From BKK to KL by train - question

mixmediana

Hello guys, 

Planning to travel to Malaysia in the coming days, as I didn't experienced travel by train, thinking to go by train and return by flight or go by flight and return by train,

Anyone experienced this route before? please share your experience with it, cost? will ride the same train directly or will change in border? how many hours? the most important to get an air-condition/sleeping berth, from BKK or from KL, 

Looking forward to heard your comments, Thanks a lot

I travelled a number of times back in the 90's to Penang, JB, and also KL by train.  I've used both 2nd class sleeper and first class private rooms.  It was a great experience and I really liked it.  The Malaysian trains were nicer than the Thai trains.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:36 PM, mixmediana said:

Hello guys, 

Planning to travel to Malaysia in the coming days, as I didn't experienced travel by train, thinking to go by train and return by flight or go by flight and return by train,

Anyone experienced this route before? please share your experience with it, cost? will ride the same train directly or will change in border? how many hours? the most important to get an air-condition/sleeping berth, from BKK or from KL, 

Follow Richard Barrow who is as expert as you can get concerning Thai train travel.  If you are hoping for an * experience* you’ll be disappointed. Much better you take train trips inside Thailand which can be interesting.  It will also  be cheaper to buy a return ticket flight , than two one ways train /flight. 

• Like 1

I took an overnighter from Hat Yai to Bkk.  The only negative I experienced was a porter who would not allow me to enter the catering car.  He was quite confrontational and nasty "you buy from me!"  He later came up to me "you buy beer!" and I gave the him my best if looks could kill glare. 

I have been told by travelers that the crossing between the two countries can take a long time as they inspect the train and whatever else.

What I did enjoy was meeting just regular Thai people, no one with something to sell me or run a scam.  I realized one of the seams on my duffle bag was bursting, so I got out some sewing stuff.  The ladies in my car got a kick out of seeing a farang guy doing this, one of the girls translating for them, my guess is none of them ever faced a farang before.  That was the high point for me.

It took at least 5 hours to get from Hua Hin to Hualumpong, but that was before they opened the new terminus in Bang Sue.

Got money to burn?  https://www.seat61.com/eastern-and-oriental-express.htm

• Love It 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:06 AM, mixmediana said:

Hello guys, 

Not sure how much you will "experience" in a air-conditioned sleeper?

I first did Europe trains 35 years ago while back-packin'.

Always a sit up berth enjoying the local people.

Some trains (Yugoslavia/Greece) appeared to have square wheels.

Fabulous stuff.

Enjoy the ride & let us know how it pans out.????????

Just pre Covid the train did not cross the Malaysian border, I think Malaysia has upgraded their track to standard gauge and Thailand is still narrow gauge. We have to get the Thailand train to the border (book your tickets), go through emigration and immigration on the platform and wait for the Malaysian train buying the ticket in the station. They run quite frequently.

Seat61.com is a fabulous site and very up to date