Thai cinemas offer Chinese subtitles for the first time

webfact

ดีไซน์ที่ยังไม่ได้ตั้งชื่อ-33.jpg

One of Thailand’s largest cinema operators, SF Cinema, has introduced Chinese subtitles for its screenings. This marks the first time that Thai cinemas have offered Chinese subtitles, which will be welcomed by a significant number of Chinese nationals who visit and reside in Thailand.

SF Cinema announced the Chinese subtitles news on its official Facebook page yesterday, July 26. The page shared a picture of the American horror movie, Insidious, with a caption in two languages, Thai and Chinese. The caption stated…

“For the very first time enjoy #InsidiousMovie with a soundtrack system and Chinese subtitles at special branches of SF Cinema.”

The post also revealed that Chinese subtitles will be available in cinemas at SF Cinema at CentralWorld, Central Rama 9, and Maya Chiang Mai.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-cinemas-offer-chinese-subtitles-for-the-first-time

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

Interesting differences in provinces and population demographics.

Last weekend we went to see Mission Impossible - this is the first time I'm aware (we've lived in Chanthaburi since 2011) there has a been a screening of a movie in English, with Thai subtitles. 

Hardly economical - just seven in the theatre - me and six Thais.

The MI movies is still showing, but it appears to have been just the first week they had an English version in one of the theatres..

We go to movies often, and there hasn't been a movie with English subtitles either.

Such is life.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stoner said:

they won't stand for the song either.....come to think about it no one is anymore.

A few years back I noticed this trend, not one Thai standing. My Mrs used to give me the eyes and nod to stand in the past , now it’s the same look but to now stay seated.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

One of Thailand’s largest cinema operators, SF Cinema, has introduced Chinese subtitles for its screenings. This marks the first time that Thai cinemas have offered Chinese subtitles, which will be welcomed by a significant number of Chinese nationals who visit and reside in Thailand.

Please do not throw pop-corn around?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Interesting differences in provinces and population demographics.

Last weekend we went to see Mission Impossible - this is the first time I'm aware (we've lived in Chanthaburi since 2011) there has a been a screening of a movie in English, with Thai subtitles. 

Hardly economical - just seven in the theatre - me and six Thais.

The MI movies is still showing, but it appears to have been just the first week they had an English version in one of the theatres..

We go to movies often, and there hasn't been a movie with English subtitles either.

Such is life.

I haven't been to the cinema in 20 years and wont until they offer English subtitles.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:28 AM, flyingtlger said:

They're hardly coming....

What do  you mean? In Chiang Mai (the article mentions the cinema at Maya) it's FULL of Chinese. Tourists of course, but especially quite large numbers of long stay residents. In hospitals, a very impressive fraction of the customers are Chinese, so much that there are always interpreters in the staff. Ditto in shopping malls. Chinese restaurants are booming. Chinese schools. And so on.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

What do  you mean? In Chiang Mai (the article mentions the cinema at Maya) it's FULL of Chinese. Tourists of course, but especially quite large numbers of long stay residents. In hospitals, a very impressive fraction of the customers are Chinese, so much that there are always interpreters in the staff. Ditto in shopping malls. Chinese restaurants are booming. Chinese schools. And so on.

More farangs there

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Learn the local language where you live and it will help you.

For watching Hollywood movies? Never!

My Thai is good and after 20 years I still cringe when I watch Thai dubbed movies.