lèse majesté review proposal, he'll risk losing a lot of his supporters. Hmmm. Which way to go? Can't see MFP voting for PT.

Just too many abstentions.

Or resort to tried and trusted system offering posts in the next government in exchange for votes. Whatever. Yeah, but some votes. There's a novel idea for Thailand. Anyway, it happens in every democracy in the world.

Edited by bradiston

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

So he has 6 days to talk them round. He has options, but if he dumps the lèse majesté review proposal, he'll risk losing a lot of his supporters. Hmmm. Which way to go? Can't see MFP voting for PT.

Just too many abstentions.

I had read something about a stalemate situation lasting for a couple of years until the senate is up for election, I believe they have 6 year terms.

4 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's also highly undemocratic. If they were an elected body then perhaps it would be acceptable but they're not. They are extremely biased in favour of the military and the monarchy.

The real job of an upper house is checks and balances. This is impossible with a group entirely selected by one side of the political spectrum. 

yes I complete agree...the problem is the selection and the amount of people also seems high.

A selection could be former constitutional court judges, former but retired PMs, labor union leaders, one from the universities and maybe ONE from the military. And even that is dubious because every party will try to put their people in.

Per constitution in Thailand actually everyone must be in favor of the monarchy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Chances of Thailand’s

@Pita_MFP

All of which promotes the clear contradictory.

These duly appointed [not elected] members shouldn't be voting in any measure.......as they are illegally bound and non grata. 

the system is a farce and yet continues to pretend that it isn't.

26 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes I complete agree...the problem is the selection and the amount of people also seems high.

A selection could be former constitutional court judges, former but retired PMs, labor union leaders, one from the universities and maybe ONE from the military. And even that is dubious because every party will try to put their people in.

Per constitution in Thailand actually everyone must be in favor of the monarchy

The revered institution still has a subliminal pull on the population.

It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I had read something about a stalemate situation lasting for a couple of years until the senate is up for election, I believe they have 6 year terms.

No, their term ends in March 2024.

The UK has an unelected upper house, made up of government appointees, hereditary peers and peeresses, judges and senior clergy. But they very, very rarely vote against the lower house. They can send bills back for amendment however. But nothing like this.

And they have absolutely no say in the selection of the PM, who is by default the leader of the majority party.

Edited by bradiston