Explaining Thailand to people that have never been

bignok

Disneyland, run by Goofy, supervised from afar by Mickey ????

Or......

Lovely place to visit but my sanity wouldn't let me live there ????

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

So what's not to like?

Boiling 90% humidity (my least favourite thing), food poisoning, mozzies/dengue, soi dogs/rabies, rip off merchants everywhere (thai & foreign), no rules driving.

I've weighed these and the benefits up against UK winters and paying council tax and have decided to stay put for now.  Each to their own though.

But AFAIK most westerners understand Thailand as Ladyboys, hookers & beaches - if they've experienced high humidity that would also shed light on the matter

Edited by ICU Kid
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unless you live in a cave in remote place on earth, no need to explain Thailand to anyone, most people all ready heard about Thailand being a giant mongering/sex haven/destination with beautiful islands and beaches.

When someone asks me where im off to and I say Thailand, the response is «  doesn’t the in your face prostitution bother you ? »

ive met a lot of people who have been very disappointed with their Thailand holidays , and a lot who say they liked it years ago but wouldn’t go back again. they agree that the beaches of Phuket are beautiful.  I would say that many «  tourists » are snowbirds like myself , or first timers, or Chinese and Russian. 

On 8/7/2023 at 1:57 PM, bignok said:

A lot of people don't get it. They have fixed ideas about other countries.

So you going to Pattaya?

Nah going to Mae Sariang. Huh?

Then I might go to Koh Chang? Huh?

Then I might go to Ubon. What?

Why don't you go to Samui? Because its full of farangs.

What's a farang? People like you. What?

You're obviously mixing with the wrong croud 

31 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

Boiling 90% humidity (my least favourite thing), food poisoning, mozzies/dengue, soi dogs/rabies, rip off merchants everywhere (thai & foreign), no rules driving.

I've weighed these and the benefits up against UK winters and paying council tax and have decided to stay put for now.  Each to their own though.

But AFAIK most westerners understand Thailand as Ladyboys, hookers & beaches - if they've experienced high humidity that would also shed light on the matter

"Boiling 90% humidity (my least favourite thing), food poisoning, mozzies/dengue, soi dogs/rabies, rip off merchants everywhere (thai & foreign), no rules driving."

I live on Samui right on a beach so the Sea-Breeze means the humidity doesn't bother me.....Also, I have aircon in my house and cars......If you are now living in the UK which is not entirely clear from your answer then how did you cope with the rediculous Heatwave in June this year???...Do you have Aircon in your house and car?

"Food poisioning".... You can get anywhere in the World....Depends where and what you choose to eat as to your chances of getting it!

"Mozzies"....No Mozzies in the UK then???....Try a so called "Summer Holiday" in Scotland and please report back on the insect bites you get up there if you manage to venture out on the rare occasions when it isn't P!ssing Down!

"Dengue".....Had it once......Not pleasant, but less bothersome than Flu or Covid in my experience....Had Covid twice.

"Rabies"....No reported rabies cases on Samui for years.....If you do get bitten then a simple course of injections is available very cheaply at the Government Hospital or at other Private Hospitals if you want to pay more...Same as everywhere in Thailand!

"Rip Off Merchants everywhere".......Welcome to the world!.....So they don't have Scammers in the UK???...Also try getting an Electrician or Plumber out over there...Particularly over The Christmas Period!

"No rules driving".........Prosecutions for drink driving have increased 16 per cent from 2020, rising to 33,099 cases in 2022 in the UK.

"I've weighed these and the benefits up against UK winters and paying council tax and have decided to stay put for now.  Each to their own though."

"UK Winters"...No thanks!......."Council Tax."....No Council Tax here if you rent!

I lived in the UK for 46 years...I have lived on Samui for the last 15 years.

I know where I want to stay!

Taken from my back garden......

Sunrise....

image.jpeg.b35892b4cf938aab9b0f5b0af794d9e8.jpeg

My place again...Afternoon in January

image.thumb.jpeg.7eddd1388ec4961a822d2599daaa4a7c.jpeg

UK Women...

image.jpeg.70f9c3efa4b7e297b3639e9de455d823.jpeg

Thai Women...

image.jpeg.f8f2a9071721c0fdbfe1295fa994e6b1.jpeg

Enjoy your trip to Scotland or maybe Blackpool if you can afford the petrol, food and accomodation? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Certainly one of the main reasons of retiring to Thailand was my not being able to afford retirement in the USA. Many "developed economies" see working middle class folks in the same boat. Yes, I am an economic refugee fleeing the USA economy.

W. if you could afford it. would you rather live back in the Western world where you were born? 

I can afford either but far prefer to be here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

W. if you could afford it. would you rather live back in the Western world where you were born? 

I can afford either but far prefer to be here. 

West is boring after 3 weeks. My limit.

Lots of boys got off track again. 

People always have rhis impression Thailand is real cheap to live and vacation.  I tell them that was more true 20-30 years ago. 

Massage 10 vs 80

Hotels 50 vs 120

Beers same but crappy

Avavados 6 vs 1

Good steak 30 vs 15 actually always to tough in TH

Street food  5 vs 13

Decent  western meal at restaurant 15 vs 20

Mango  i tell them you probably haven't tasted a ripe mango until Thailand.  But not so true lately.  Some mangos here are actually pretty good but its like a 25% chance. However wife had a Thai wife ship us some from their olace in Florida and to die for.  

Daylight  12 vs 16

Humidity i dont like.   

On different note.  If you look at the numbers fir average retirement savings at 60 in USA not many could afford the 800k and to live in Thailand. I had googke fiber installed a month ago   and the in house installer was interested in Thailand for the women.  He told me he has some savings and 50k in an IRA.  This guy is not far from homeless.   2 failed marriages.