Climate change: July set to be world's warmest month on record

Social Media

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't recall ever using the word "mitigation"- you are making that up.

In future, please try to reply based on what I actually say. It'll save me from having to keep correcting you.

Sorry for confusing you.

"I'm more interested in what you are doing about it." was your comment.

The term "mitigation" means "doing something about it".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW did you know that the biggest amount of greenhouse gas is water vapour? However they can't tax that so CO2 has to suffice for the IMO biggest con of my lifetime.

https://climate.nasa.gov/explore/ask-nasa-climate/3143/steamy-relationships-how-atmospheric-water-vapor-amplifies-earths-greenhouse-effect/#:~:text=Water vapor is Earth's most,atmosphere trap the Sun's heat.

Your internet friends are sending you misleading information.

Increased water vapor is a consequence of warming, which, in turn, is caused by increased CO2.

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

https://climate.nasa.gov/explore/ask-nasa-climate/3143/steamy-relationships-how-atmospheric-water-vapor-amplifies-earths-greenhouse-effect/#:~:text=Water vapor is Earth's most,atmosphere trap the Sun's heat.

Your internet friends are sending you misleading information.

Increased water vapor is a consequence of warming, which, in turn, is caused by increased CO2.

I think has been estimated that water vapor in the atmosphere was increased by as much as 10% as a result of recent volcanic activity. 

2022 Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai eruption and tsunami - Wikipedia

Volcanic eruptions are often discussed in relation to climate change because they release CO2 (and other gases) into our atmosphere. However, human contributions to the carbon cycle are more than 100 times those from all the volcanoes in the world - combined.

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/340/graphic-volcanoes-and-climate-change/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Volcanic eruptions are often discussed in relation to climate change because they release CO2 (and other gases) into our atmosphere. However, human contributions to the carbon cycle are more than 100 times those from all the volcanoes in the world - combined.

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/340/graphic-volcanoes-and-climate-change/

I was commenting on water vapor from volcanic activity, not CO2, sorry if I was not clear. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was commenting on water vapor from volcanic activity, not CO2, sorry if I was not clear. 

No problem, I was commenting on human contributions to the carbon cycle which are 100 times those from volcanic eruption. Ninety-nine percent of the gas molecules emitted during a volcanic eruption are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sulfur dioxide (SO2). The remaining one percent is comprised of small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, and other minor gas species.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No problem, I was commenting on human contributions to the carbon cycle which are 100 times those from volcanic eruption. Ninety-nine percent of the gas molecules emitted during a volcanic eruption are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sulfur dioxide (SO2). The remaining one percent is comprised of small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, and other minor gas species.

I think you are referring to gasses emitted directly from the volcano. I think eruptions underwater generate a lot more water vapor than those on land. 

It's convenient that they have such a nice round number like "100-times" they can use for maximum effect. 

We generate more CO2 each year, does volcanic activity keep up or will it be like 110 times as much next year? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think has been estimated that water vapor in the atmosphere was increased by as much as 10% as a result of recent volcanic activity. 

2022 Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai eruption and tsunami - Wikipedia

Water vapor released by a one time event has a relatively short lifetime in the atmosphere.

But CO2 continually traps water vapor in the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you are referring to gasses emitted directly from the volcano. I think eruptions underwater generate a lot more water vapor than those on land. 

It's convenient that they have such a nice round number like "100-times" they can use for maximum effect. 

We generate more CO2 each year, does volcanic activity keep up or will it be like 110 times as much next year? 

Volcanic eruptions are one time events, and their gases disappate over time.

Human produced CO2 is ongoing.

Not the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Water vapor released by a one time event has a relatively short lifetime in the atmosphere.

But CO2 continually traps water vapor in the atmosphere.

How can both of your statements be true?

If the CO2 is trapping it, how is how is it water vapor released by a one-time event has a relatively short lifetime in the atmosphere? In any event, what eruptions may be a "one time event", there are many that erupt for years. Over forty are erupting now. 

Global Volcanism Program | Current Eruptions (si.edu)

And why is the stratosphere cooling, at the same time the stratocaster is hotter than ever? 

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How can both of your statements be true?

If the CO2 is trapping it, how is how is it water vapor released by a one-time event has a relatively short lifetime in the atmosphere? In any event, what eruptions may be a "one time event", there are many that erupt for years. Over forty are erupting now. 

Global Volcanism Program | Current Eruptions (si.edu)

And why is the stratosphere cooling, at the same time the stratocaster is hotter than ever? 

I guess you don't understand the water cycle.

I am not going to waste my time describing it to you. Anyone who passed Science knows what I sm talking about.

Even if I explained it to you, you would just change to another subject to troll about. This reminds me of Trump losing 60 court cases, he never learned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You can't explain it because 1. Carbon dioxide does not "trap water vapor in the atmosphere", 2. Because do not understand the water cycle, and 3. All you ever do is regurgitate talking points and call people names. 

You made make unsupported claims you can never explain and call me a troll. Typical. 

You can troll all you want, but you can't change reality:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2016/06/20/water-vapor-vs-carbon-dioxide-which-wins-in-climate-warming/?sh=6c04bf6e3238

…water vapor is the largest contributor to the Earth’s greenhouse effect…However, water vapor does not control the Earth’s temperature, but is instead controlled by the temperature…If there had been no increase in the amounts of non-condensable greenhouse gases (like carbon dioxide), the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would not have changed with all other variables remaining the same. The addition of the non-condensable gases causes the temperature to increase and this leads to an increase in water vapor that further increases the temperature. This is an example of a positive feedback effect.

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You can troll all you want, but you can't change reality:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2016/06/20/water-vapor-vs-carbon-dioxide-which-wins-in-climate-warming/?sh=6c04bf6e3238

…water vapor is the largest contributor to the Earth’s greenhouse effect…However, water vapor does not control the Earth’s temperature, but is instead controlled by the temperature…If there had been no increase in the amounts of non-condensable greenhouse gases (like carbon dioxide), the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would not have changed with all other variables remaining the same. The addition of the non-condensable gases causes the temperature to increase and this leads to an increase in water vapor that further increases the temperature. This is an example of a positive feedback effect.

As always, more regurgitation from you without any understanding.

You claimed: "But CO2 continually traps water vapor in the atmosphere."

You call me a troll, yet your post does not in any way support your foolish (at best) claim, and it in fact proves your claim is false. Why do you continually regurgitate things you do not understand?

You are nothing if not amusing.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You call me a troll, yet your post does not in any way support your foolish (at best) claim, and it in fact proves your claim is false. Why do you continually regurgitate things you do not understand?

So, why is the Stratosphere cooling?

2 weeks and you still can't answer.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Excess CO2 is constantly causing additional water vapor, volcanos are a one-off.

Since additional water vapor causes more warming, CO2 buildup is effective in warming the planet.

• Haha 1

The Climate Change Fraud - Bill Gates is funding a scheme to cut down 70 million acres of forests in North America
https://www.2ndsmartestguyintheworld.com/p/bill-gates-is-funding-a-scheme-to?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Well-written article about the climate change fraud, addressing among others the Totally Bonkers latest Gates project to chop down 70 million acres of forest and not use the timber for something useful but BURY the dead trees. The real reason for the destruction of forests is to reap saleable carbon offsets.
The article also features this nice gem extracted from National Geographic’s encyclopaedia intended for children aged 10 to 13.

The Carbon Cycle

Carbon is in a constant state of movement from place to place. It is stored in what are known as reservoirs, and it moves between these reservoirs through a variety of processes, including photosynthesis, burning fossil fuels, and simply releasing breath from the lungs. The movement of carbon from reservoir to reservoir is known as the carbon cycle.

Carbon can be stored in a variety of reservoirs, including plants and animals, which is why they are considered carbon life forms. Carbon is used by plants to build leaves and stems, which are then digested by animals and used for cellular growth.

In the atmosphere, carbon is stored in the form of gases, such as carbon dioxide. It is also stored in oceans, captured by many types of marine organisms. Some organisms, such as clams or coral, use the carbon to form shells and skeletons.

Most of the carbon on the planet is contained within rocks, minerals, and other sediment buried beneath the surface of the planet.

Because Earth is a closed system, the amount of carbon on the planet never changes.

The carbon cycle is vital to life on Earth. Nature tends to keep carbon levels balanced, meaning that the amount of carbon naturally released from reservoirs is equal to the amount that is naturally absorbed by reservoirs. Maintaining this carbon balance allows the planet to remain hospitable for life.

Read more: The Carbon Cycle for Grades 5-8, Encyclopaedic Entry, National Geographic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, why is the Stratosphere cooling?

2 weeks and you still can't answer.

Wot yer keep on about this Stratosphere for Danderman?

Most of us couldn't give a <deleted> if it was there or not. Let alone cooling. Who cares; other than you? I'm more interested in the rain.

Edited by owl sees all
Put in a '?'
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Wot yer keep on about this Stratosphere for Danderman?

Most of us couldn't give a <deleted> if it was there or not. Let alone cooling. Who cares; other than you? I'm more interested in the rain.

Because you cannot explain why the Stratosphere is cooling.

I will tell you why.

Big oil companies spend big money to misinform about Global Warming. They give money to trolls who spew misinformation via talking points to low information types, who then regurgitate the talking points in places like this. These low information types may not understand what they are posting, or that it is false.

There is a second type of misinformation poster: trolls who sow doubt about Science. They also get material from the Denier Troll Factory, but sometimes in the form of leading questions.

To this date, the Troll Factory has nothing on why the Stratosphere is cooling, so inability to answer this simple question is the hallmark of someone who relies on the Troll Factory.

Like you.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Right then Danderman. You have got me interested.

''''They give money to trolls who spew misinformation via talking points to low information types, who then regurgitate the talking points in places like this.''''

And who would I contact to start being a troll, and raking in the dosh?

Sorry, you are not informed sufficiently on the subject to be any more than the recipient of talking points. At the very least, you are receiving them here. You know, the same old tired canards:

" I believe the climate is changing, because its always changing, due to natural forces".

If you ask them exactly what natural forces are changing the climate, they have to change the subject, because they don't have talking points about that.

"The Sun is causing warming".

Despite decreased solar activity.

So, if you aren't getting talking points, why is the Stratosphere cooling? And why is it so hard for you to deal with this question?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't give a poop about the ozone layer, or atmospheric CO2, or rising sea levels, or ice cap reductions either.

How about warming?

I was watching a Dallas TV station yesterday, and I was struck by how many records for temperature are being exceeded this week.

Edited by Danderman123

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

How about warming?

I was watching a Dallas TV station yesterday, and I was struck by how many records for temperature are being exceeded this week.

I'm using less air con this year in CM than any of the previous 10 years.

If it's any hotter, I'm certainly not feeling it.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm using less air con this year in CM than any of the previous 10 years.

If it's any hotter, I'm certainly not feeling it.

Some people claim that Global Warming isn't real because winter.

Meanwhile, in the Real World:

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3279/nasa-clocks-july-2023-as-hottest-month-on-record-ever-since-1880/

Think of your situation like a frog in a pot on a stove. The frog doesn't realize the pot is warming until it's too late. Don't be the frog.

revised_bar-plot_anim_4k-210_dragged.png

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2017/7/13/the-drowning-villages-of-indonesia

Rising sea levels have forced people to leave their homes in four villages located in Bekasi, on the Indonesian island of West Java. Those who have remained face difficult living conditions.

Pantai Bahagia village, located about one kilometre from the sealine is the most affected by the rising sea. Nearly 80 percent of the population here have felt the effect of the encroaching sea waters. The water level rises ever higher with each passing year. Every high tide brings the sea into their homes. 

• Haha 2