Ex-farm chicken eggs to go up to 4 baht each from Friday

snoop1130

main-2023-07-13T145935.942.png

Consumers will be expected to pay more for chicken eggs after poultry farmers agreed to charge an extra 20 satang per egg, bringing the ex-farm price to 4 baht each effective from Friday.

A network of poultry farming cooperatives, which includes the cooperatives in Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Lamphun and the Noi river basin in Ayutthaya, notified their members of the price increase, which equates to an extra six baht for a tray of 30 eggs.

Cooperative members will be notified if there is any further price change.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ex-farm-chicken-eggs-to-go-up-to-4-baht-each-from-friday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Current average price per dozen (12) eggs in most of Australia is above $6.00 Aus per dozen! 

That is about 12 baht PER EGG!

Media is pressuring the closure of battery hen farms with "Free range" only from 2026 being pushed on the public.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And what about the Thai populous that use eggs in the recipes every day..

push the price onto the consumers..

This is basically a thai expat forum - i doubt many Thais read it - hence comment.

Never said it was good for thais

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

This is basically a thai expat forum - i doubt many Thais read it - hence comment.

Never said it was good for thais

As you say, mostly an expat forum and a typical comment from one.

To put it in perspective , 20 satang is one fifth of a baht. A poultry sum , even for a poor Thai. More serious is how the price of meat has gone up  over the last couple of years. Our dogs used to get fed chicken breasts because they were cheaper than tinned dog food. Now it's just boiled carcasses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyswat said:

Current average price per dozen (12) eggs in most of Australia is above $6.00 Aus per dozen! 

Media is pressuring the closure of battery hen farms with "Free range" only from 2026 being pushed on the public.

In the UK a free range chicken has to have access to open air runs for at least half its life time which has to be at least 56 days old before slaughter . Within the chicken house no more than 13 birds to the square meter . ( That is tight space ) . Open air runs are often just bare ground because the chicken poo has killed the grass  ( ammonia poo ) . So you can see that the "free range egg " is a misleading term . I use to keep upwards of 40 free range chickens and they are more susceptible to diseases caught from wild birds . Indeed the glossy videos on the TV showing happy hens is mostly B/S . Proper free range eggs normally have a yellow to orange colored yolk and taste slightly creamier and will be costlier than penned up chicken eggs . Thailand eggs are often on the older side and when cracked into a frying pan often break or lay flat . Not many stand up yolks here .

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If you really have to worry about paying 4 baht - or 10p - an egg, you really should not be here

depends on how many you eat.....When wife is not cooking there are days I eat 10 or max. 12....and other food also costs. For someone on minimum salary this is not cheap

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, superal said:

In the UK a free range chicken has to have access to open air runs for at least half its life time which has to be at least 56 days old before slaughter . Within the chicken house no more than 13 birds to the square meter . ( That is tight space ) . Open air runs are often just bare ground because the chicken poo has killed the grass  ( ammonia poo ) . So you can see that the "free range egg " is a misleading term . I use to keep upwards of 40 free range chickens and they are more susceptible to diseases caught from wild birds . Indeed the glossy videos on the TV showing happy hens is mostly B/S . Proper free range eggs normally have a yellow to orange colored yolk and taste slightly creamier and will be costlier than penned up chicken eggs . Thailand eggs are often on the older side and when cracked into a frying pan often break or lay flat . Not many stand up yolks here .

The color of the yolk comes from the food. In industrial egg production you can set it from bright yellow to dark orange with the color you put in the food.

I was also mislead to believe a yolk color means more natural....not true it means they are better in pretending...

• Thumbs Up 2

We buy our eggs from the Khon Kaen agricultural University outlet , last time they only had the #4 (we usually get #0) because they said they just got new young chicken for their students. 125 baht for 30 and very fresh. So if you live in the area they might be a good option, they are located on the main road right before you make the right to enter the area with the flower shops. 

By the way you can tell if an egg is fresh by the way it floats or does not, in water, A very fresh egg will lay on the bottom, a slightly older egg will float a little , and a stale  egg will float a lot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superal said:

Thailand eggs are often on the older side and when cracked into a frying pan often break or lay flat . Not many stand up yolks here .

Yes , you really have to check on the date produced before buying. I tend to buy eggs in cartons of 10 that have a production date of not more than 5 days ago.

4 hours ago, superal said:

You didn't mention that the current UK price for 6 free range medium eggs is around £2 (90Bt) i.e.15Bt/egg

9 hours ago, flyswat said:

Yep.  I'm quite happy living here in egg-country Northern Thailand.  We get them from locals yolkles who have chicken coups and have been paying 4 THB per egg and I'm yolk happy with the price. 
????????????:thumbsup:????????????

Edited by connda

There once was a chicken in Thailand,
Who said, "I ain't laying no eggs man."
They pleaded and begged,
"Just lay a few eggs,"
But instead she ended up in the frying pan.  ????

On 7/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, h90 said:

The color of the yolk comes from the food. In industrial egg production you can set it from bright yellow to dark orange with the color you put in the food.

I was also mislead to believe a yolk color means more natural....not true it means they are better in pretending...

Yes that is true of food colouring within the housed chickens industry . Free range chickens have the green grass and insects / worms to eat and the green grass makes the yolks a deeper yellow .

They also have basic chicken feed without colouring additives ( at least it was what I did ) . If all chickens were free range the price of eggs would be much higher and indeed intensive farming can be cruel but sorry to say a necessity . E.G. ( pun not intended ) many years ago a chicken dinner was normally at Xmas but now because of intensive farming it is eaten regularly .

15 hours ago, Maybole said:

I am paying Thb 140 for 30 allegedly "free range" eggs from the local shop.

I

Allegedly ? I understand because when I lived in the countryside in the UK there was an elderly guy who sold free range eggs from his house . He was selling so much that he could not keep up with the demand . Then early one morning  I saw a large box van delivering eggs to his house from a local egg farm where there were no free range chickens . I went to visit him an hour later and what a surprise , he was rubbing the newly bought eggs into chicken poo to give the appearance of non factory eggs .

1 hour ago, superal said:

Yes that is true of food colouring within the housed chickens industry . Free range chickens have the green grass and insects / worms to eat and the green grass makes the yolks a deeper yellow .

They also have basic chicken feed without colouring additives ( at least it was what I did ) . If all chickens were free range the price of eggs would be much higher and indeed intensive farming can be cruel but sorry to say a necessity . E.G. ( pun not intended ) many years ago a chicken dinner was normally at Xmas but now because of intensive farming it is eaten regularly .

But many people, could have a few chicken and feed them with the leftovers from their food....I see many people here never eat finish and the leftovers would be plenty for 1-2 chicken. At least on the countryside you could produce eggs at very low cost. (Easier than for example milk) I have seen chicken roam between the rubber trees and find food themself. Not sufficient for the population but could add.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, h90 said:

But many people, could have a few chicken and feed them with the leftovers from their food....I see many people here never eat finish and the leftovers would be plenty for 1-2 chicken. At least on the countryside you could produce eggs at very low cost. (Easier than for example milk) I have seen chicken roam between the rubber trees and find food themself. Not sufficient for the population but could add.

My Mrs kept chicks for a spell... it isn't as straightforward or easy as one might expect. They have a limited productive (laying) life and the wild dogs get them twice a year!

• Like 1