Climate change: July set to be world's warmest month on record

Social Media

image.png

Amid blistering heatwaves, July is "virtually certain" to be the world's warmest month on record, say scientists.

So hot has the month been to date that researchers are confident the 2019 record will be broken, even with several days to go.

UN chief Antonio Guterres said the planet is entering an "era of global boiling".

Scientists agree the extra heat is mainly linked to fossil fuel use.

US President Joe Biden described climate change as an "existential threat" and that no one "can deny the impact of climate change anymore".

Some experts believe that July might well be the warmest month in the past 120,000 years.

• Haha 1

Planetary wide temperature averages have basically run between 14ºC and 16ºC through the Interglacial peaks of the last 800,000 years of Ice Ages. They also look to have remained below 18ºC for the last 5.3 million years. Those broad scale planetary average can be viewed in this first graph, taken from the latest paper by James Hansen (and 16 other climate scientists.) See:

PipelinePaper.2023.07.05.pdf

This should add concerns to the way Earth neared 17ºC in the La Nina to neutral year of 2022, and have now spent nearly all of July 2023 ABOVE 17ºC. We are rapidly leaving the Holocene conditions that life on Earth has currently evolved to be supported by.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/

CenozoicTemperatures.jpg.71480d25d24e618e50cbe4fb115ef2a1.jpg

July2023.jpg.1393a1673a6b69c6815f3aecb2e5b805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

What is it about you denialists of the existence human-caused warming that seems to make you incapable of understanding that the issue isn't change per se, but rather the accelerated rate of change.?

I can only speak for myself, but there are so many parameters that need to change if anyone REALLY wants to slow down the changes. The main factor is a population of 8 billion people and rising. The next factor is the consumption strategy of capitalism - buy as much as you can (and take loans if you can't afford it) so the economy can grow. Another stupid scheme was the selling of carbon rights which made some people very rich and contributed nothing to the reduction of co2.

So all these articles and facts have no real effect on the situation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm pretty sure I've read on other sources 120 years, not 120k years. Who has any records from 120k years ago?

Those who have the ice cores.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Those who have the ice cores.

15 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm pretty sure I've read on other sources 120 years, not 120k years. Who has any records from 120k years ago?

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/publication/ice-cores-and-climate-change/

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

22 hours ago, placeholder said:

What is it about you denialists of the existence human-caused warming that seems to make you incapable of understanding that the issue isn't change per se, but rather the accelerated rate of change.?

What is it about you that you don't understand that there's no proof as yet that the global warming is accelerated by the course of  man.

Some say it is others say it's not .

You can believe what you like just don't say that people are incapable of understanding some things. 

I can say same but you wouldn't  like it Do You?

Have a nice day and be Quiet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sharp said:

The fact they relocated many monitors to ground level from the previous 2 meter minimum height tells u everything about this BS!!

And not to at airports surrounded by asphalt and concrete ????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What is it about you that you don't understand that there's no proof as yet that the global warming is accelerated by the course of  man.

Some say it is others say it's not .

You can believe what you like just don't say that people are incapable of understanding some things. 

I can say same but you wouldn't  like it Do You?

Have a nice day and be Quiet.

Who says it isn't being accelerated by "man" and what are their qualifications?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

What evidence or sources do you have that show the temperature measurements are not correct?

What evidence source do you have that shows temperature measurements are not affected by asphalt and concrete? Good grief, get off it already ????

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, novacova said:

What evidence source do you have that shows temperature measurements are not affected by asphalt and concrete? Good grief, get off it already ????

You were the one that brought asphalt and concrete, where did you get that info from that they are included when taking Global temperatures?

Where do global temperature data come from?

Modern observations mostly come from weather stations, weather balloons, radars, ships and buoys, and satellites. 

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/35/where-do-global-temperature-data-come-from/

Explainer: How do scientists measure global temperature?

To get a complete picture of Earth’s temperature, scientists combine measurements from the air above land and the ocean surface collected by ships, buoys and sometimes satellites, too.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-how-do-scientists-measure-global-temperature/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1