Those who have had their accounts closed by UK banks

3 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thanks, my son sorted the POA out on my last UK visit, all i did was signed the form but i would not think he would set up anything with any restrictions but i'll check with him. I just want him to have the authority to close the account in the event of my death and then transfer the dosh to my Thai wifey. 

If it is permissable according to the POA for him to go into HSBC and change the account to a joint account by adding his name then that would be fine, job done.    

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

If it's a sole account in your name your Son would not be able to close it after your death even if he has a POA as your account would be frozen until the Probate has been sorted out. 

If it's a joint account then the money should automatically revert to him (Rule of Survivorship) BUT this could be challenged by other people who have a legitimate claim on your estate (e.g. if you had other children).

This article describes one such instance where the joint account holder (her son) was forced to pay the money back to the estate 

https://www.gadlegal.co.uk/news/elder-law/the-inherent-dangers-of-joint-bank-accounts

Thanks great info. I don't have any assets in the UK other than my HSBC account which is in my sole name with my son as POA. I have no will. I am in the process of making it a joint account with my son as i understand what you say regarding my death and the issues with POA.

• Like 1

Hi,
I am from the UK but now retired and living in Thailand.
I still have a UK bank current account. My main assets are still in the UK, savings, house that I rent out, pensions, and I pay UK tax.

I think most of us need to still have a bank/building society in our home country mainly to have money paid into and to make transfers from. We may or may not need a debit and credit card.

I have used building society Fixed interest accounts, sometimes they insist on opening an instant access account but I have never actually wanted to use the instant access account.

I still have some fixed interest savings accounts and I think a couple of instant access accounts.

So my question is assuming a debit and credit card is not needed would a building society instant access be adequate for a UK expat living in Thailand? 

Or is there a reason why they would need a bank current account?
I am wondering when withdrawing money from a building society instant access account can you pay any external account or do you have to transfer the money out to your nominated bank current account?

Thanks in advance
Keith

12 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

I think most of us need to still have a bank/building society in our home country mainly to have money paid into and to make transfers from. We may or may not need a debit and credit card.

Open a Revolut bank account.

They have virtual and real debit cards.

Pal of mine just opened one using a UK address he lived at more than 30 years past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:55 AM, Keith5588 said:

Hi,
I still have a UK bank current account. My main assets are still in the UK, savings, house that I rent out, pensions, and I pay UK tax.

I have used building society Fixed interest accounts, sometimes they insist on opening an instant access account but I have never actually wanted to use the instant access account.

I still have some fixed interest savings accounts and I think a couple of instant access accounts.

So my question is assuming a debit and credit card is not needed would a building society instant access be adequate for a UK expat living in Thailand? 

I am wondering when withdrawing money from a building society instant access account can you pay any external account or do you have to transfer the money out to your nominated bank current account?

Thanks in advance
Keith

In my opinion only (!) if it was, for example, a Nationwide Flex a/c https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexaccount/ then yes, because it will allow you to set up Direct Debits and / or transfer money to other accounts, including abroad. (Various links emanating from the one I posted refer)

However......  it does say you need to be a UK resident - I don't know if HMRC regards you as such, given what you say about your main assets and paying tax.

You would need to check that point carefully.

On 10/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, VBF said:

In my opinion only (!) if it was, for example, a Nationwide Flex a/c https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexaccount/ then yes, because it will allow you to set up Direct Debits and / or transfer money to other accounts, including abroad. (Various links emanating from the one I posted refer)

However......  it does say you need to be a UK resident - I don't know if HMRC regards you as such, given what you say about your main assets and paying tax.

I strongly suspect that it will be more for Nationwide to decide whether @Keith5588 constitutes a UK resident within the meaning of their terms and conditions. However, it doesn't look to me like his chances of being regarded as such are that great.

That said, If he still considers it worthwhile seeking clarification of his residency status from HMRC, then the following link would appear to be a good starting-point:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt/guidance-note-for-statutory-residence-test-srt-rdr3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, VBF said:

UK Tax Resident check will tell you whether you're Tax Resident or not... https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=for tax purposes.-,UK tests,days of the tax year

At it's simplest, more than 183 days in the UK = Tax Resident, less than 16 days in the UK = non-tax resident, but in between these it depends on your history/"Home Ties"... 

E.g. I know I can spend at least 40 days in the UK as I've been Non-Tax resident for > 3 years but think if I spend > 90 days I'll be tax resident because I have 2 "Home Ties". 

BUT all that aside, being UK Resident & being UK Tax Resident are not necessarily the same thing, if I was to go to the UK for 91 days and declare myself UK Tax Resident I still wouldn't be UK Resident as I don't live there.  

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 10/9/2023 at 8:55 AM, Keith5588 said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Keith

Short answer "no". The instant access savings has limited use.

I am not sure what your concern is. I may have failed to join up the dots here but I thought that you were going back to the UK for 6 months (to sell the rental house?).

Having a UK address is the most important thing and will probably keep you under the 'expat exclusion' radar. Nationwide, IMO, are less likely to proactive action like Barclays are doing. If you have family in the UK, use their address as your correspondence address - if you are visiting the UK for a lengthy period that is the ideal time to get the address changed.  

I like WISE as a back up. They are ideal for transferring money to and holding funds for a short time.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

UK Tax Resident check will tell you whether you're Tax Resident or not... https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=for tax purposes.-,UK tests,days of the tax year

At it's simplest, more than 183 days in the UK = Tax Resident, less than 16 days in the UK = non-tax resident, but in between these it depends on your history/"Home Ties"... 

E.g. I know I can spend at least 40 days in the UK as I've been Non-Tax resident for > 3 years but think if I spend > 90 days I'll be tax resident because I have 2 "Home Ties". 

BUT all that aside, being UK Resident & being UK Tax Resident are not necessarily the same thing, if I was to go to the UK for 91 days and declare myself UK Tax Resident I still wouldn't be UK Resident as I don't live there.  

That was why I said and repeat (also to @hotandsticky)  "You would need to check that point carefully."  Everyone's circumstances are different and I'm NOT a tax professional.

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

That was why I said and repeat (also to @hotandsticky)  "You would need to check that point carefully."  Everyone's circumstances are different and I'm NOT a tax professional.

To be fair, you don't need to be a tax professional to establish whether you are UK tax resident, or not.

The ability to read and, more importantly, comprehend the HMRC guidelines is sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

To be fair, you don't need to be a tax professional to establish whether you are UK tax resident, or not.

The ability to read and, more importantly, comprehend the HMRC guidelines is sufficient.

Yes, that's correct...BUT, it can be a case of "The devil's in the detail"

I got into a mess with Inland Revenue (now HMRC) a long time ago. The tax professional I used, and still use, got me out of trouble legally and told me how to avoid getting into bother again. He also continues to monitor my financial affairs and gives me good advice on legally avoiding tax all of which helps me sleep nights!

His fees were and are much less than the amount of tax IR was trying to get out of me!

I repeat that everyone's circumstances are different, not to be difficult, but to stress that it's all too easy to fall into lawbreaking unwittingly.

• Like 1