Climate change: July set to be world's warmest month on record

Social Media

35 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2017/7/13/the-drowning-villages-of-indonesia

Rising sea levels have forced people to leave their homes in four villages located in Bekasi, on the Indonesian island of West Java. Those who have remained face difficult living conditions.

Pantai Bahagia village, located about one kilometre from the sealine is the most affected by the rising sea. Nearly 80 percent of the population here have felt the effect of the encroaching sea waters. The water level rises ever higher with each passing year. Every high tide brings the sea into their homes. 

More interested in Shoreham by sea ....... where my former beach side home still is above water.

Odd how these places nobody has ever heard of are suffering from sea level rises, but no civilised place is.

Guess the sea level doesn't rise the same amount everywhere.

Eureka!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More interested in Shoreham by sea ....... where my former beach side home still is above water.

Odd how these places nobody has ever heard of are suffering from sea level rises, but no civilised place is.

Eureka!

Sea levels are different in different places.

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/focus/20230608-miami-coastlines-lose-ground-to-rising-sea-levels-due-to-climate-change

Ever heard of Miami?

https://www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/news/pr23-076.html

Ever heard of Shoreham?

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Currently summer in Thailand.

And not any hotter.

https://www.thedailystar.net/environment/climate-crisis/news/once-200-years-heat-wave-caught-southeast-asia-guard-3340916

The problem is that Real Life does not agree with you.

Fortunately, your house is cool, so you don't believe the scidntists.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, Danderman123 said:

Sorry for confusing you.

"I'm more interested in what you are doing about it." was your comment.

The term "mitigation" means "doing something about it".

Your reply was "Okay, mitigation is a big deal these days, solar power, wind power, shutting down coal plants, I understand that people are buying cars that don't burn gasoline."

I don't see anything there as to what YOU are doing about it, unless YOU are shutting down coal plants or building windmills. If YOU are not doing anything, just say so.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Eureka!

Where I live there hasn't been any noticeable sea level rise in my lifetime, yet islands I never heard of are suffering "sea level rise". I wonder if it's that they are sinking, and not sea rising at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I think the moon.

When the moon is in a certain spot the sea rises quite a lot. In Liverpool docks the rise can be 6//7 metres. I think the record is Newlyn in Cornwall. Water went up over 7 metres one day there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Your reply was "Okay, mitigation is a big deal these days, solar power, wind power, shutting down coal plants, I understand that people are buying cars that don't burn gasoline."

I don't see anything there as to what YOU are doing about it, unless YOU are shutting down coal plants or building windmills. If YOU are not doing anything, just say so.

I am installing a kilowatt of solar on my balcony.

Thank you for your interest.

Where I live there hasn't been any noticeable sea level rise in my lifetime, yet islands I never heard of are suffering "sea level rise". I wonder if it's that they are sinking, and not sea rising at all.

Yeah, you really don't understand any of this, do you?

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I think the moon.

When the moon is in a certain spot the sea rises quite a lot. In Liverpool docks the rise can be 6//7 metres. I think the record is Newlyn in Cornwall. Water went up over 7 metres one day there.

Indeed there are places with significant tidal extremes.

Global warming will increase this in the near future.

• Like 1

So much for the sheeple accusing climate change alarmists of paying for sahdy research. They are swallowing the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Texas fracking billionaires Farris and Dan Wilks have donated millions of dollars to conservative operations that are skeptical about climate change and promote anti-LGBTQ ideology,

https://www.rawstory.com/dan-wilks/

• Thanks 2

The Washington Post has a very long, detailed report forecasting the damage to human health and increased deaths that are likely to occur around the world in coming years due to climate change.

The report also specifically talks about the various geographic areas projected to reach a critical heat-humidity threshold just under 90 degrees, and for how long, as the so-called wet bulb globe temperature, beyond which the risks of heat illness become very severe.

I'm limited by forum rules as to how much of the article I can quote, so below is just a brief excerpt:

The Human Limit

An exploration of the insidious threat that climate change poses to human health, from malaria to extreme heat.

"The Post analysis showed that by 2030, 500 million people around the world, particularly in places such as South Asia and the Middle East, would be exposed to such extreme heat for at least a month — even if they can get out of the sun. The largest population — 270 million — was in India, followed by nearly 190 million in Pakistan, 34 million across the Arabian Peninsula and more than 1 million apiece in Mexico and Sudan.

“We can say now that people are dying from climate change, and that’s a different kind of statement than we would have made before,” said Kristie L. Ebi, a professor in the Center for Health and the Global Environment at the University of Washington who co-authored the 2022 Lancet Countdown report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2023/pakistan-extreme-heat-health-impacts-death/

Screenshot_18.jpg.30ce428ef0837492903bc7bc3bdeb946.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg.54942b4c96b14d57f8a54b2d447db6da.jpg

The report also has a search box that allows you to search by any given city for what the report's future heat projections show, with some of the examples listed below:

Screenshot_20.jpg.3a7b2bfd7e64796cf3f1ea2c8f40a104.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg.710db68b7800e6386c52f06a90311930.jpg

Screenshot_24.jpg.47f2f694f66ccdc38b0dee836e6ea3e3.jpg

Screenshot_22.jpg.2a67ed5ee5ed8ca2c26b593187421de8.jpg

Screenshot_23.jpg.0fc7a812d39034ab367a62a702ca3f92.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

So, just another climate change that has resulted in many deaths that has occurred throughout man's history on this planet. Drought, flood and pestilence have been not uncommon as long as man has been around. The difference now, as I see it is that some of us think that we can change nature by some means, to make nature kinder, but is that a realistic theory, given it has never been done before?

However, what is certainly true is that some are getting rich off the idea that mere humans can change nature. Carbon credits? LOL.

Personal insults don't convince me that you do.

Okay, I was a bit frustrated that your answer conveyed a lack of understanding  of science.

You questioned whether islands now being swamped are sinking,or covered by rising seas. Implicit in your comment is that you don't believe or understand that scientists can measure sea levels very accurately. 

I can address either, in detail.

Do you deny that sea level rise is carefully measured?

So, just another climate change that has resulted in many deaths that has occurred throughout man's history on this planet. Drought, flood and pestilence have been not uncommon as long as man has been around. The difference now, as I see it is that some of us think that we can change nature by some means, to make nature kinder, but is that a realistic theory, given it has never been done before?

However, what is certainly true is that some are getting rich off the idea that mere humans can change nature. Carbon credits? LOL.

You are looking through the telescope the wrong way.

Oil companies are making billions while polluting the atmosphere. 

Graduate students researching climate change make little or no money.

The CEO of Exxon made $35 million in salary last year.

A top professor might make $90K from their university, but little of the work is research.

So, the side that sows doubt about climate change makes the big bucks.

. The difference now, as I see it is that some of us think that we can change nature by some means, to make nature kinder, but is that a realistic theory, given it has never been done before?

Nope.

You have it backwards.

Humans are changing nature by polluting the atmosphere - making nature nastier.

Some people in the climate movement simply want to stop polluting.

Is there some part of this you don't understand?

• Like 1

So, just another climate change that has resulted in many deaths that has occurred throughout man's history on this planet. Drought, flood and pestilence have been not uncommon as long as man has been around. 

Nope.

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is higher than at any point in the existence of Homo Sapiens. So, we are going to see more severe climate that we have ever experienced.

I am sure you have at least once complained that politicians only worry about the short term, and ignore the long term. You are doing the same. You cannot grasp the long term consequences of the warming, so as long as you are not flooded right now, you don't worry about the warming.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Washington Post has a very long, detailed report forecasting the damage to human health and increased deaths that are likely to occur around the world in coming years due to climate change.

The report also specifically talks about the various geographic areas projected to reach a critical heat-humidity threshold just under 90 degrees, and for how long, as the so-called wet bulb globe temperature, beyond which the risks of heat illness become very severe.

I'm limited by forum rules as to how much of the article I can quote, so below is just a brief excerpt:

The Human Limit

An exploration of the insidious threat that climate change poses to human health, from malaria to extreme heat.

"The Post analysis showed that by 2030, 500 million people around the world, particularly in places such as South Asia and the Middle East, would be exposed to such extreme heat for at least a month — even if they can get out of the sun. The largest population — 270 million — was in India, followed by nearly 190 million in Pakistan, 34 million across the Arabian Peninsula and more than 1 million apiece in Mexico and Sudan.

“We can say now that people are dying from climate change, and that’s a different kind of statement than we would have made before,” said Kristie L. Ebi, a professor in the Center for Health and the Global Environment at the University of Washington who co-authored the 2022 Lancet Countdown report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2023/pakistan-extreme-heat-health-impacts-death/

Screenshot_18.jpg.30ce428ef0837492903bc7bc3bdeb946.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg.54942b4c96b14d57f8a54b2d447db6da.jpg

The report also has a search box that allows you to search by any given city for what the report's future heat projections show, with some of the examples listed below:

Screenshot_20.jpg.3a7b2bfd7e64796cf3f1ea2c8f40a104.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg.710db68b7800e6386c52f06a90311930.jpg

Screenshot_24.jpg.47f2f694f66ccdc38b0dee836e6ea3e3.jpg

Screenshot_22.jpg.2a67ed5ee5ed8ca2c26b593187421de8.jpg

Screenshot_23.jpg.0fc7a812d39034ab367a62a702ca3f92.jpg

Do not significantly more people die each year from cold weather than hot? 

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are looking through the telescope the wrong way.

Oil companies are making billions while polluting the atmosphere. 

Graduate students researching climate change make little or no money.

The CEO of Exxon made $35 million in salary last year.

A top professor might make $90K from their university, but little of the work is research.

So, the side that sows doubt about climate change makes the big bucks.

You seem to know less about university compensation than you do about climate change. 

Oil companies pollute very little, it's the people that by their products and burn them that cause all the CO2. 

All the extremists should just quit using the products that rely on fossil fuels and our CO2 output would be cut in half. Oh wait, we can't do that because it would negatively impact their lifestyle, the only want the lives of others impacted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You seem to know less about university compensation than you do about climate change. 

Oil companies pollute very little, it's the people that by their products and burn them that cause all the CO2. 

All the extremists should just quit using the products that rely on fossil fuels and our CO2 output would be cut in half. Oh wait, we can't do that because it would negatively impact their lifestyle, the only want the lives of others impacted. 

So, oil companies are responsible for pollution, kind of like drug dealers are responsible for drug use. It's not an exact analogy, so don't get worked up over it.

As for university compensation, do you really believe that grad students are overpaid?

Meanwhile, the CEO of Exxon makes $35 million and his company makes a fortune from pollution.

But you guys complain that grad students are profiting off climate change.

Edited by Danderman123

On 9/4/2023 at 11:28 PM, BritManToo said:

Eureka!

You seem to be laboring under the belief that because sea levels are on average rising in relation to the land, that everything by the beach should already be inundated. Got any predictions from climatologists studying the rise in sea levels who say that? I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a fact-based response from you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So to your way of thinking oil companies pollute very little? How about oil and gas companies?

Nearly half of oil and gas emissions could be cut without spending a penny

"The fossil fuel industry is one of the biggest sources of human-generated methane emissions, emitting 70 metric tons of the polluting gas last year — roughly equivalent to all the carbon dioxide produced by the European Union"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-methane-natural-gas-oil-emissions/

What are the environmental impacts of gas flaring?
Thousands of gas flares at oil production sites worldwide burned approximately 139 billion cubic meters of gas in 2022. Assuming a ‘typical’ associated gas composition, a flare combustion efficiency of 98% and a Global Warming Potential for methane of 28, each cubic meter of associated gas flared results in about 2.6 kilograms of CO2 equivalent emissions (CO2e), resulting in over 350 million  tonnes of CO2e emissions annually, of which around 42 million tonnes is emitted in the form of unburnt methane. 

The methane emissions resulting from the inefficiency of the flare combustion contribute significantly to global warming.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/gasflaringreduction/gas-flaring-explained

And this is just one part of the environmental damage that these 2 sectors of the fossil fuel industry directly inflict.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

So to your way of thinking oil companies pollute very little? How about oil and gas companies?

Nearly half of oil and gas emissions could be cut without spending a penny

"The fossil fuel industry is one of the biggest sources of human-generated methane emissions, emitting 70 metric tons of the polluting gas last year — roughly equivalent to all the carbon dioxide produced by the European Union"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-methane-natural-gas-oil-emissions/

What are the environmental impacts of gas flaring?
Thousands of gas flares at oil production sites worldwide burned approximately 139 billion cubic meters of gas in 2022. Assuming a ‘typical’ associated gas composition, a flare combustion efficiency of 98% and a Global Warming Potential for methane of 28, each cubic meter of associated gas flared results in about 2.6 kilograms of CO2 equivalent emissions (CO2e), resulting in over 350 million  tonnes of CO2e emissions annually, of which around 42 million tonnes is emitted in the form of unburnt methane. 

The methane emissions resulting from the inefficiency of the flare combustion contribute significantly to global warming.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/gasflaringreduction/gas-flaring-explained

And this is just one part of the environmental damage that these 2 sectors of the fossil fuel industry directly inflict.

Quit buying it. 

The articles a hoot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, oil companies are responsible for pollution, kind of like drug dealers are responsible for drug use. It's not an exact analogy, so don't get worked up over it.

As for university compensation, do you really believe that grad students are overpaid?

Meanwhile, the CEO of Exxon makes $35 million and his company makes a fortune from pollution.

But you guys complain that grad students are profiting off climate change.

And gun manufacturers are responsible for gun deaths. 

People learn to develop drugs, find oil and make guns in school, why is it not the school's fault?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Quit buying it. 

The articles a hoot. 

Making it personal rather than defending the factuality of  allegations is a sure sign that a comment in this venue is empty. Your comment is empty. You've got nothing.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

People learn to develop drugs, find oil and make guns in school, why is it not the school's fault?

What don't you understand about the fact that the position of gun manufacturers is not analogous to the position of  the fossil fuel industry. Manufacturing firearms is not especially harmful. But the extraction and refining of oil and gas is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Trolling again.

Oil company produce pollutants, and pay trolls to confuse people about the impact of their produce.

Your flawed logic leads you down a path where anyone who teaches a child how to speak English is liable if that child grows up to be a killer.