SCB Bank facial recognition? what gives?

Kenny202

Seen a few posts here re facial recognition and never gave them much notice but I see some vague message in my SCB inbox this morning about it. What's that all about and what is required? is it something I need to do at the branch or on the app?

Does it limit me to a daily transaction limit or would it make a problem if my GF want and withdrew money out at a branch?

Are Bangkok bank doing the same thing?

You do know that SCB has an English-speaking call centre that would be the only place to accurately answer your question about SCB requirements, yes?

BBL have introduced the facial recognition requirement for transactions in excess of B50k.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You do know that SCB has an English-speaking call centre that would be the only place to accurately answer your question about SCB requirements, yes?

BBL have introduced the facial recognition requirement for transactions in excess of B50k.

Yes, got passed around to three people and the last one says don't know will call back. yeah right. They have an online thing about how to register saying you need to install the SCB easy app, which I already have. I guess I will try and reinstall the app see if it asks for facial recognition when I reset. I assume it is only for online transactions? Quite a big thing for some I imagine. I never keep huge amounts of money here over 500k, but always gave the Mrs (not legally married) instructions that should I croak, immediately transfer money out of my account to hers. She wont be able to do that now

Edited by Kenny202
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yes, got passed around to three people and the last one says don't know will call back. yeah right

There you go, then, you've had the bank's answer.  No one here can possibly know the answer if SCB doesn't know so, until it's confirmed, don't worry about it. 

No one will be restricted from withdrawing money from their account at a branch because of the introduction of facial recognition.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Quite a big thing for some I imagine.

You don't need facial recognition with SCB or other banks unless you are transferring out of your account amounts over 50,000K.

As I don't, I won't be sucked into using facial recognition.

Also in case you didn't know as of the 14th, tomorrow, online banking with SCB will be shut down, so you will have to reschedule any payments through the app. 

SCB Easy Net will no longer be available, it's the app only, so all should have been advised of that.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one here can possibly know the answer if SCB doesn't know so, until it's confirmed, don't worry about it. 

Read above, I just answered his question +

• Haha 1

I cant count the number of times I have gone in to any bank here or called their "help" desk and someone didn't know the answer to a question they should have. I wouldn't bet the farm that the person on the phone not knowing is a given no one else does. I remember when I wanted to open a foreign currency account going to three branches before I struck someone that knew what I was talking about or willing to make a call and get more information. 

I just reinstalled the app per their online instructions. Says will ask you to register Facial recognition when logging in. Nope. The message I got says comes into effect 6th this month. I am guessing a typical cock up where their ambitions have exceeded their abilities. If I get any info from help desk will follow up

Edited by Kenny202

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

She wont be able to do that now

She can make online transfers up to 200k in one day, so 4 transactions of 49.9k each.

She can also withdraw up to 50k from an ATM per day.

2 days and she will have the money as per your instructions. Quicker if she transacts the second day's withdrawals just after midnight.

Alternatively, next time you are in your SCB branch with your bank book and passport, you can request an exemption from facial recognition which will be confirmed to you by SMS after a couple of days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

You don't need facial recognition with SCB or other banks unless you are transferring out of your account amounts over 50,000K.

As I don't, I won't be sucked into using facial recognition.

Also in case you didn't know as of the 14th, tomorrow, online banking with SCB will be shut down, so you will have to reschedule any payments through the app. 

SCB Easy Net will no longer be available, it's the app only, so all should have been advised of that.

Read above, I just answered his question +

Am aware of all that and I am talking about the app, not the online system. I am annoyed they are doing away with the online banking though. Quite often I could do things or view things I couldn't on the app. And I could possibly be doing transfers over 50k so will be an issue to me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

branch with your bank book and passport, you can request an exemption from facial recognition which will be confirmed to you by SMS after a couple of days.

That is good information, I will confirm that with the branch. I guess though if you waiver the facial recognition you will be liable for any future <deleted> ups or loss of money going back to the beginning of time even if its the bank itself fault. No care no / no responsibility. TIT, a$$ covering hub of the universe 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I am annoyed they are doing away with the online banking though.

Same here.

Quite often I could do things or view things I couldn't on the app.

We will all have to adapt.

And I could possibly be doing transfers over 50k so will be an issue to me.

Read Blackcab's comments above.

45 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

"...amounts over 50,000K".

Absolute nonsense. Amounts over B50k are those affected, not B50,000,000 (B50,000k [sic])

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Probably.

SCB told me definitely!

But without the facial it's no less secure than it is now.

Ongoing thread here, let's continue in that thread: -

• Like 1