Hi.

Has anyone received a e-mail from Kasikorn very recently?

My mail is only in Thai and I'm guessing it is to do with facial recognition and transfers.

I'm currently out of Thailand for a while, so any assistance appreciated.

Hopefully 2 screen dumps attached.

Screenshot_20230716_001426_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20230716_001407_Gmail.jpg

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

It’s asking to update. Personally I’d wait to update the app until you return in case you can’t login 

IMG_9307.jpeg

Thanks. Mighty fine advice.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The reason that it is in Thai only is because it doesn't yet apply for foreigners.  I received the email a couple of weeks ago and called them to get it re-sent in English as I suspected it to be in connection with facial recognition, I was told not to worry about it as it was directed at Thai customers only , for the time being, and they weren't sending an English version out.

Cheers. I have read a number of other threads on the facial recognition "gizmo" only applying to Thai customers currently.

Hopefully K-Bank will not change yet.????????

7 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Cheers. I have read a number of other threads on the facial recognition "gizmo" only applying to Thai customers currently.

Hopefully K-Bank will not change yet.????????

A farang friend check with his bank, I think SCB.

They told him facial recognition is not working/used with farangs in the moment.

Farangs can have 50k limit or they can sign a form in the bank to have (I am not sure) no limit or a very high limit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Farangs can have 50k limit or they can sign a form in the bank to have (I am not sure) no limit or a very high limit.

At SCB they can apparently sign a waiver which absolves the bank of any responsibility in case of fraud (on any transaction) and then the 50k limit does not apply. However it takes more then a few days to get sorted going on posts elsewhere in this forum.

5 hours ago, topt said:

At SCB they can apparently sign a waiver which absolves the bank of any responsibility in case of fraud (on any transaction) and then the 50k limit does not apply. However it takes more then a few days to get sorted going on posts elsewhere in this forum.

It would be interesting to see that document. Will it be in English? Will we be doomed if we sign it.

Most of the time I can live with the 50k limit. I am relucent to sign something like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Duh!

I forgot to ask if anyone knows whether any banks are applying this 49,999 t/f limit to incoming monies?

i.e. can I t/f 50k+ into my, or Thai wifey's account from overseas without the facial gizmo being set up?

I appreciate it likely will not apply to our accounts (yet).????????

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Duh!

I forgot to ask if anyone knows whether any banks are applying this 49,999 t/f limit to incoming monies?

i.e. can I t/f 50k+ into my, or Thai wifey's account from overseas without the facial gizmo being set up?

I can't be sure but I think that is unlikely.

The idea seems to be (online) fraud prevention so that people don't transfer money to criminals.

That is not relevant for incoming money. Or that is the problem of the sending bank.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A farang friend check with his bank, I think SCB.

They told him facial recognition is not working/used with farangs in the moment.

I'm guessing because we all look alike to them.

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Duh!

Bangkok Bank has already implemented it and for them it applies to foreigners too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't be sure but I think that is unlikely.

The idea seems to be (online) fraud prevention so that people don't transfer money to criminals.

That is not relevant for incoming money. Or that is the problem of the sending bank.

it is  not to prevent people transferring criminals, you can perfectly send criminals more than 50,000 of your hard earned money after you have scanned your face

it is to prevent criminals from emptying 'mule' accounts that's used to received victim's money

criminals would buy up accounts from people and only have online or app access that they can use to move money around to other accounts, as these accounts will get frozen after they've been reported, with the new measure, actual account owner is required for more than 50,000 transfer, so the criminals will be limited in how they can move the money around 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Duh!

Not incoming from abroad 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At SCB I can send baht 50,000 at a time on my windows pc, using the android phone app I can send 1 or 2 million depending on what limit I set in the app.  Ive recently sent 1 million twice with no issue to another Thai bank account.

It says from August 19th onwards, transfers above 200k will require face recognition. I don't know if not signing it because "farang is responsible for any fraud" is a good idea insofar as this is about facial recognition for higher amounts. Required facial recognition is bound to reduce the fraud risk.