Climate change: July set to be world's warmest month on record

Social Media

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Now that you have internet, the oil companies hire trolls to send you misinformation about climate change, and you believe that stuff.

A somewhat blinkered view no?   Who is funding the 'research' that you are committed to believing or do you just assume they are the good guys as you have bought into another fear narrative and they are here to save the day?  After the covid era I am not prepared to believe either side as it is as clear as day that everyone is in it for their own gain, especially the 'good guys'.   I'll just carry on living as normal life as I choose, including the most efficient transport (in terms of time / convenience) for whatever journey I need to make, or holiday I wish to go on.    If battery tech improves enough to make electric cars the more practical choice then I will buy one when that is the case and not before.  

People are being manipulated on both sides here, probably for financial gain.   There is neither an apocalypse coming anytime soon, nor is 'nothing' happening as climate change has always been occurring since forever on this planet.   Improving air quality is something we should strive for, but not at the expense of going back to pre-industrial eras of poverty and low life expectancy whilst the richest and those in power carry on doing as they please.   Over time there will be tech solutions for the air quality issues that even China may adopt rather than using coal.  That day is probably decades away, but still probably millions of years before an actual apocalypse.  

• Haha 1

Just now, James105 said:

A somewhat blinkered view no?   Who is funding the 'research' that you are committed to believing or do you just assume they are the good guys as you have bought into another fear narrative and they are here to save the day?  After the covid era I am not prepared to believe either side as it is as clear as day that everyone is in it for their own gain, especially the 'good guys'.   I'll just carry on living as normal life as I choose, including the most efficient transport (in terms of time / convenience) for whatever journey I need to make, or holiday I wish to go on.    If battery tech improves enough to make electric cars the more practical choice then I will buy one when that is the case and not before.  

People are being manipulated on both sides here, probably for financial gain.   There is neither an apocalypse coming anytime soon, nor is 'nothing' happening as climate change has always been occurring since forever on this planet.   Improving air quality is something we should strive for, but not at the expense of going back to pre-industrial eras of poverty and low life expectancy whilst the richest and those in power carry on doing as they please.   Over time there will be tech solutions for the air quality issues that even China may adopt rather than using coal.  That day is probably decades away, but still probably millions of years before an actual apocalypse.  

You asked a simple question:

who is funding scientific research in atmospheric physics.

Anyone with any experience in science would thinks that's a funny question, since most research is done by grad students, who are not particulaly well paid.

There is a mish-mash of public and private organizations that fund science.  Published articles that don't hold up to peer review result in funding problems for the researchers.

As a result, researchers who contradict global warming get funded by the oil companies, who don't care about if the research is any good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

Aren't you the person who predicted fiat currency was going to fail several years ago? 

Anyway, your idea of common sense is uncommon nonsense.

Unlike many of the posters on the thread, I'm not an expert on Klimate Change. But I have an opinion, based on other's reports. Greats such as David Bellamy and Piers Corbyn.  Many others also; too many to mention.

As far as fiat currencies go. Was I not right about the digitisation of money in the west? And the fiat crash will come soon enough. Buy some gold. And yes! I am an expert on money.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not so much internet in the 1970s D23.

It was all over the BBC for a year or so. We were all rushing out to buy fur coats.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/89/9/2008bams2370_1.xml

THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS

An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

Edited by Danderman123

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/89/9/2008bams2370_1.xml

THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS

An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

As I stated D23, I was listening to the BBC. The number one go-to viewing for the facts. Didn't read up on the coming Ice age literature at all. Too busy dealing with life itself. Then came 1976, and the 'ice age' narrative was no more.

We used to chat about what the BBC was stating, while we were down the pub. Mostly we thought it bunkum. Fifty years on; I now think it's monumental bunkum.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Unlike many of the posters on the thread, I'm not an expert on Klimate Change. But I have an opinion, based on other's reports. Greats such as David Bellamy and Piers Corbyn.  Many others also; too many to mention.

As far as fiat currencies go. Was I not right about the digitisation of money in the west? And the fiat crash will come soon enough. Buy some gold. And yes! I am an expert on money.

Just because you refuse to provide links to those whack jobs, here we go.

In 2008 Bellamy signed the Manhattan Declaration, calling for the immediate halt to any tax-funded attempts to counteract climate change. He maintained a view that man-made climate change is "poppycock", insisting that climate change is part of a natural cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bellamy

Corbyn ran a weather monitoring company called WeatherAction in the 1990s and gained some prominence in the media for his predictions and, later more so, for his rejection of the scientific consensus on climate change.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, he was a prominent proponent of conspiracy theories. He described SARS-CoV-2 as a "hoax", frequently campaigned against lockdowns and against COVID-19 vaccines, and described COVID-19 vaccines as dangerous. Corbyn was arrested on several occasions for taking part in protests against public health laws, and for calling on supporters to commit violent acts against members of Parliament

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Corbyn

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, he was a prominent proponent of conspiracy theories. He described SARS-CoV-2 as a "hoax", frequently campaigned against lockdowns and against COVID-19 vaccines, and described COVID-19 vaccines as dangerous.

Don't know why you are bringing covid into it? But seeing as you did. Wasn't he so right?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Does the stratosphere stay the same temperature all the time?

The populas has been misled many times down the years. If you are so easily fooled; then so be it. But I tend to look behind the stage curtain. Look who is lurking in the wings?! Ask why all this stuff has descended upon us in the last few years.

Please answer the question: why is the Stratosphere cooling?

It sure looks like this question has short circuited you.

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

As I stated D23, I was listening to the BBC. The number one go-to viewing for the facts. Didn't read up on the coming Ice age literature at all. Too busy dealing with life itself. Then came 1976, and the 'ice age' narrative was no more.

We used to chat about what the BBC was stating, while we were down the pub. Mostly we thought it bunkum. Fifty years on; I now think it's monumental bunkum.

All you are saying is that you listen to the wrong sources about science.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

According to scientists, During the Cambrian Period, which lasted from 542 million to 485.4 million years ago, some sources estimate that CO2 levels may have been about 20 times higher than today, and temperatures were hotter by 10 degrees Celsius.

and if those temperatures were to return, billions would die.

You may be arguing against yourself.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

According to scientists, During the Cambrian Period, which lasted from 542 million to 485.4 million years ago, some sources estimate that CO2 levels may have been about 20 times higher than today, and temperatures were hotter by 10 degrees Celsius.

At one point, Erath was a spinning cinder.

So, I guess that fires are harmless in your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Don't know why you are bringing covid into it? But seeing as you did. Wasn't he so right?

Right.  It's not like hospitals were overwhelmed, morgues overflowing, healthcare workers (the ones who stayed healthy) worked to exhaustion and death rates skyrocketed....

Oh wait, they did.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

but... weren't those scientists saying in the 1970s that Global Cooling was coming?

Of course, I am joking, but there are some posters here who believe that, and don't believe science.

35 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Warmest on record? They have only been keeping records for the last few hundred years. The earth is some 4-5 billion years old. Where are the records for those years. Scientists have determined that the antarctic was once a rain forest and what about the ice ages that have only occurred 10,000 years.  ago. And all these changes without man's existence. So the climate will continue to change as it always has for billions of years and man can do nothing to stop it.

Deflection.

Why is the Earth warming now? And will this trend continue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Here's something about David Bellamy:

."A letter he published on 16 April 2005 in New Scientist asserted that a large proportion (555 of 625) of the glaciers being observed by the World Glacier Monitoring Service were advancing, not retreating.[24] George Monbiot of The Guardian tracked down Bellamy's original source for this information and found that it was from discredited data originally published by Fred Singer, who claimed to have obtained these figures from a 1989 article in the journal Science; however, Monbiot proved that this article had never existed.[25] Bellamy subsequently accepted that his figures on glaciers were wrong, and announced in a letter to The Sunday Times in 2005 that he had "decided to draw back from the debate on global warming",[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bellamy

As for Piers Corbyn

Piers Richard Corbyn (born 10 March 1947)[1] is a British weather forecaster, businessman, climate change denier, anti-vaccine activist, and conspiracy theorist.[n 1]..

He has claimed that the media, Met Office and "corrupt scientists" are brainwashing the public as part of a Qatar-run conspiracy to keep oil prices high.[43]...

In a 2012 article in Wired titled "The Fraudulent Business of Earthquake and Eruption Prediction",[30] Erik Klemetti, an assistant professor of Geosciences at Ohio's Denison University accused Corbyn of "cherry-picking" and said people who claimed to be able to forecast earthquakes were "faith healers of the geologic community and should be seen as such."...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Corbyn

You had your chance to put your so-called monetary expertise to the test and you failed utterly.

As for monetary digitalization, was there anybody serious out there denying it was going to play an increasing economic role? And not just in the West.  

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Right.  It's not like hospitals were overwhelmed, morgues overflowing, healthcare workers (the ones who stayed healthy) worked to exhaustion and death rates skyrocketed....

Oh wait, they did.

Nonsense!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

All you are saying is that you listen to the wrong sources about science.

Can't you read proper D23.

I said the go-to place for news was the trusted BBC. They were consistently informing us that an 'ice-age' was coming. And they were also telling us that the science was settled. It's a matter of record. All in the archives.

As I stated - but you have conveniently forgotten to mention - we went out buying fur coats, and those Russian style hats. Until the anti-fur people started. Then came 1976. Remember that year? I can. Killed the 'ice-age' narrative stone dead.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

542 million to 485.4 million years ago

There were no humans to worry about then, what's your point?

I suspect the point was that we have millions of years before that happens again.   I also suspect that considering the technological progress we have made in the last 50 years, and on the basis that progress does not cease for the next several hundred thousand years, science may well have a solution to deal with this that was not available 485 million years ago.   Not something to lose any sleep over today, that is for sure.   Cleaner air is a good thing and it looks like we are heading that way regardless, but let's not pretend that humans can control climate change just yet, no more than we can control a virus.   

I remain befuddled why so many people are convinced by the narrative that this is some kind of emergency considering the timescales at play here.   

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You had your chance to put your so-called monetary expertise to the test and you failed utterly.

As for monetary digitalization, was there anybody serious out there denying it was going to play an increasing economic role? And not just in the West.  

What are you on about? I was spot on. Don't be so dis-ingenuous PH.

Can you tell me anyone that predicted digitalization before I did? No! I thought not. You read it first on AN (Thai Visa; as it was then).

• Like 1