Bi-focals

swissie

Last time I was in Pattaya, I had some glasses made for me and then sent by back home. Upon arrival, I discovered that the glasses weren't bi-focal at all. (Although I made it clear in this "reputable" Optical Store on walking street, that I wanted bi-focals.)

Now: I will be in Patty again next week, and I shall try again, so the question is: In which Optical Store do they know the meaning of bi-focals?

Thanks for recommendation(s). Cheers.

Last time I was in Pattaya, I had some glasses made for me and then sent by back home. Upon arrival, I discovered that the glasses weren't bi-focal at all. (Although I made it clear in this "reputable" Optical Store on walking street, that I wanted bi-focals.)

Now: I will be in Patty again next week, and I shall try again, so the question is: In which Optical Store do they know the meaning of bi-focals?

Maybe the glasses you had made are "progressive" and work for both long and shortsightedness. In my experience these lens usually cost about 4,000 -5,000 baht.

I would think that explaining that you did not want "progressive" but bi-focals and draw a picture of the lens would be understood by most opticians in a tourist area like Pattaya. Whether they still make bi-focal lens' is another question.

Try "Euro Optic" on Second Road opposite the Marriott Hotel

If you want normal bifocals with a distinctive line in them, Euro Optic may be ok. If you want progressive (Amrerican) or varifocals (English), this place is very expensive. Much cheaper in BKK. I paid THB 18,000 for progressive there. Nothing fancy.

Edited by bangsaenguy

At Tesco the progressive tri-focal Varilux lenes with frames and exam were about 10,000 baht but I opted for the transitional lenes (dark outside, light inside) so I could also use them as sunglasses so the cost went up to 17,000 baht.