Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

bob smith

I had much fun there. Food, cleanliness, medicare, safety/petty crime so so. You make friends with the girls. Politically a broken country. (Now run by the dictator's son and a Jewish lady, daughter of strong man DU30) Chinese own most. Americans idolized. Muslim self governing area in the south where no outsider dares enter. People open to foreigner. All know English.

Jeepneys are back killers compared to songtaews.

It takes more time to get into the rhythm than Pattaya which is international, if you go outside Panglao, Angeles, Boracay, Subic etc but well worth it.

National heros are a boxer and a pool player ...

Charming people.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have no experience of the Philippines.

I have never felt threatened or in danger in Thailand.

i guess it depends what circles one moves in.

Not necessarily. But you gotta get out of the comfort zone of tourist or farang dense area, and move around the country  by yourself, not in a group. If you have never felt threatened in LOS, you either haven't done that, or haven't been here long enough .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Not necessarily. But you gotta get out of the comfort zone of tourist or farang dense area, and move around the country  by yourself, not in a group. If you have never felt threatened in LOS, you either haven't done that, or haven't been here long enough .

I don't feel any need to get out of whatever zone I am in, I have been here for 12 years.

I am certainly not deranged enough to travel alone on Thai roads on a bicycle. That's asking for trouble.

Yes people here have only been to Manila & Angeles City and come back with a negative opinion about the Philippines!!!

I it was terrible they say,nothing like Thailand in which most mean Pattaya .

Stay away from Angeles City and head to Cebu , Boracay,Palawan , Duamegette,Baguio 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, Jingthing said:

My feeling was that their English speaking ability gives us the DELUSION that they think like westerners when in reality their culture is very very different. We think we get them. I seriously doubt that.

I felt the same way living in England. 

On 8/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, Jingthing said:

I still have a list of locations there I am interested in checking out.

Before I moved to to Thailand I knew a number of Filipino immigrants in the U.S. Friendly, absolutely. The ones I knew seemed burdened with Catholic guilt. My feeling was that their English speaking ability gives us the DELUSION that they think like westerners when in reality their culture is very very different. We think we get them. I seriously doubt that.

As least with Thais westerners generally are fully aware of how different they are.

Filipinos think like Catholics (me being nominally one).

You think like a Jew (you nominally being one).

I married a Methodist, also a different culture.

You aren't part of my culture, just as I am not part or your culture.

To share a culture, you need to share a religion.

I'm betting Filipinos (Catholic) share more culture with me (Catholic) than I share with either you (Jewish) or my (former) Brit wife (Methodist) or my current Thai wife (Buddhist).

Edited by BritManToo