Amount Of Thai Currency I'm Allowed To Bring Into Thailand With Me?

EdgeCityRider

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I briefly read/heard news today it only 50k TB into Thailand,  or maybe it was out, some problem with the Chinese

No limit on other currencies but must declare. 

Why bring Baht? you'll get better rates here in your own currency. 

50k THB IN nope. Yes if going out

https://wise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-thailand#:~:text=Although you can take up,the country with Thai currency.

out 

The regulations regarding the amount of foreign money you can take out of Thailand, and the amount of Thai currency you can take out, are different. Although you can take up to the equivalent of $20,000 out of the country if it's in a foreign currency, different rules apply if you’re planning on taking out Thai baht.

You’re only able to take up to THB 50,000 if you’re leaving the country with Thai currency. To give an idea, that’s around about USD 1500.

in 

According to the details available online, you can bring up to $20,000 - or the equivalent - into Thailand, without needing to take any specific action. Carry in excess of that, and you have to complete a declaration when you arrive 

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thanks I just knew I'd picked it up, but didn't bother putting it in my memory bank at the time.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Is that on a pane with you ,and what country are coming from

" ny person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer."

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84708-bringing-currency-in-and-out-of-thailand?page=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734d&menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734e

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

50k THB IN nope. Yes if going out

According to the Thai embassy 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84708-bringing-currency-in-and-out-of-thailand?page=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734d&menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734e

"Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer. "

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

"Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer. "

From the same page

For Thai currency (Baht), any person can bring total amount not exceed THB500,000 to any Thailand’s bounded countries and not exceed THB50,000 to any destination countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The key word there is "foreign currency", I doubt the Thais consider THB a foreign currency.

No matter the limit, I for one wouldn't want to do international traveling with large amounts of cash, to many chances for customs workers to try and pocket some for themselves.

4 minutes ago, bbko said:

The key word there is "foreign currency", I doubt the Thais consider THB a foreign currency.

No matter the limit, I for one wouldn't want to do international traveling with large amounts of cash, to many chances for customs workers to try and pocket some for themselves.

The assumption is that since you would be coming from a foreign country , you would be bringing foreign currency. I would be very foolish IMO to exchange your home currency for Thai baht at your home country because you get a terrible exchange rate . At least such is the case in the US. 

Exchange a little bit at the airport to have enough to get around until you get to your final destination , and then exchange the rest there , I find Super-rich to have the best exchange rates. Make sure to bring clean , undamaged , unmarked bills , most  places will not exchange bills that are old, marked or in any way damaged.

We now live here, but when we were in the US , we always went to the bank and asked for new , $100 bills.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, transam said:

Read very good!!

You must declare cash of £10,000 or more to UK customs 

Meaning you must declare STARTING from 10 000 ...so 9999 no declaration needed....

Same "confusion trick " in Europe ,dont give costoms a chance ????

On 8/4/2023 at 6:21 PM, david555 said:

Read very good!!

Meaning you must declare STARTING from 10 000 ...so 9999 no declaration needed....

Well yes, but if you want to "lose" 20,000 quid, then you will or may have a problem if the trained sniffer dog stops you.

In this day and age you can shift money no problem by a smartphone, but for those who have dodgy money, the risk is there.  ????

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

USD20,000 or its equivalent

Read 'em and weap..........

Wouldn't mind betting if it were 10k and you were to make it 9999 and you had a debit card in your pocket with money in it......... wacked!!!!!

It's fairly well documented all over the web  with easy access to the regulations, sounds fishy to me why ask here...

Edited by bluejets
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, david555 said:

Read very good!!

You can find yourself just as compromised having to explain a legitimate source for far more paltry sums to UK customs (£1K and up) baggage check/xray staff are given a daily threshold amount to notify customs

4 hours ago, Regyai said:

You can find yourself just as compromised having to explain a legitimate source for far more paltry sums to UK customs (£1K and up) baggage check/xray staff are given a daily threshold amount to notify customs

yes , and even  small coins are counted into that 9999 amount , as we all know the uniform gives power.....to inform , and person has to keep it on himself .....

carrying for a companion , wife or elses is not allowed into the max. sum 9999 (or less).

Each person can only carry his OWN max. 9999 , no excuses accepted to carry it for your very old mum or dad for security reasons ....

Beware !!

Edited by david555

On 8/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, EdgeCityRider said:

I will be moving to Pattaya within the next 3 months. What is the limit of Thai Baht that I'm allowed to bring into the country with me? Any info will be greatly appreciated!

There's no restriction on the amount of Thai currency that can be brought into Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, MJCM said:

For Thai currency (Baht), any person can bring total amount not exceed THB500,000 to any Thailand’s bounded countries and not exceed THB50,000 to any destination countries.

That is not regarding THB into Thailand, it's taking THB to other countries!  

"For Thai currency (Baht), any person can bring total amount not exceed THB500,000 to any Thailand’s bounded countries and not exceed THB50,000 to any destination countries".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, sirineou said:

The assumption is that since you would be coming from a foreign country , you would be bringing foreign currency.

Why assume something that the OP has clearly stated he is not planning to do?  He's asking about THB cash into Thailand...

"What is the limit of Thai Baht that I'm allowed to bring into the country with me?"

Edited by Liverpool Lou

My wife and I have frequently brought GBP into Thailand. We bring in as clean £20 notes - no tears, writing etc.

Limit through UK airports is £10k so we carry £9.5k each. If you are stopped they will likely ask if you are travelling with anyone. If so they will likely pull that person as well. My wife kept her Thai surname and so would book a flight separately using her bank card and usually on a different flight..  

Once in Thailand we split into amounts of about £3k and changed at different exchange booths - this may not be necessary but can't be too careful. Then straight to the bank to deposit.

Of course you can get pulled and questioned for smaller amounts in UK airports - maybe just a few thousand - but so far neither of us has ever been stopped.

14 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

My wife and I have frequently brought GBP into Thailand. We bring in as clean £20 notes - no tears, writing etc.

Limit through UK airports is £10k so we carry £9.5k each. If you are stopped they will likely ask if you are travelling with anyone. If so they will likely pull that person as well. My wife kept her Thai surname and so would book a flight separately using her bank card and usually on a different flight..  

Once in Thailand we split into amounts of about £3k and changed at different exchange booths - this may not be necessary but can't be too careful. Then straight to the bank to deposit.

Of course you can get pulled and questioned for smaller amounts in UK airports - maybe just a few thousand - but so far neither of us has ever been stopped.

You might now...........................????........................????