Phuket Airport to create area for all registered taxis to pick up passengers

snoop1130

My ex #3 owns a small 'airport' hotel since about 2012.  She is forbidden by the airport authorities to collect hotel guests from the airport in her private car because it is not a registered taxi. She can drop off guests at the airport but is fined (regularly) when she tries to meet her prebooked guests.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

My ex #3 owns a small 'airport' hotel since about 2012.  She is forbidden by the airport authorities to collect hotel guests from the airport in her private car because it is not a registered taxi. She can drop off guests at the airport but is fined (regularly) when she tries to meet her prebooked guests.

With a private car she is also not legally allowed to drop off guests at the airport.
IMO rightfully so

Flew into Phuket 3 times, and simply rented a car, which turned out cheaper in the long run, for the 24 hrs of use.  Along with having it to explore during that time.

I refuse to take a taxi that doesn't use the meter.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket Airport is paid an undisclosed amount of money for its taxi concession that has caused decades of high fares, extortion and poor service for arriving tourists. The ‘monopoly’ has effectively blocked any real attempts to provide a real alternative. Even the bus service has been relegated to a ‘difficult to find’ area to the north of the domestic terminal arrival area.

฿฿฿Cha-Ching฿฿฿

PIA + Taxi Mafia - 1 plus a whole lot of incoming ฿฿฿฿฿฿฿฿฿
Foreign Tourist - 0 plus a whole lot of outgoing ฿฿฿฿฿฿฿฿฿

Enriching yourselves at the expense of foreign tourist?
Priceless

I warn people I know away from Phuket.  Getting ripped off immediately after deboarding the plane isn't a good way to start a vacation.  There are too many other better places to go in Thailand.

Edited by connda