Rugby World Cup

irishrebel

I don't expect they'll win, but I always root for the non-mainstream teams such as Romania and Portugal. And especially Georgia, who used to have the 'Gorgodzilla' and another huge bloke who looked only about 2/3rds human.

Looking forward to this tournament.

Intriguing tournament ahead with a number of teams who can win it. Favourites have got to be France but Ireland and New Zealand also look good. I'd never write off South Africa despite their last two results. Australia and England are on the easy side of the draw so they are in with a shot but I am not sure either has a sufficiently strong team this year to win it.

I'd love to see France vs New Zealand final which has the potential to be a classic match. Funnily enough, these two teams meet in the opening match. Can't wait!

• Like 1

Judging by last weekends trouncing of AUS by NZ (7-38), then I think New Zealand. France have a good chance, home soil and all that, but depends if the players are having a strop or not.

Looking at the fixture list, then France and NZ should win pool A, SA and Ireland for pool B, Wales and AUS for pool C and I predict England and Japan in pool D. Should make for a good tournament. 

With a 5 hour time difference,  then the evening games are on at 02:00 in the morning. 

Not sure if bars can get a special license to extend the current 2:00 AM closing time like they can in the UK.

As an aside, anyone know a good local seller in Pats or BKK for rugby tops, as left my 2003 winning O2 shirt in the UK?

RWC-2023_Match-Schedule_ENG.pdf

On 8/2/2023 at 2:09 AM, irishrebel said:

with allot of games on at 8pm UK time, 2am BKK will there be many places in the city that will show the games i wonder

I will be watching them at home here at a time convenient to me!! I have signed up for STAN Sport (OZ) so can watch a replay when I get up in the morning.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks. 

Do Scotland have any chance of winning this time ? 

The Scotland team is VERY unlikely to make it out of the pool stage, let alone win it. Scotland is in a pool with two of the powerhouses of world rugby, South Africa and Ireland - and only two teams make it through to the quarter-finals from each pool. But then you never know, perhaps Scotland will do ok. Scotland did beat France in a friendly match this past weekend, although it was largely a second-string French team.

1 minute ago, mstevens said:

The Scotland team is VERY unlikely to make it out of the pool stage, let alone win it. Scotland is in a pool with two of the powerhouses of world rugby, South Africa and Ireland - and only two teams make it through to the quarter-finals from each pool. But then you never know, perhaps Scotland will do ok. Scotland did beat France in a friendly match this past weekend, although it was largely a second-string French team.

Yes, I saw the result against France. Oh well, would be a nice surprise if they qualify, after all Japan beat South Africa in SA! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the record loss against the Springboks, I think the All Blacks chances of winning the Rugby World Cup are close to zero (and I say that as a New Zealander). In all likelihood, New Zealand will meet South Africa or Ireland in the quarter final and I just cannot see them overcoming either. Those two sides have a suffocating style that the All Blacks just don't know how to overcome. It is looking increasingly like the confidence in New Zealand after the first 4 matches of this year was largely misplaced. We beat Argentina (who aren't great) and Australia twice (who also aren't great and in fairness, we were lucky to win the second match). We did beat South Africa well last month but that was at home. Away from home, we saw what happened in today's match. I really think there are only 3 teams who can win this world cup - Ireland, France and South Africa. I can't see any of the other usual heavyweights like NZ, Australia or England offering much resistance.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...