Is Elon Musk right to ditch the Twitter logo?

Social Media

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you trolling? 

There are many successful rebrands. 

Elrond to Multiversx. 

Blue Ribband to Nike

Snickers to Marathon etc. 

Nothing comparable to this.

Checked out Snickers vs marathon since I never heard of that one. No surprise since Snickers was and still is the global brand name.

Edited by stevenl
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you trolling? 

There are many successful rebrands. 

Elrond to Multiversx. 

Blue Ribband to Nike

Snickers to Marathon etc. 

Marathon not a very good example. Started as Snickers in the US and has remained so.

Started as Marathon in the UK, changed to Snickers then back to Marathon, then back to Snickers again now I think

MultiversX is down around 50% in the last year

Edited by Bkk Brian

32 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Marathon not a very good example. Started as Snickers in the US and has remained so.

Started as Marathon in the UK, changed to Snickers then back to Marathon, then back to Snickers again now I think

MultiversX is down around 50% in the last year

Wow, confusing. 

Multiversx coin is down, but the company have grown a lot.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the actual computer technology behind Twitter is not extremely complicated.

Apparently Zuck and the entire coder/developer brigade at Meta disagree... The Threads rollout was ahem, a lot less than Twitter. Any other social media site with the breadth of features Twitter had before Musk? 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

i thought he bought it to shut them up.

And sack all the people that closed his account.

Revenge seems a pretty good reason to me, if you have money to burn.

If i were rich I'd love buying up the 'wokes' safe places and putting them out of work.

Imagine having enough money to buy the banks of your opponents, then close their accounts and foreclose on their mortgages.

So... Imagine being a megalomaniac? 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I hated the old logo and owners, with a new one, I am tempted to use it more. 

Rebranding is nothing new. 

Seems to me that musk is a nightmare and we ain't seen the end of his silly illogical acts/comments.

As said the bird brand logo had enoumouse brand value, why touch it.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO what Musk bought was the brand Twitter including the well-known logo and the millions of users.

Soon after he bought it, he changed a lot, often A to B and back to A.

Now he also changes the name and the logo. What is still left of what used to be Twitter?

I think the actual computer technology behind Twitter is not extremely complicated. I am sure engineers could recreate it for less than 1% of the price what he paid for Twitter.

So what did he pay all that money for? His ego?

The basic software probably isn't. Technical issues like streaming at scale are complex. Balancing a huge number of servers and staying up can be a challenge.

I don't think it really matters what Musk does to twitter anymore. He said it was nearly bankrupt and now he's trying anything to get a dead cat to bounce. I suspect the calculus behind this move is to purge the <deleted> image that twitter had among conservatives, the exact process which has caused the demise of twitter in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

s for the metaverse - it's a huge flop and will remain so. Not all technology advances will appeal to consumers, and the metaverse is of that ilk. No doubt also - despite millions of takers, Zuckerberg's attempt at a Twitter rival will also flop due to people just waning off the platform. Twitter/X has a vastly superior user base and Zuckerbergs @ - has a few major disadvantages to Twitter, that will ultimately see it's demise. One of them being the lack of a desktop app

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/10/exit-the-internet-enter-the-metaverse-your-online-future-is-in-3d

https://www.idealisttechnology.com/en/the-future-of-internet-metaverse

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2022/06/30/the-metaverse-in-2040/

Edited by Neeranam

9 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Apparently Zuck and the entire coder/developer brigade at Meta disagree... The Threads rollout was ahem, a lot less than Twitter. Any other social media site with the breadth of features Twitter had before Musk? 

Chatroom software is simple and you can literally download code to do it from all over the net. The difficultly is managing the scale, call it 'backroom' or whatever, handling 100's of millions of messages per day and cross referencing them according to tags, users and other data is a monumental challenge.

One of EM's complaints was that the Twitter model had been made unnecessarily complex by software engineers who wanted their talents to become indispensable. And he is almost certainly correct because every dick in the software universe knew what was happening at Twitter - except for EM - who didn't realize until it was too late and tried to blame it on bots, or unknown quantities thereof.

All Zuck had to do was create a nominal chatroom front-end and plug it into his existing Insta model. Which explains why every Insta user got a preregistered account. Essentially, Threads wasn't an effort for Meta because they had all the backroom infrastructure in place already.

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me that musk is a nightmare and we ain't seen the end of his silly illogical acts/comments.

As said the bird brand logo had [enormous] brand value, why touch it.

Almost as intelligent of a choice as paying $44billion for the company.

Should have used a derriere for the new logo, everyone will think of him whenever they see it. 

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Almost as intelligent of a choice as paying $44billion for the company.

Should have used a derriere for the new logo, everyone will think of him whenever they see it. 

Plus the X logo doesn't stand out, doesn't present as an individual/stand alone identifier, The blue bird did. Strange man. 

Musk has a bigger vision than most. He wants to turn the Twitter platform into a Free World version of WeChat. It's not something I would want to use, just like I don't want a Tesla. But Musk is willing to roll the dice on big financial bets. They usually pay off, or he wouldn't be the world's richest man. Twitter as a brand was too constricting for what Musk has in mind. And in this day and age, brands don't mean as much as they once did. Otherwise, we'd all still be shopping at Sears, K-Mart, Toys R Us, and Blockbuster, while using a Compaq computer.

Interesting to see what twitter looks like after reading the comments.

I cant see Elon Musks angle? I now have a black icon with X written underneath it on my home screen , there is no encouragement to open it, looks like a real bad attempt at rebranding, the only thing I can see is self destruction?