Child neglect: Third-grader left locked in classroom after falling ill

webfact

image.jpeg

A 30 year old named Padungsilp shared a distressing child neglect situation from yesterday involving his sick son who studies in third grade in a school located in Pakham District, Buriram Province. The boy fell ill at school and after consuming medication, dozed off on his classroom desk.

The puzzling incident happened around 4pm on the previous day when Padungsilp arrived at the school to pick his son up. After failing to locate his son both at the school and at home, he began a frantic search, which lasted over an hour. A parent finally pointed him towards a locked classroom from where a child’s crying sounded. Panicked, Padungsilp broke open the door, finding his feverish and terrified son inside.

“My son was scared and hot with the existing fever. I feel very sorry for my son. I didn’t expect something like this to happen,” he shared, detailing how he took the boy to the hospital for fear he could experience trauma. The next morning, Padungsilp visited the school head to inform them about what had happened. However, instead of receiving understanding and reassurance, the educators appeared displeased and even asked him what he wanted them to do.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Photo courtesy of jcomp/freepik

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/third-grader-left-locked-in-classroom-after-falling-ill-distressing-response-from-buriram-school-alarms-parents

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4

Welcome to the Thai education and welfare system.

I'm surprised the school haven't sued this awful parent for bringing this to public attention and damaging its (and the head's) wonderful reputation! ????????????

• Thumbs Up 2

Common in Thailand... I had kids in my school too that were ill, but nobody came to pick them up, even from hospital.. I don't know why some people have kids if they don't care about it. There was once a boy and we practice a show for Mother's Day with a small group and just before the performance when I asked him if he did not had to bring a gift for his mother or grandmother, as most other kids did, he started to cry and told me that nobody came to see him singing( and he is good in singing!). Sadly that even those days kids are left alone, while they preach to honor their parents

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't know why some people have kids if they don't care about it.

I don't know how long you've been in Thailand but, often, Thais do not have kids to take care of them. Thais have kids so that, when they get old, the kid will take care of them. I suppose it stems from Thailand having no welfare system to speak of, and people do not pay into anything to get a decent pension when they are too old to work.

But this can have serious consequences. Kids are often palmed off to grandparents to raise, people who might be struggling to take care of themselves let alone a boisterous child. There is also little or no discipline administered, or if there is it is ignored, and so you end with with entitled little $hits who think they can do what they want.

Different culture to us, different needs.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know how long you've been in Thailand but, often, Thais do not have kids to take care of them. Thais have kids so that, when they get old, the kid will take care of them. I suppose it stems from Thailand having no welfare system to speak of, and people do not pay into anything to get a decent pension when they are too old to work.

But this can have serious consequences. Kids are often palmed off to grandparents to raise, people who might be struggling to take care of themselves let alone a boisterous child. There is also little or no discipline administered, or if there is it is ignored, and so you end with with entitled little $hits who think they can do what they want.

Different culture to us, different needs.

I am more than 20 years living here... so I know. But still