Best place to buy brie?

Villapete

Any recommendations on the best place to buy brie in Pattaya? 

Not necessarily looking for the cheapest; reasonable quality, reasonable price is OK.

I am not really a cheese connoisseur, but I have recently taken to brie because it is low in lactose which is good for me.

I don't live too far from Villa market and I have bought from there recently; I am happy enough with that, but any other suggestions from brie experts would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Edited by Villapete
  • Like 1

Lotus at South Pattaya had a promotion on Monday with buy 1 slice get half a slice free. Not sure about now. Also Big-C in South Pattaya as well as Central Pattaya have a selection. Also as Jacko45k says, Tops @ Central. If you go to Big-C at Central Pattaya, then highly recommend a bottle of Aussi/Thai 2017 or better still 2016, Knight Black Horse to accompany the cheese. Only 399THB a bottle, 13% Cab Sav with a bit of Thai Roselle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Won't be easy to surpass Villa Market and TOPS but BigC Extra on Pattaya Klang is worth a visit.

Not impressed myself... quite expensive and small amounts overwrapped was my thoughts there. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RayWright said:

Lotus at South Pattaya had a promotion on Monday with buy 1 slice get half a slice free. Not sure about now. Also Big-C in South Pattaya as well as Central Pattaya have a selection. Also as Jacko45k says, Tops @ Central. If you go to Big-C at Central Pattaya, then highly recommend a bottle of Aussi/Thai 2017 or better still 2016, Knight Black Horse to accompany the cheese. Only 399THB a bottle, 13% Cab Sav with a bit of Thai Roselle.

Thanks Ray, Great suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't drink myself; teetotal for 8 years or so, and better for it. Hopefully, others will enjoy the wine recommendations though! I will venture to Tops and Big C though to see what is available on the brie front. All the best, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not impressed myself... quite expensive and small amounts overwrapped was my thoughts there. 

Yes, that is a point Jacko. I guess we are not going to find fromagerie quality here. I did chat to a French friend in Paris this morning and she said the prices I have been paying in Villa are similar to those in French supermakerkets ATM (about 8 euros for 200g). This is however supermarket quality and she said that cheeseshop and deli prices would be a lot higher, as would be the quality of the cheese in them. All the best, Peter

I don't know specifically about Brie but Dom's Pizza on Pratumnak Soi 5 has a deli section. I was getting some Blue cheese they sold from Chang Mai (I think) made from organic goats milk. They were ordering fresh weekly but they had a decent range of quality cheese.  Worth a look if your passing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Don't know how the average expat can afford cheese. It's so expensive here compared to back home.

Have a trip to Siamburi's at the top of Soi Khao Talo, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taxi said:

I don't know specifically about Brie but Dom's Pizza on Pratumnak Soi 5 has a deli section. I was getting some Blue cheese they sold from Chang Mai (I think) made from organic goats milk. They were ordering fresh weekly but they had a decent range of quality cheese.  Worth a look if your passing.

Great and noted! I will take a look next time I am in that area.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Villa Market in Bangkok has a nice selection. I guess their Pattaya shops will be similar. 

Yes, It is. I live near to the Villa market in Pattaya and shop there regularly. It maybe has more choice than the one in Bangkok because it is bigger. So, happy enough with it; was just seeing if there were other options too. All the best, Peter

Best french cheeses in  L auberge Restaurant (you can find on Facebook).. you can eat in the restaurant but also buy to take home).. the French owner/chef receives every week products from France.

Have a great day

• Thanks 1

Hi, just reading this and impressed by how much you know nothing but still reply...

Brie is French cheese and the only place selling French cheese from France is BigC Extra Pattaya Klang that has different brie.

Cheese is cheap at Siamburi or any expat shop but I would not call what they sell cheese, and of course they do not have any french cheese and of course no brie...

9 minutes ago, thailandbeachisland said:

Hi, just reading this and impressed by how much you know nothing but still reply...

Brie is French cheese and the only place selling French cheese from France is BigC Extra Pattaya Klang that has different brie.

Cheese is cheap at Siamburi or any expat shop but I would not call what they sell cheese, and of course they do not have any french cheese and of course no brie...

I guess you ignored the post above yours…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thailandbeachisland said:

There is real French cheese (and Spanish, Italian, English,...) at Villa Market.

3 hours ago, thailandbeachisland said:

Cheese is cheap at Siamburi or any expat shop but I would not call what they sell cheese,

What do you call it then? 

Cheese was around before Rome annexed France/Gaul.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, LOG54 said:

Best french cheeses in  L auberge Restaurant (you can find on Facebook).. you can eat in the restaurant but also buy to take home).. the French owner/chef receives every week products from France.

Have a great day

Thanks for this. I will certainly check this out very soon.

• Like 1