Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists?

I don't necessarily believe that "super smart people" do not believe in a God in some form or other, however, I do think that they would reject institutions, doctrine and any religion, or anything else invented by humans to explain or define a "god idea". Instead, I think they would all define this notion for themselves personally and privately, if they would find it necessary to do so, and not adhere to the standard god model offered up by the major religions.

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You were the one defending religion. I just asked a question which you repeatedly dodged.

Where do I defend religion, I try to explain the logic behind why so many believe in one way or other, be it religion or anything else that glue people together.  A major reason  why it is important to have a common belief/faith in a society, is to manage to pull in the same direction, and also willing to die for the same reasons to protect what they have.

When all nutheads is on their own, the society falls apart, and many people do not function without being told what to believe or told what to do.

A mans worst enemy, is a life without purpose! 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So, there are three deist religions who advocate killing of non-believers. Oscar Schindler got a free pass.

Thanks for confirming religion is a form of mental illness.

Or  perfect weapon of control and purpose?

From American Mark Twain:

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight."

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

From American Mark Twain:

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight."

Twain is GREAT:

You see?

Twain uses the word "cut" and "straight".

Which, of course, leads the reader to immediately think of a straight razor.

• Love It 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:58 AM, JensenZ said:

"a well known fact". "Almost INVARIABLY".

Who told you this? You have been mislead by some dishonest atheists. They want you believe this, but it's nonsense. You can't prove something just by calling it a "well known fact" and not backing it up. It's easier to prove you wrong than you proving yourself right because...

The list of religious scientists is long.

Have a read of this long list of famous and/or well known Christian scientists. It's well researched with 463 references, so that should keep you busy for awhile. We are fortunate to have people to do exhaustive research on this to dispell the stereotype of all scientists being atheists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

This list only covers Christian scientists. If you we include other religions, the list would grow much longer.

Like most forms of mental illness, the disorder known as religion crosses all social boundaries.

No real point in making lists of those afflicted. To see the magnitude of the impairment just make a list of the multitude of different religions now extant, most of which claim to be the only 'true' one. 55555!

Unfortunately it's all but incurable and has plagued mankind from the beginning of time.

Fortunately, as society becomes more enlightened, the fraction of society suffering from this delusion gradually decreases, as statistics clearly show, especially in the EU.

It won't happen in my lifetime but this 'destroyer of reason' will eventually be eradicated, hopefully before we make it the stars and poison other intelligent life there.

3 hours ago, mike_rad said:

Which were?

Apart from his STR, which,

"The special theory of relativity has been disproved theoretically"

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/784989 

here's the full version:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/297527784_Challenge_to_the_Special_Theory_of_Relativity

What nonsense!

On regular basis scientists confirm Einstein's work. Gravitational lensing is a good example. His very earliest work showing that light can also manifest in

particle form is another. That has long been accepted as demonstrably correct from the simplest of experiments.

To date his grossest error was a refusal to accept his own findings, which laid the groundwork for quantum theory. Oh, and he also suffered the God Delusion. Hey nobody is perfect.

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Where do I defend religion, I try to explain the logic behind why so many believe in one way or other, be it religion or anything else that glue people together.  A major reason  why it is important to have a common belief/faith in a society, is to manage to pull in the same direction, and also willing to die for the same reasons to protect what they have.

When all nutheads is on their own, the society falls apart, and many people do not function without being told what to believe or told what to do.

Yet here you are defending religion. It is not necessary or desirable to "pull in the same direction" and I'm not willing to die for a religious belief. If you think life has no purpose without religion you belong in the same place as those who believe that atheists have no morals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

The appeal of religion partly rests on belief there is an afterlife, and therefore purpose. Many people cannot accept the concept this life may be all there is.

Kerry Packer many years ago suffered an extensive cardiac arrest, and was successfully resuscitated. He said to his son afterwards: " I've been to the other side, and there is nothing there".

When I have an anaesthetic, there is nothing there either.

Perhaps Buddhists have the best handle on what happens after death, Nirvana, a state of nothingness. Although I do balk at the intervening concept of repeated reincarnations.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:10 AM, JensenZ said:

The purpose of my reply was to prove that you are wrong in saying that all scientists are atheists and provided a very long list of Christian scientists over many centuries including scientists still living.

You said, (quote): "It is a well known fact that ALL scientists are atheists".

In this debate it is irrelevant what the scientist you are quoting has to say about religion as I will gladly concede that many scientists are indeed atheists. 

Anyway, let's hear what one of the greatest scientific minds of the 20th century had to say about God and religion:

For Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."[44][45] He told William Hermanns in an interview that "God is a mystery. But a comprehensible mystery. I have nothing but awe when I observe the laws of nature. There are not laws without a lawgiver, but how does this lawgiver look?... Einstein devised a theology for the cosmic religion, wherein the rational discovery of the secrets of nature is a religious act.[45] His religion and his philosophy were integral parts of the same package as his scientific discoveries.[45]

Einstein stated, "I am not an Atheist."[9] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."[27]

Accordingly a religious person is devout in the sense that he has no doubt of the significance of those super-personal objects and goals which neither require nor are capable of rational foundation ... In this sense religion is the age-old endeavor of mankind to become clearly and completely conscious of these values and goals and constantly to strengthen and extend their effect. If one conceives of religion and science according to these definitions then a conflict between them appears impossible. For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be...[38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_philosophical_views_of_Albert_Einstein#:~:text=Einstein said people can call,god is a childlike one.

Einstein certainly didn't believe in any kind of personal god, or the god of the bible. He used 'god' as a proxy for his sense of wonder about the universe.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Lots of scientists are atheists, and the higher up you get in the academy of science, the more likely you are to be an atheist. However, it's ridiculous, and obviously trolling to claim all scientists and all super-smart people are atheists. It's simply not true.

The reason that many scientists are atheists is because they are trained in a style of thinking that goes against the type of thinking needed to maintain religious beliefs. Scientists, and anybody else that thinks clearly knows that snakes don't talk. 

• Love It 1

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yet here you are defending religion. It is not necessary or desirable to "pull in the same direction" and I'm not willing to die for a religious belief. If you think life has no purpose without religion you belong in the same place as those who believe that atheists have no morals.

I explain reasonable possible reasons, not defending it. Cut the crap!

Edited by Hummin

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The appeal of religion partly rests on belief there is an afterlife, and therefore purpose. Many people cannot accept the concept this life may be all there is.

Kerry Packer many years ago suffered an extensive cardiac arrest, and was successfully resuscitated. He said to his son afterwards: " I've been to the other side, and there is nothing there".

When I have an anaesthetic, there is nothing there either.

Perhaps Buddhists have the best handle on what happens after death, Nirvana, a state of nothingness. Although I do balk at the intervening concept of repeated reincarnations.

Im talk about this life, and for some, religion give reasons to live. I also believe many who learn buddhism will se there is alot more to it, that ties them up in a conform lifestyle and it comes with complex rules to follow as well as anything else. 

I do not believe in man made reasons to live, I believe more in Nature and the law of nature. 

We are born, we need food, safety and shelter, and also reproduce. In a bigger scale with bigger societies, rules is needed, war comes and go in the need of more territories for survival reasons, and therefor religion have been used as a political tool to fight evil. 

Original religious people had another sense of reality and often seen as a mental state. Others easy to be manipulated to follow, as well political leaders see the benefits of using religion as a tool. 

The rest of us, understand the purposes, but really do not believe either in religion or politicians but are forced to choose side to protect ourselves and our families for lesser evil.

The benefits are stability for most! 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you so desperate for threads that you come up with this nonsense unproven supposition?

The evidence that a greater power exists all around us, but the willfully blind will never see it.

Provide proof that there is no God, or it's not true.

Teapots have nothing to do with the existence of God, and such is just stupid deflection.

Here we go. He's baaaa-ack:cheesy:

On 7/27/2023 at 10:56 AM, bob smith said:

JP does NOT believe in god as a physical entity who supposedly greets you upon your arrival at the gates of heaven.

He believes in the apparent benefits contained within the teachings of the Holy Bible and it's application to modern psychology as a potential form of self improvement.

BIG difference. 

Nobody should care what Jordan Peterson thinks ???????? this clown put himself in a Russian, experimental, medically induced coma to try and beat his crippling addiction to benzodiazepines which resulted in possible permanent brain damage. Also pushes a ridiculous "only beef" diet on the fast track to kidney failure.

He's a big, big Clown who should have disappeared from the public years ago. 

• Love It 1

On 7/27/2023 at 5:40 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a question for you? From where did he derive his "glory"?

Was he a freak of nature, or was his intelligence "designed" by the architect of the universe.

Also, in nature, are humans more important than an ant?

If scientists are such great people, why do so many use their intellect to create the ways to kill other people in their millions? Why do scientists design bioweapons that can only be used to bring death to masses of other people?

Scientists? Purveyors of death more like.

Want evidence of God? Plenty of evidence of the devil at work on this planet, and in nature there is always ying and yang - ergo, if the devil exists, IMO God must also exist.

Rubbish and nonsense.

Same ole same ole. ????

On 7/27/2023 at 6:14 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Please clarify what you mean by "physical", because otherwise your question is impossible to address.

Before you get yourself too "woo'ed", worked up, stupified and up to yo ass in the weeds with this guy (and others)...suggest you go to this long winded thread so you can get a feel for what BS you are up against. Possibly the longest (and most ridiculous) threads on ThaiVisa/AsianNow. 4+ years and still going. I gave up after 3 years. Reason, logic, evidence and common sense just do not resonate with some. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, Eleftheros said:

Now that most people are atheistic or agnostic

HuhThe VAST majority of the current global population are religious. Approximately 85%You couldn't be too much more incorrect. ????

:clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7

On 7/27/2023 at 10:11 AM, KannikaP said:

I too have never heard of the Dick fellow, and am insulted that you suggest that I have been hiding under a rock.

I wonder how many people are in this World that YOU have never heard of.

Oversensitive and easily insulted and much????

On 7/27/2023 at 5:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists?

Garbage.

IMO an actually smart person would admit that no one can actually know that for sure, and be open for evidence one way or the other.

Such evidence has not yet been found.

Can't know for sure.... yep. Downside is that that is agnostic while atheist is a rejection of the claim of knowledge that an intervening god exists. It's so simple, shockingly so, that it's incredible the number of people who don't understand. We use this same logic in law and have done for centuries. It's guilty or not guilty rather than guilty or innocent.