“Get out in the sun”, Thai doctors

webfact

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Alternatively , eat foods with more vitamin D , more fish for example.

Not enough for people who is deficient in Vitamin D, I had problems before I startet to take 3000iu daily 7 months + travelled frequently to sunny places in the wintertime when living up north. Even my diet was fish and food rich in vitamin D. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs walks around with an umbrella all the time... except when it rains!

she stays inside because you will get sick from the "germs" in the rain. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Also it is known taking supplements isn't the same long-term, not a solution. Same issue with vegans etc.

Ehm

Taking supplements is better if you have problem with skin damage and high risk for skin cancer, and no different from exposure to sun. 

https://www.medicinenet.com/is_a_vitamin_d_supplement_as_good_as_sunlight/article.htm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thaw Thais are very racist towards their dark skinned counterparts. I have seen it so many times. Even my son stopped swimming and playing in the pool because he was getting teased for his darker skin. Sad. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The manual workers are out in the sun every day ,working ,

so she must mean the better off Thai's ,especially the ladies,

you would think they were vampires the things they do to

keep out of the sun.

regards worgeordie

I dont know if you´re correct??? I live in Chaiyaphum, Isaan that is. And here EVERYBODY, no matter who really, stay away from the sun. No matter if they are rich,. well off´s or farmers or house-wifes. Even the farmers cover up themselfs... They have these bandanas (?) wrapped round their heads. Longsleeved shirts, and always long pants, and on top of that almost always gloves.....

This is NOT a fashion-thing among the well-offs´, this is a fashion-thing among the whole thai population almost.... It is terrible to see on some of them, their blue blood-venes on their legs showing... Like we said back home when I was young, they look like they either spent long time in jail, or being sick and indoors for a long time, or both.... 

Sad thing is that as a falang I expect to find these beutiful girls with their copper-coloured skin here, instead I find the very same skin (or even worse) that I find home in falang-land.....

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Not enough for people who is deficient in Vitamin D, I had problems before I startet to take 3000iu daily 7 months + travelled frequently to sunny places in the wintertime when living up north. Even my diet was fish and food rich in vitamin D. 

May I ask, what kind of problem do you mean you develop with lack of Vitamin D???

47 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

May I ask, what kind of problem do you mean you develop with lack of Vitamin D???

Rickets. Occasionally I see older people with severely bowed legs.  It could be osteoporosis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was rickets from avoiding the sun when they were young.

17 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

"I believe science says that just 10 minutes a day is actually enough already, if possible during the early morning,"

Not too early, the sun has to be at a 50 degrees+ angle to generate significant Vit D; this equates to roughly 10am -3pm in Thailand.  

5 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

Depressed, powerless, low hormones, pain in body/ joint pain, back pain especially, 

The older you get and untreated, depressed and low testosterone. 

Nuts!  The sun shines so much in Thailand yet they still don't get enough sun to actually be lacking in vitamin D.   it's not surprising though considering what they do to avoid the sun.   Such strange people.  I understand if you don't want to sit in the sun all day but even just going to the 7-11 they cover up like they will evaporate if their skin even catches a glimpse of the sun.  JESUS!  a couple of mins in the sun won't kill you and obviously is good for daily dose of vitamin D.     And they way they live as well its nuts. windows and curtains always shut.  God forbid the sun shines through.  the way they are in their rooms you'd think they was all on the run.  windows and curtains shut all the time and never go out.