Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

39 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He is one that always surprises me, believing in god. I would have loved to see a debate between him and Christopher Hitchens. I think Hitchens would have eaten him alive.

I think a lot comes down to what people define as "god".

Is it the old man in the sky who knows everything?

Or is it somewhere a feeling of people that there is something like a striving for good or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day scientist discover that we all have some kind of brain waves with which we communicate and influence each other (rough idea).

But I am sure nobody will ever find any creature which created everything, controls everything, etc. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Jordan Peterson is a famous example.

JP does NOT believe in god as a physical entity who supposedly greets you upon your arrival at the gates of heaven.

He believes in the apparent benefits contained within the teachings of the Holy Bible and it's application to modern psychology as a potential form of self improvement.

BIG difference. 

Edited by bob smith

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, one god did it all.

This obviously leaves the little question open where that god came from. But we don't want to go too much into details here.

We really don't need another god thread in this forum. 

He must be an amazing bloke or stupid to (a) create the world in the dark or (b) not to create light till he finished so worn out he needed a day off.  :cheesy:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

JP does NOT believe in god as a physical entity.

He believes in the teachings of the Holy Bible and it's application to modern psychology as a potential form of self improvement.

BIG difference. 

I saw lots of videos from him. Sometimes he asks the questions, sometimes he answers questions.

I agree that he talks a lot about bible stories. But since maybe a year or two he also talks a lot about god.

Not long ago I saw a video in which he kind of answers if he believes in god. But his answer is so complicated that after listing for a few minutes I still don't know his answer. I guess the summary is: it's complicated. 

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He must be an amazing bloke or stupid to (a) create the world in the dark or (b) not to create light till he finished so worn out he needed a day off.  :cheesy:

Who said god was a bloke? You must be drunk.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Sad response. You must have to hire hookers.

No I don't Have too, it not compulsory, but really just how did "God'' organize you to get a gf. How do you know it was not just a coincident, or that you are just a sexy hansom mann.

Do you live in SIN ? I do not.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Sad 1

Personally, I think the Universe consists of teams, like the Premier League, or the NFL. Every few billion years another team gets a chance to create a Universe, then every other team gets to sit back and watch how it works. When each team has had its shot, one winner emerges.

One team decides to make Planck's Constant this: 6.62607015×10−34 J⋅Hz−1......then see what happens. Some other team 'jiggles' (a favorite Feynman word) the digits, sets Planck's constant at a different level, then everyone gets to see what happens anew.

Then the teams vote on who made the best Universe. The season ends with one winner, then rinse and repeat.

Oh, and my teams always existed, so nobody has to ask where they came from.

Now some of you might be agnostic to this team system, or heaven forbid, even atheist to it. There is equal proof (none) to my system as any of your gods, so at best you can only be agnostic to it.

Don't buy into my Team System? Oh, ye of little faith!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Personally, I think the Universe consists of teams, like the Premier League, or the NFL. Every few billion years another team gets a chance to create a Universe, then every other team gets to sit back and watch how it works. When each team has had its shot, one winner emerges.

One team decides to make Planck's Constant this: 6.62607015×10−34 J⋅Hz−1......then see what happens. Some other team 'jiggles' (a favorite Feynman word) the digits, sets Planck's constant at a different level, then everyone gets to see what happens anew.

Then the teams vote on who made the best Universe. The season ends with one winner, then rinse and repeat.

Oh, and my teams always existed, so nobody has to ask where they came from.

Now some of you might be agnostic to this team system, or heaven forbid, even atheist to it. There is equal proof (none) to my system as any of your gods, so at best you can only be agnostic to it.

Don't buy into my Team System? Oh, ye of little faith!

• Like 1

BTW, Feynman was a promising grad student who was seconded to Los Alamos to work on the bomb. He wasn't at the level (at that time) of Hans Bethe or Fermi or Teller or von Neumann or Lawrence or Rabi, but apparently worked out a lot of the complex math.

In the new movie Oppenheimer, I suspect the director made passing reference to Feynman by one or two short scenes where someone is playing the bongos.

In this photo, Feynman is behind Fermi, and to Oppenheimer's left.

image.png.7b1dd0e65938313106f9c10880117736.png

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, bignok said:

Sad response. You must have to hire hookers.

And you pray to a god that gives children cancer? Oh, that's right, he works in mysterious ways.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bignok said:

She is a liar. No crisis. Temps have fallen since 2016.

Stop talking nonsense.  It's the hottest June on record, plus 1.4 degrees C compared to average zero 1850 - 1900. The trending year on year is blindingly obvious.

Source: Berkeley Earth.

climate(2).html

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No I don't Have too, it not compulsory, but really just how did "God'' organize you to get a gf. How do you know it was not just a coincident, or that you are just a sexy hansom mann.

Do you live in SIN ? I do not.

The concept of original sin is unique to the Christian religion.

It's some God, that thinks helpless babies are capable of sinning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

There's a famous quote from the Nobel physicist Steven Weinberg, which goes:

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil – that takes religion."

Hitler