Pita’s parting shot: Thailand has changed since election

snoop1130

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat said this afternoon Thailand has changed since the general election in May and the people are now “half way to victory”.

Has it really changed though? The EC and court meddling in politics looks "same old" to me, I'm afraid.

"Half way to victory" unfortunately buys you about as much as getting half of the winning lottery numbers right.

My reading of this mess is quite a bit more dark than his.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMO it would be better to have slightly smaller mobs but in far more places.

A large angry mob in one city is easier to contain than smaller but equally angry mobs in many places. It would force the military and the police to cover a much larger area and have to split their numbers off to deal with many at the same time.

Exactly -divide and conquer. You are right - smaller groups would be unmanageable. 40+ million population could achieve that and they know it!

• Like 2

The student protests took place during the restrictions imposed by covid. Very little foreign media in Bangkok and almost zero tourists. Fast forward to today and there are heaps of foreign journalists and camera crews in the country just as there are masses of tourists. Tear gassing and baton charging protesters around Democracy Monument or MBK will inevitably mean tourists being caught up in the violence and massive foreign coverage shining a spotlight on this electoral farce. The anger on Thai Twitter will soon be expressed in deeds rather than words.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Unfortunately those " born to rule" will also be creating " loopholes". They control the ( discredited and discreditable) machinery to do so.

Their is only one tool in the younger Thai's toolbox. Revolt.

legal is always acceptable!

There is power in numbers!

Violence is not democratic!

As time goes by the old die and the young live !

What your suggesting is Radically unacceptable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:07 AM, billd766 said:

IMO it would be better to have slightly smaller mobs but in far more places.

A large angry mob in one city is easier to contain than smaller but equally angry mobs in many places. It would force the military and the police to cover a much larger area and have to split their numbers off to deal with many at the same time.

But in that case, I think they would feel threatened and pour on the violence.  Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Indeed: Some student activity about it. I showed the paper to a friend and this was her reaction. The general population could care less Screenshot_2023-07-20-16-47-07-42.thumb.jpg.fefda8d3e2833993194a68466cfe3f45.jpg

You are correct.  The Thai's I talk to just shrug their shoulders, they know there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.  If they get out on the streets, they are probably going to get their heads bashed.  They tell me, this is politics as usual in Thailand.  Mai Pen Rai.  

1 hour ago, riclag said:

legal is always acceptable!

There is power in numbers!

Violence is not democratic!

As time goes by the old die and the young live !

What your suggesting is Radically unacceptable!

Revolt does not necessarily mean violence.

Violence is far more likely to be initiated by the government in an attempt to cling to power.

• Like 1