Credit Card in Thailand

Can anyone recommend a bank in Thailand that will give me a 'proper' credit card, not the glorified AT card that Kasikorn gives me.

I have just been messed about trying to book a trip to Singapore online using my UK Mastercard, which was 'security blocked' as use in Thailand was 'unexpected.

What I want is a credit car with a reasonable credit limit, say US$3,000, a proper credit card that I do not have to payoff completely every month, and can be used for on-line transactions.  Also with monthly statements that I can access on line.

I have asked my bank, Kasikorn, but these requirements as beyond their comprehension

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are you working?

If so, any of the major banks "should" be able to give you a real credit card (no security deposit).

I have cards from AmEx and Citi (now UOB) both with sensible limits.

If not working then it's much more difficult, IIRC AmEx did offer me a credit card some years ago "no WP required" but since I was working I never needed to actually test what they would offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both Kasikorn and Bangkok bank issued me with un-secured credit cards.

Helps if you are working, if you are not you they will want a secured deposit to gaurantee the card.... 100k credit - 100k secured deposit.

• Like 2

As far as I am aware Wise are not currently offering any cards to people in Thailand.

Most banks, certainly Bangkok Bank, will give you a VISA credit card provided you keep the credit limit amount in your a/c. e.g for a 100,000 Baht limit you will need an a/c with that amount in it. The amount you use each month will be automatically deducted from the bank a/c at the end of the month which doesn't suit all your requirements. Basically no better than a debit card but it will work online internationally.

16 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It seems you're out of touch with banking. What you get from K-Bank and most other banks is a VISA debit card or Mastercard debit card, which for all intents and purposes is the same as a credit card, but you can only spend your own money. I've been using mine for 14 years and have never had any problems. When you make payments these days, most companies ask for a debit or credit card.

He might have been offere a 'bonded' credit card that works just like credit card with a proper credit line that shows up on your credit report, only caveat being you have to have a fixed deposit covering the credit, this deposit doesn't get deducted once you use the card, you have to make a payment every month, as little as the minimum payment, running up interest while your original amount sits in the bank untouched. In theory this is offered to those with low or no credit history, once they show a pattern of repayment and source of income, they can apply for a proper credit card, which for foreigners in thailand not working - never.

bonded credit card has some benefit over debit cards, such as proper chargeback protections and other perks like points or cashback discounts and there are many situations where debit cards are not accepted, like try renting a car at airports. 

Question is can the 'bonded' deposit be used to satisfy retirement visa requirement? you get a fixe deposit passbook that runs interest but you can't withdraw, if you put in 400or 800,000 in and get a bonded credit card against that allowing you to use money you can't otherwise touch. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

WISE is only a Debit Card. What YOU put in it you can spend. No money, cannot use.

Yes and if no money you shouldnt be travelling. Why doesnt the OP have 2 or 3 cards? Why not call the bank and get his 1 card unblocked? 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't matter as it is not available to applicants in Thailand.

I suspect quite a few Wise card holders are registered in their own country, so don't apply from Thailand

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't matter as it is not available to applicants in Thailand.

I suspect quite a few Wise card holders are registered in their own country, so don't apply from Thailand

I suspect that quite a few potential Wise card holders do not have the facility of an address in their own country, if they did. they probably wouldn't be trying to get a Wise card.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, digbeth said:

He might have been offere a 'bonded' credit card that works just like credit card with a proper credit line that shows up on your credit report, only caveat being you have to have a fixed deposit covering the credit, this deposit doesn't get deducted once you use the card, you have to make a payment every month, as little as the minimum payment, running up interest while your original amount sits in the bank untouched. In theory this is offered to those with low or no credit history, once they show a pattern of repayment and source of income, they can apply for a proper credit card, which for foreigners in thailand not working - never.

bonded credit card has some benefit over debit cards, such as proper chargeback protections and other perks like points or cashback discounts and there are many situations where debit cards are not accepted, like try renting a car at airports. 

Question is can the 'bonded' deposit be used to satisfy retirement visa requirement? you get a fixe deposit passbook that runs interest but you can't withdraw, if you put in 400or 800,000 in and get a bonded credit card against that allowing you to use money you can't otherwise touch. 

I've used credit cards for most of my life and still have one (not from Thailand). Yes, there are SOME benefits, but nothing I needed other than renting a car. Most of the difference is marketing to try to get you to borrow money at obscene rates in the hope you can't pay your balance in full and it works. People get into debt they cannot repay.

Debit cards are becoming much more user friendly these days as competition in the market place is high and payment options have become more varied for most companies. You can dispute a charge on a Thailand issued debit card. I've done it a number of times.

Please understand that my comments are in the context of people living full time in Thailand, as I do. Your needs in your home country might vary and a credit card may become necessary depending on your lifestyle.

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I suspect that quite a few potential Wise card holders do not have the facility of an address in their own country, if they did. they probably wouldn't be trying to get a Wise card.

Don't understand you. You say that if the potential customer DID have a UK address they wouldn't be trying to get a Wise card.

Why not? It is simlpe to use, convert and send currencies, and relatively cheap. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Don't understand you. You say that if the potential customer DID have a UK address they wouldn't be trying to get a Wise card.

Don't understand you.  You left out the word "probably" that I used... probably deliberately?.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Robin said:

not the glorified AT card that Kasikorn gives me.

What's an AT card? I was given a perfectly functioning Platinum Visa Credit card by KBank. No job needed here. All you need is a bank deposit with them to the amount of credit you plan to use.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

And get  lousy rate of exchange AND a fee to do almost any transaction, ATM or purchase.

Only buy fuel and stuff from Lazada the extra cost is nowt for the convenience.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Contact your uk bank, tell them you overseas and want to use it. Problem solved. Call them up now.

…and if you’re still having issues use a vpn connection in your country.

Edited by novacova

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

And get  lousy rate of exchange AND a fee to do almost any transaction, ATM or purchase.

Ridiculous ????

That’s only if you choose a card with that criteria. 
Better to choose a card that passes on the full VISA/

Mastercard exchange rate without deductions. I don’t know any cards that charge fees for purchases. Do you?

46 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

What's an AT card? I was given a perfectly functioning Platinum Visa Credit card by KBank. No job needed here. All you need is a bank deposit with them to the amount of credit you plan to use.

A card with a deposit is hardly a credit card ☺️

• Thumbs Up 2