2023 Triumph Speed 400 single

Denim

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

OK.

So we can conclude they are in fact still made in the UK. Also in Thailand, Brazil and India (in partnership with Bajaj).

Obviously, but chances are, if buying a Triumph, with few exceptions, it's not made in the UK.

Appears not much is any more, was my initial thought, and why Brexit has hit the UK hard.  Lack or manufacturing, for UK or export, and not being self sufficient on feeding itself.

So many defunct vehicle manufactures.  Though same worldwide, when labor & taxes are simply too high an overhead, and cheaper to make UK products elsewhere, then import them in.

Whether simply cheaper or better made (ex; MGs) outside the UK, USA or where ever they keep a HQ, probably for import tax purposes, or just to say, a UK or USA brand ????

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Obviously, but chances are, if buying a Triumph, with few exceptions, it's not made in the UK.

But you stated they are no longer made there. I was correcting you.

Appears not much is any more, was my initial thought, and why Brexit has hit the UK hard.  Lack or manufacturing, for UK or export, and not being self sufficient on feeding itself.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Manufacturing in the UK has been in decline for years. It's a service based economy since long before Brexit. 

So many defunct vehicle manufactures.  Though same worldwide, when labor & taxes are simply too high an overhead, and cheaper to make UK products elsewhere, then import them in.

Yes. Like Triumph, R&D is in the UK, but unless you want the UK workforce to work for 10 dollars a day then it's cheaper to manufacture in Asia. 

Whether simply cheaper or better made (ex; MGs) outside the UK, USA or where ever they keep a HQ, probably for import tax purposes, or just to say, a UK or USA brand ????

It's cheaper. End of. I'd rather have a bike made in Europe like my 899 or Japan like my MT09, but Thai made Triumph's are still very good build quality. I personally wouldn't buy a Chinese made vehicle for both ethical and quality reasons. 

• Like 1

Same goes for stereo speakers. I just bought a pair of French designed and engineered speakers made in China and an English designed and engineered sub woofer made in China.

Before covid I saw quite a few Indian built KTM Dukes around Pattaya. Now they have all disappeared.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

But you stated they are no longer made there. I was correcting you.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Manufacturing in the UK has been in decline for years. It's a service based economy since long before Brexit. 

Yes. Like Triumph, R&D is in the UK, but unless you want the UK workforce to work for 10 dollars a day then it's cheaper to manufacture in Asia. 

It's cheaper. End of. I'd rather have a bike made in Europe like my 899 or Japan like my MT09, but Thai made Triumph's are still very good build quality. I personally wouldn't buy a Chinese made vehicle for both ethical and quality reasons. 

Reading comprehension ...

... not because of Brexit

... but why Brexit hit so far

Other point, we'll just have to agree to disagree on quality out of CH.  Big fan myself ????

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing to do with Brexit UK cannot compete with Asian assembled motorcycles.

Get someone in UK to make all components and get them ensemble aboard.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, Treebeard said:

A good point as you mention the excellent fit and finish, so I would say that it's basically a Triumph designed bike, built to Triumph standards by Bajaj. Semantics by myself, as I am a Triumph fan. Similarly, as Bajaj build some KTM's. Also remember, most Triumphs are made in Thailand now, very few in England.

Triumph Motorcycles To Increase Production At Hinckley, UK (carandbike.com)

The link above from last year, say Triumph are going to increase production at Hinckley up to 15 000 units /year.

A lot will be the top end market bikes.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:23 PM, KhunLA said:

Other point, we'll just have to agree to disagree on quality out of CH.  Big fan myself ????

Well, without wishing to turn this into a Brexit thread you might wish to note that the UK economy is doing fine, while the German economy with all it's manufacturing is struggling. So Brexit didn't really "hit that hard" given the Germans stayed in the EU and are doing worse than the UK who left.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/german-recession-will-be-sharper-than-expected-ifo-2023-06-21/

Back to Triumph, I'm expecting 189,000 for the Speed and 199,000 for the Scrambler. Reviews of the speed have been very positive, although I personally prefer the looks of the scrambler (which seems to be mainly a styling exercise since a CRF300L would obliterate it in any real-world off road conditions).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...