Updated Covid shot should be ready by ‘latter part of September,’ US HHS secretary says in letter to manufacturers

On Thursday morning, US Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra sent a letter to the CEOs of Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax detailing how, after the transition to commercialization, HHS expects “that vaccines will remain available in the types of locations where the public currently receives them – including pharmacies, clinics, healthcare provider offices, health departments, and other points of care – to maximize access.”

Those three companies, which manufacture the only Covid-19 vaccines currently available in the US, are advised that they should plan for this fall’s vaccine supply and regulatory submissions in enough time for the US Food and Drug Administration to take action and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to make recommendations on the vaccinations “by the latter part of September,” Becerra wrote in a draft of the letter obtained by CNN.

In June, the FDA recommended that Covid-19 vaccine manufacturers make single-strain booster shots for this fall and winter that would target the currently circulating Omicron subvariant XBB.1.5. Those updated vaccines are expected to be made available in mid- to late September, should the FDA authorize them and the CDC recommend them.

(more)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/health/covid-19-vaccines-hhs-letter/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

COVID in Thailand last week, July 2-8:

--25 new COVID deaths

--1,193 new COVID hospitalizations

--214 COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition

--144 COVID patients hospitalized requiring intubation to breathe

Thus far in 2023, 727 official COVID deaths and 29,697 COVID hospitalizations.

Screenshot_2.jpg.6231fc6c07b20774bcedbea9aeb34e6b.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess COVID shots will become the same as annual flu shots. With the usual outbursts from anti-vaxxers.

The only outbursts from "anti-vaxxers" about people wanting annual Covid shots will be an outburst of laughter.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I have no idea what "anti-vaxxers" claim. If you find one, ask them and report back, let us all know.

You should have stopped with the first four words.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Lacessit said:

I guess COVID shots will become the same as annual flu shots. With the usual outbursts from anti-vaxxers.

I am in the most vulnerable age cohort. I've had two Pfizer boosters. No side effects, and I have not grown two heads.

It's quite noticeable in Australian hospitals, the first patient information asked for is their COVID vaccination status.

If you are still in Australia, seems like you have yet to have the fifth COVID dose or third booster.

In Australia for seniors, usually the earlier dose was two AZ and then there were two Pfizer boosters followed by the latest recommendation which is a Pfizer bi-valent. 

9 hours ago, LosLobo said:

If you are still in Australia, seems like you have yet to have the fifth COVID dose or third booster.

In Australia for seniors, usually the earlier dose was two AZ and then there were two Pfizer boosters followed by the latest recommendation which is a Pfizer bi-valent. 

Four so far - Sinovac, AZ, Pfizer in Thailand, Pfizer bivalent in Australia. I had COVID after the first two, 3 days of a runny nose and sore throat, no after-effects. Except perhaps an decreased ability to suffer fools gladly.

My unvaccinated Thai GF, 23 years younger than me, had all the symptoms and was quite sick for 11 - 12 days.

She declined to be vaccinated, due to the negative posts on Thai social media. After her bout with COVID, she was off to the village clinic to get vaccinated.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:17 AM, Lacessit said:

Except perhaps an decreased ability to suffer fools gladly.

I feel that too.

Especially with people who cite personal anecdotes around Covid as if they had any relevance to the broader statistical pattern of sickness from this virus.

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

I feel that too.

Especially with people who cite personal anecdotes around Covid as if they had any relevance to the broader statistical pattern of sickness from this virus.

The broader statistical data supports my personal anecdote, unless you are one of those people who rely on social media for your analysis. No surprise if you do.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The broader statistical data supports my personal anecdote, unless you are one of those people who rely on social media for your analysis.

Whatever you believe about the broader data, your experience still does not have the relevance you think it has, just as it would be foolish of an unvaccinated person to claim relevance in that all their vaccinated relatives got much sicker than they did.

23 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Whatever you believe about the broader data, your experience still does not have the relevance you think it has, just as it would be foolish of an unvaccinated person to claim relevance in that all their vaccinated relatives got much sicker than they did.

You have been vaccinated for polio, tetanus, typhoid, flu and pneumonia? Vaccines work, whatever the idiot fringe has to say on social media. COVID vaccines are no different in terms of effectiveness.

It is possible for an unvaccinated person to be less sick than a vaccinated one, it's called a statistical outlier. OTOH, myself and my GF are not.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You have been vaccinated for polio, tetanus, typhoid, flu and pneumonia? Vaccines work, whatever the idiot fringe has to say on social media. COVID vaccines are no different in terms of effectiveness.

It is possible for an unvaccinated person to be less sick than a vaccinated one, it's called a statistical outlier. OTOH, myself and my GF are not.

Yes, vaccines work. But Covid vaccines are different in terms of effectiveness than a tetanus vaccine, or the polio vaccine, which helped completely eradicate polio in the wild in the US within 25 years.

And I would not agree with your "statistical outlier" formulation, partly because the definition of "sicker" is vague to the point of being arbitrary.

In passing, the last thing I would do if I had just recovered from a nasty Covid infection would be to rush to the local clinic to get vaccinated. That certainly sounds like something the idiot fringe on social media would recommend.

4 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

I feel that too.

What do the statistics say about the differences in infection rate, long covid rate, and death rate between vaccinated and unvaccinated people?  As of November 2022 vaccines looked pretty good.   https://www.healthdata.org/covid/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-summary

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Yes, vaccines work. But Covid vaccines are different in terms of effectiveness than a tetanus vaccine, or the polio vaccine, which helped completely eradicate polio in the wild in the US within 25 years.

And I would not agree with your "statistical outlier" formulation, partly because the definition of "sicker" is vague to the point of being arbitrary.

In passing, the last thing I would do if I had just recovered from a nasty Covid infection would be to rush to the local clinic to get vaccinated. That certainly sounds like something the idiot fringe on social media would recommend.

Faulty comparison on your part, explain how a flu vaccine, which is generally accepted in most countries, differs from a COVID vaccine. Both are dealing with multiple mutations, polio vaccine only has three to contend with. Tetanus is a bacterium.

The definition of "sicker" is easy if based on symptoms and duration. COVID's are sore throat, runny nose, loss of smell and taste senses, lung congestion, memory loss and chronic fatigue. My GF had four, I had two. Ergo, she was sicker than me, on duration as well. Obviously you did not put much thought into that part of your post.

The implication my GF is an idiot for wanting to get vaccinated after a bout of COVID is noted. IMO the idiots on social media are the ones resisting vaccination for all kinds of wacky reasons. I have zero sympathy for them as they head into an ICU, because they are hogging beds intended for other patients, on the basis of their beliefs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The implication my GF is an idiot for wanting to get vaccinated after a bout of COVID is noted.

You were the one who noted that she didn't get vaccinated previously simply "due to the negative posts on Thai social media", which is clearly behavior you disagreed with.

If you don't want your GF's actions discussed, then don't bring her into the thread in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The definition of "sicker" is easy if based on symptoms and duration.

Which are again subjective for each individual. There is no objective measure of "sickness" short of extreme conditions. Some people claim to be "sick" at the drop of a hat; others soldier on quietly unless they are at death's door.

5 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

You were the one who noted that she didn't get vaccinated previously simply "due to the negative posts on Thai social media", which is clearly behavior you disagreed with.

If you don't want your GF's actions discussed, then don't bring her into the thread in the first place.

Which are again subjective for each individual. There is no objective measure of "sickness" short of extreme conditions. Some people claim to be "sick" at the drop of a hat; others soldier on quietly unless they are at death's door.

You have obviously never heard of the nominal level of statistics, which can be just as valid as the ordinal, interval and ratio levels.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

The old ones are always the best ones ....

As it happens, I am very familiar with classification systems, irrelevant though they are to the subject under discussion, which involves ranking and is therefore not simply nominal. The clue is in the word "sicker."

12 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

The old ones are always the best ones ....

As it happens, I am very familiar with classification systems, irrelevant though they are to the subject under discussion, which involves ranking and is therefore not simply nominal. The clue is in the word "sicker."

Then presumably you have also heard of binomial statistics.

Pretty simple really. A COVID patient either has chronic fatigue, or they don't. They lose their sense of taste and smell, or they don't. The more symptoms they have, the sicker they are.

You are putting the horse behind the cart in terms of ranking severity. That suits your argument, which reminds me of the Dilbert aphorism.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The more symptoms they have, the sicker they are.

I suppose we should at least be thankful that you are not a doctor.

Overall, we have driven this thread far enough off-topic, and since you clearly didn't reason your way into your extreme viewpoint, there is no way for me to reason you out of it.

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

I suppose we should at least be thankful that you are not a doctor.

Overall, we have driven this thread far enough off-topic, and since you clearly didn't reason your way into your extreme viewpoint, there is no way for me to reason you out of it.

Attacking me personally is ad hominem argument, one of the dishonest forms.

Begging the question is another. Goodbye.