Thai tourism seeks visa fee waiver to attract Chinese and Indian visitors

webfact

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Something like that deters me actually. I don't fancy going back to Bali because the VOA requirement is back. Not really about the money though, more to do with having to queue in slow moving inefficient long lines!

Evisa is available for Bali. I arrived last month and paid on arrival. No queue. Having said that the queue for immigration was horrible and extending the visa took two weeks and requires three trips to immigration if an agent is not used

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Something like that deters me actually. I don't fancy going back to Bali because the VOA requirement is back. Not really about the money though, more to do with having to queue in slow moving inefficient long lines!

and their self registering computer system at the airport is a nightmare

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I think the photo in the OP gives a huge clue as to why tourism has slowed. 

Compare that scene to Koh San Road now with the traffic bollards and the ban on traders etc. The joy has been sucked out of the place, as it has with many other tourist areas with the early closing of night life, bans on various things like vaping, alcohol free days etc.

By trying to sanitize Thailand they have removed much of what made it such a great place for a holiday. Why would I travel 12 hours to sit on a dirty beach where I am not allowed to vape, cannot get a beer from 711 at 3pm etc. when I can hop over to the Greek islands and do all those things on cleaner beaches, much quicker and much cheaper?

Sure they can rely on the Chinese, until the next Phuket boat disaster goes viral or the CCP decide they want people to holiday domestically and the backside drops out of the market overnight.

I would still imagine being In thailand is a lot cheaper than at the Greek Islands. I have not been there. Some relatives went to Italy and found it to be quite pricey as well. Some need you to pay some Euros just to sit in their restaurants. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The request follows a lukewarm recovery in numerous essential markets and is viewed as vital for enhancing arrivals this year.

Like-warm.. when it suits, and booming when it suits..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A plea for the revival of a visa fee waiver programme has been issued by Thailand‘s tourism industry, seeking an influx of visitors from populous nations like China and India. The request follows a lukewarm recovery in numerous essential markets and is viewed as vital for enhancing arrivals this year.

President of the Thai Hotels Association, Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi, placed emphasis on targeting countries with vast populations such as China and India. This is due to tourists primarily residing in destinations like Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket. The need to consider budget travellers and large tour groups became evident despite high-spending tourists bolstering Thailand’s tourism statistics.

“Whilst Thailand is currently receiving a greater number of high-spending tourists, it’s important to recognise the reliance many hotels have on budget travellers and big tour groups,” stated Marisa.

India, having recently exceeded China as the world’s most densely populated nation, provides a compelling opportunity for Thailand. With the growth in its workforce, enticing more Indian tourists and inspiring them to explore beyond major city destinations is a strong possibility, reported Bangkok Post.

According to Marisa, a variety of sectors could prove beneficial to hotel businesses of all sizes, given how Indian travellers visit for diverse reasons. From adventure-seeking tourists to wedding groups to those in pursuit of health and wellness services, the Indian tourist demographic is remarkably varied.

by Alex Morgan

Picture courtesy of Evan Krause, Unsplash

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-tourism-seeks-visa-fee-waiver-to-attract-chinese-and-indian-visitors

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Isn't THAT Classed as DISCRIMINATION ??

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

i doubt it's the visa costs that are deterring the Chinese. Rather the economic situation there. The recent bad press about Thailand on social media probably deters some as well.

Agree with yr second sentence.  But it's unlikely that, given the conditions of life under Chinese communism, Chinese tourists would be much deterred by the  problems of "democracy" in another country.

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Evisa is available for Bali. I arrived last month and paid on arrival. No queue. Having said that the queue for immigration was horrible and extending the visa took two weeks and requires three trips to immigration if an agent is not used

How many days does the initial VOA get you on arrival?

32 minutes ago, blazes said:

Agree with yr second sentence.  But it's unlikely that, given the conditions of life under Chinese communism, Chinese tourists would be much deterred by the  problems of "democracy" in another country.

I wasn't talking about the "election" problems.  More the taxi scams, the speedboat sinkings, and recent case where Chinese tourists said they were asked for a bribe to prevent being arrested for vaping. All reported back in China on social media.

45 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Don't forget double  pricing on Medical care, even if you have medical insurance.

And the ripp-offs just after arriving, e.g. taxis not using meters... (Well, maybe that's why many Chinese tourists are bussed around so that they aren't scammed right after arrival.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much