Weed-Wackers..TOO LOUD?: Do YOU Have any SUGGESTIONS for a Quieter Weed-wacker Design??? (E.g., Plutonium-238-Powered, Hydrogen-Elektrek, etc.)?

Dear Folks,

Early this morning, I was sitting outside my abode with my black-butterfly friends sipping iced green Chinese tea, lazily enjoying this new El-Nino weather and the Hawaiian-like Sky above Chiang Mai, marveling at all that vast blue clarity above me broken only by the puffy cirrocumulous drifting past so slowly, and so high, up there. I was at peace.

And then, not far away, I could hear the sound of somebody yanking, and yanking, and yanking on the pull-cord of one of those weed wackers. I had hoped beyond hope that the weed wacker had died, but no.

Alas, all that yanking bore fruit and the entire neighborhood was soon filled with the horrendous din we have all come to know and endure. 

Some weed wackers are loud, and others are louder, and still others are way off the decibel chart.

This morning’s wacker was extremely loud, and I began to wonder what country might have the loudest wackers on Earth.  I also considered the question of how to make a wacker almost silent while whacking. I am no engineer, but I am sure a quieter whack is fully achievable.

What about making a wacker powered by electricity which is cordless and can rely on a power source that is lightweight and portable? Plutonium-238 has been used in some of the spacecraft we send up into space to power electric generators. Also, hydrogen is used to power small generators and even cell phones, and all you get is water vapor or water on your desk.  And even propane can be used in forklift trucks, which are as silent as can be.

Of course, I could go on for pages and pages sharing my suggestions and thoughts, except I would rather hear yours.

Thank you, Folks!

This is Gamblin Goblin….

Signing off….

For now….

(Thank you.)

Please Note: This morning, I searched on Google for the loudest wacker on Earth. I first searched in the Deep South of the USA, because I know those red-necks down there love ANYTHING that makes a LOT of NOISE.  Those American Red-necks below in places like Tennessee and Alabama are a scream a minute.

Here is just one example (and, yes, I DO love these guys!):

Too much NOISY WHACKING going on here....Driving me crazy…

In Addition and a Word of Advice, Too: 

Anytime I feel this craziness coming upon me, due to all the loud whacking, I don my AUDIO TECHNICA headphones and listen to Steven Tyler’s great song….CRAZY… 

Wow, his daughter is just so beautiful and nice. After I don my AUDIO TECHNICAs and begin listening to this amazing tune at full blast, I stop thinking so much about the wackers, and more about the whacking, instead.  Such a solace, both these headphones and this wonderful tune, which is my favorite weedwacker music….

Yes, Folks, “wacker” is the NOUN form, and “whacking” is the VERB!

PROTECT YOUR EARS!, all you whackers out there!

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I'll have to visit an optometrist. At first glance, I thought it was a dissertation on masturbatory activities.

Maybe it is, and you are avoiding the mods with euphemisms.

In this Universe, there is no single "reality", and NOTHING is "either or".

I would have thought that this is the single most important concept you learned in your undergrad days, studying the elementary and fundamental concepts common to all of SCIENCE.

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In this Universe, there is no single "reality", and NOTHING is "either or".

I would have thought that this is the single most important concept you learned in your undergrad days, studying the elementary and fundamental concepts common to all of SCIENCE.

IIRC there is wave theory and particle theory to describe light.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

scissors?

Do you recall that Mr. Mao, or one of his minions, suggested that it was better for The Chinese People to use SPOONS to dig canals and dikes and dams?

So, you are saying that using scissors to cut grass in Thailand might solve any possible employment problems for the foreseeable future?

Scissors are truly the quietest solution, as you imply.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you recall that Mr. Mao, or one of his minions, suggested that it was better for Chinese people to use SPOONS to dig canals and dikes and dams?

So, you are saying that using scissors to cut grass in Thailand might solve any possible employment problems for the foreseeable future?

Glyphosate is pretty quiet too.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you recall that Mr. Mao, or one of his minions, suggested that it was better for The Chinese People to use SPOONS to dig canals and dikes and dams?

youre welcome friend...snip snip...

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Lazada have a few. 

"Cordless string trimmers are powered with a lithium ion battery and typically run for between 15 to 60 minutes of continuous use. Once discharged, the battery will need to be recharged – depending on whether or not you have a fast charger (often an upsell), recharging will take from 30 minutes to about 2 hours." (https://gardeningproductsreview.com/best-cordless-battery-powered-string-trimmers-reviews/#:~:text=Cordless string trimmers are powered,minutes to about 2 hours.)

Therefore, a battery powered wacker seems impractical for roadside work along our highways and byways.

This is why something like hydrogen might work better...(or maybe not?)...

Hydrogen can store a LOT of energy...

But, the hydrogen tank might be to heavy for the average lawn guy, or highway worker.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

"Cordless string trimmers are powered with a lithium ion battery and typically run for between 15 to 60 minutes of continuous use. Once discharged, the battery will need to be recharged – depending on whether or not you have a fast charger (often an upsell), recharging will take from 30 minutes to about 2 hours." (https://gardeningproductsreview.com/best-cordless-battery-powered-string-trimmers-reviews/#:~:text=Cordless string trimmers are powered,minutes to about 2 hours.)

Therefore, a battery powered wacker seems impractical for roadside work along our highways and byways.

This is why something like hydrogen might work better...(or maybe not?)...

Hydrogen can store a LOT of energy...

But, the hydrogen tank might be to heavy for the average lawn guy, or highway worker.

For domestic use Extra spare battery.( Roadside work is not done so often and normally pass in 30min,) some people spend 4-6hrs. what pees me off is the way they rev them constantly up and down, instead of a constant speed.

• Thumbs Up 1