Bangkok transport’s long and bumpy journey to a common ticket system

webfact

image.jpeg

Greater Bangkok’s MRT underground and BTS Skytrain transport systems are so convenient that millions of residents and visitors rely on them despite the high fares.

Hence, the Thai Consumers Council (TCC) believes it’s time that authorities introduced a common ticketing system that makes city train services both convenient and affordable.

“A common ticketing system would help restructure fares in a fairer manner,” TCC secretary-general Saree Aongsomwang said.

A Bangkok Poll survey conducted earlier this month found that 61% of commuters want cheaper MRT and BTS fares, while up to 48.5% desire a common ticketing system. Asked to name problems with the city’s train systems, 61% mentioned “expensive fares” and 25.7% complained of having to use different tickets to get around Bangkok.

The MRT covers 12 routes across Bangkok and adjacent provinces and links with the BTS Skytrain. However, commuters need to use a new ticket every time they switch from one system to the other.

Over the next six years, the number of metropolitan train routes is set to almost triple to 33. But without a common ticketing system, commuters will likely face higher fares and the added hassle of buying different tickets to get around.

Journey toward common ticket

The idea of a common ticketing system in Bangkok has been raised several times in the past 20 years. However, little or no effective action was taken until 2012, when the Transport Ministry finally commissioned the Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning Office (OTP) to study options for creating a common system. By 2015, a system had been designed and a bill drafted.

By Thai PBS World

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-transports-long-and-bumpy-journey-to-a-common-ticket-system/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

14 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I really dont see how it is an inconvenince to carry a couple of cards.

It's a nuisance if you're just an occasional user of one or the other. Can take ages at, say, Asoke or Silom to get a single ticket.

However, I understand a Rabbit card will work on both MRT and BTS, so for those of us who live here, surely that IS a single system?

• Confused 1

I've been playing the ticketing game here since 2004, and when I started they were talking about a common ticket :whistling:

The closest we have is the contactless EMV but it doesn't work on the BTS Green Line (works on Yellow, Red, Blue, Purple).

Krungthai Bank even have a transit dedicated EMV debit card. I've not had time to try and get one as a foreigner.

https://krungthai.com/th/content/personal/cards/debit-card/tranxit-card

image.png.d58a612bf95507e63233722eed9c1b48.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Nope, the Bunny works only on the Green, Yellow and Pink (when it opens). MRTplus works only on the Blue and Purple. Neither of them work on Red.

Not calling you a liar, but my wife told me today she uses the same Rabbit card on Blue MRT and BTS. Certainly it works on the useless Yellow Line, and I have never heard of a Red one.

• Confused 1

Just now, isaanistical said:

Not calling you a liar, but my wife told me today she uses the same Rabbit card on Blue MRT and BTS. Certainly it works on the useless Yellow Line, and I have never heard of a Red one.

Ah, the more long-term members know who I work for :whistling:

I'm afraid your lady is mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Ah, the more long-term members know who I work for :whistling:

I'm afraid your lady is mistaken.

Enlighten us? (I have only been here 28 years).

If youre right and my wife is wrong (which has never happened before), how come Rabbit works on Yellow, which is an MRT line not a BTS one? Even the lack of logic is wrong!

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

Working on it since 2012 and no progress.  Long and bumpy indeed.

There have been some valiant attempts, Rabbit came within an ace of working on Blue and Purple when the Purple Line was in development, thwarted by "commercial issues".

Then there was the ill-fated Mangmoom, which never worked anywhere.

• Like 2

Fog lifting, but

Green, Pink and Yellow are operated by BTSC (as BTS, NBM and EBM) - Rabbit

so how come the Yellow jobbie is clearly signed all over it "MRT"? Or in this case were you solely talking about the ticketing?

[Blackadder: "I have always been content to wear cotton, without bothering to know how it works"............]

52 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

so how come the Yellow jobbie is clearly signed all over it "MRT"? Or in this case were you solely talking about the ticketing?

It actually says MRTA (Mass Rapid Transit Authority) which is the government agency the controls all except Green (which is BMA) and Red (Ministry of Railways).

MRT is the colloquial name for the Blue Line from way back. Coined to distinguish it from the BTS Skytrain.

As I said, dashed confusing.

Note the front of the train.

image.jpeg.17a6a019efa14d896a02dcc08cfbd53a.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's a suggestion: Ask cities who DO have an integrated system, and have had for many years, how they got it to work. And how they avoided 20 years of fruitless discussions, studies and committees reporting to other committees.

Been there, done that, even had LTA from Singapore in to talk.

Sadly TiT!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's a suggestion: Ask cities who DO have an integrated system, and have had for many years, how they got it to work. And how they avoided 20 years of fruitless discussions, studies and committees reporting to other committees.

Committees are important.

Committees have coffee, whiskey and salary.

I want to be on a committee.????????

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

B/W print; A London Transport bus conductor in uniform issues a ticket to a  passenger using a Gibson ticket machine by Walter A Curtin, Jun 1951 |  London Transport Museum

P860 Ticket Machine - TIM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hairyhippy/12373065024

P860 Ticket Machine - TIM

This type of bus ticket machine was made by Ticket Issuing Machines, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, an offshoot of the Roneo company. The business was approached in 1931 by London United Tramways to design a portable ticket printer.

Yes, I've been around ticketing for a loooong time ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newnative said:

I find it is an inconvenience.  First, I have to carry two cards, not one.  I have to keep track of the amounts I have on two cards, not one.  I have to stand in line at the service desks to keep two cards topped up, not one.  Both the MRT and the BTS cards are the same size and shape and the same yellowy orange color and several times in a rush I've mistakenly tried to use the wrong card going thru the turnstiles.  When my partner and I use the airport rail link, even though we are carrying both cards, neither work and we have to cue up yet again to a vending machine to buy a token.  

Whoa. i feel your pain. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Committees are important.

Committees have coffee, whiskey and salary.

I want to be on a committee.????????

I'll set up a committee to decide if you are qualified to be on a committee. Get back to you in, oh, 20 years from now?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe some day Bangkok will join the 21st century and integrate all the mass transit systems into one card.  Until then we will just have to scratch our heads and stand in utter amazement.  As a former newspaper columnist used to say.....TIT.

• Sad 1