Trump sees democracy as ‘enemy territory’ says journalist who helped bring down Nixon

Social Media

File:Donald Trump (29496131773).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Bob Woodward has spent much of the last decade reporting on the former president

Longtime Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward said he believes former President Donald Trump “looks at democracy as enemy territory” during an interview on MSNBC.

“The problem with Trump is, I think he looks at democracy as enemy territory, to be quite frank,” Mr Woodward told the network’s Ari Melber on Tuesday.

Mr Woodward knows a thing or two about scandal-plagued presidents. He and Carl Bernstein’s reporting on Watergate at the Washington Post helped end Richard Nixon’s presidency more than five decades ago.

More recently, Mr Woodward has reported extensively on Mr Trump. In 2018, Mr Woodward published a book called Fear: Trump in the White House on Mr Trump’s presidency and has since published several more books about the former president.

The latest of those books — The Trump Tapes: Bob Woodward’s Twenty Interviews with President Donald Trump — featured transcripts of Mr Woodward’s 20 interviews with Mr Trump. The former president sued over the release of the tapes of the interviews, even though Mr Woodward’s publisher Simon & Schuster has maintained that the tapes were all on the record.

Now, with Mr Trump establishing himself as the frontrunner for the Republican nomination for president for a third consecutive election, a number of Americans are fearful about what his potential return to the White House might mean for American democracy,

FULL STORY

image.png

As an outsider looking in I think the next Presidential election will be VERY interesting.

Such a pity the losers, be they Democrat or Republicans , won’t accept that in a democracy the majority rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

What news source has the facts and truth... I am searching and cannot seem to find the answer... please help.

When you find that utopia please let us know where it is and how you established that it is truly giving you the facts and the truth!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

What news source has the facts and truth... I am searching and cannot seem to find the answer... please help.

How about a list of news sources that don't have facts and truth? I could easily start that one. Once this list is populated, any source not on the list could meet your criteria. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, gargamon said:

How about a list of news sources that don't have facts and truth? I could easily start that one. Once this list is populated, any source not on the list could meet your criteria. 

Are you sure the AN website is big enough to host a list that large?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Maybe this can help you start.

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

I'm not recommending it, as I disagree with some of the assignations.  E.g. I see CNN as centrist.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Maybe this can help you start.

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

I'm not recommending it, as I disagree with some of the assignations.  E.g. I see CNN as centrist.

Bias is different than accuracy. You can lean one way and report mostly truth, or you can lean another way and report mainly fallacies. Differentiating between truth and fallacies is the point here. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Bias is different than accuracy. You can lean one way and report mostly truth, or you can lean another way and report mainly fallacies. Differentiating between truth and fallacies is the point here. 

Leaving out aspects you prefer not to convey can scream "bias" loud and clear, IMO.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

What you don't seem to understand is that it's a democratic republic. Which means that it's a democracy but there are certain rights and practices protected by the Constitution. And the USA gotten a lot more democratic throughout its history thanks to the 14th, 15th, 17th, and 19th amendments to the Constitution.

They're just trying to downplay the importance  of winning the popular vote. Hello fascism.

• Thanks 1

It isn't just Trump who has no use for democracy. A growing segment of the right wing is of the same opinion. You can read about a vile a$$h0l3 who has drawn respect from the Claremont Institute, a prominent right wing think tank:

How Bronze Age Pervert Built an Online Following and Injected Anti-Democracy, Pro-Men Ideas into the GOP

Of all such figures on the scene today, including clearly BAP-influenced anonymous accounts with names like Delicious Tacos, Raw Egg Nationalist and Zero HP Lovecraft, BAP stands out as one of the most influential — and the one associated with the most clearly articulated and far-reaching political and cultural vision. Further, that vision is an extreme one, built around a rejection of equality, democracy and other promises of modern liberalism — and it’s being taken seriously by prominent conservatives and Republicans.

BAP counts Michael Anton, former White House national security spokesperson, Darren Beattie, a former Trump White House aide who was fired for speaking at a white nationalist conference, and a number of young former Trump staffers among his readers. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/16/bronze-age-pervert-masculinity-00105427

• Thumbs Up 1

DT has a sense of awe regarding Woodward, it came out back when he was interviewed by him.  He seems to have a fetish for influential men. 

How come all these anti-LGBT people don't go after T____ for exchanging "love letters" (his own words) with the guy who runs North Korea?

Did the White House doctor do a rape kit on the then-president when he returned from his Helsinki meeting with Putin?

He also has this deference to Turkey's Erdogan, what's up with that?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Possibly because Trump's unprecedented, previously unthinkable and utterly heroic achievement in fostering a peaceful and respectful relationship with NK was impressive for everyone(even though the left were at the time in raptures over their false narrative that Trump was about to be thrown in jail over some hoax or other they had made up)? Delivering peace in NK, Ukraine etc was an incredible achievement, and was only possible because Trump was not compromised by having a history of corrupt activities and inexplicable payments from said countries.

What on earth are you talking about in regard to SA kits? It is still shocking the way the left swallowed all the fake news narratives which no doubt lead to such comments being made. 

Lol! Trump got played by Kim.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-kim-jong-un-played-donald-trump

Make no mistake, the collapse of this week’s U.S.-North Korea summit in Hanoi is a win for Kim Jong Un. Trump and his officials are already spinning this as a draw, stating that North Korea has promised to continue its testing moratorium, claiming unspecified progress was made inside the talks and promising the negotiations will continue.

But by securing an extension of the process while giving up nothing on denuclearization, Kim can continue improving his country’s nuclear and missile capabilities, benefit from an ever-eroding sanctions regime and enjoy his elevated status as a newly respected member of the international community.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trump-got-played-by-kim-jong-un--again/2019/02/28/784a3228-3b8f-11e9-a2cd-307b06d0257b_story.html

Edited by candide