No alcohol 3 weeks

bignok

On 8/10/2023 at 8:36 AM, Lacessit said:

Methyl alcohol is poisonous, it's where blindness and death come from with illicit alcohol. Hence the term blind drunk. It is metabolized to formaldehyde in the liver.

Oddly enough, the therapy for methanol poisoning is to imbibe even more ethanol, as it speeds up elimination.

Being the Stickler for Detail that I happen to be, I just wanted to point out something I know that you know, but neglected to mention, namely that, depending on the process, some alcoholic beverages may contain minute percentages of methanol, both through the fermentation process and through the distillation process. I searched the net for a few good links clarifying this point, but was able to find only this, in short order:

https://byo.com/article/the-alcohols-of-beer/#:~:text=One of the main pathways,be more careful of methanol.

Being a chemist, you could easily tell us the processes by which this happens.

However, I may not be available, for a certain period of time, to read your reply, should you post one, because, you see...

I may be going on sabbatical in coming weeks, perhaps months.

Everything is just so uncertain at this juncture of time.

Life is full of these little uncertainties.

I know that I shall miss my old pals, but also know that they will be very well looked after.

Well...Ta-ta...

(And, yes, I know both meanings.)

• Love It 1

whats the most you can down in a day before it kills you? Always sceptical of the ex drinkers who claim the were drinking 3 litres of vodka a day etc. If you are going to go over the top at least have a bit of class about it!

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Being the Stickler for Detail that I happen to be, I just wanted to point out something I know that you know, but neglected to mention, namely that, depending on the process, some alcoholic beverages may contain minute percentages of methanol, both through the fermentation process and through the distillation process. I searched the net for a few good links clarifying this point, but was able to find only this, in short order:

https://byo.com/article/the-alcohols-of-beer/#:~:text=One of the main pathways,be more careful of methanol.

Being a chemist, you could easily tell us the processes by which this happens.

However, I may not be available, for a certain period of time, to read your reply, should you post one, because, you see...

I may be going on sabbatical in coming weeks, perhaps months.

Everything is just so uncertain at this juncture of time.

Life is full of these little uncertainties.

I know that I shall miss my old pals, but also know that they will be very well looked after.

Well...Ta-ta...

(And, yes, I know both meanings.)

Life is never full of uncertainties - there is always room for more.

Back in the day, slowly sobering up in a distant and unfamiliar part of Taipei, as it started to rain, I thought “this could not get any worse”, and I have rarely been so spectacularly wrong.

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Life is never full of uncertainties - there is always room for more.

Back in the day, slowly sobering up in a distant and unfamiliar part of Taipei, as it started to rain, I thought “this could not get any worse”, and I have rarely been so spectacularly wrong.

Wishing not to be misunderstood, which has often been the story of my life, my sabbatical is one I look forward to with good health and much cheer.

In fact, I plan to do a bit of payback for as long as my good intentions may last.

During recent weeks, further enlightenment and understanding has gradually been gelling, and now seems solidified within me.

Here am I, one with vast amounts of accumulated useful knowledge, a premier education, and too much time on my hands.

Recently, I have come to the realization that I might use this time in a less frivolous way than has hitherto been entirely the case, maybe even to help partially avert a few of the disasters that lie ahead for our world.

Some might misunderstand this statement, too, and mistakenly believe that my grandiosity knows no bounds.

On the contrary, I have never believed myself grandiose.

One can waste only so much time before, one day, or one evening, one finally wakes up to smell the coffee.

And I have asked myself, how many words have I written in the past which may have fallen on deaf ears?

How many seeds did I sow among thorns?

And, would it not be better to do some payback, some sowing of seed in places where my seed will thrive?

Ignorance is a curse in our world, today.

I see ignorance almost everywhere.

And now it is my humble plan to go forth among the ignorant, Quixote-like, and shed light where there is darkness.

I will go alone, having no Sancho, and therefore wish me luck, as I shall need it.

Again, I say...

Ta-ta...

Dear Friends...

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here am I, one with vast amounts of accumulated useful knowledge, a premier education, and too much time on my hands.

Likewise, but in my experience, nobody cares about anyone they don't know.

I was trying to educate my Thai wife, but given I was merely an ATM, she wasn't interested in learning anything.

Whatever knowledge and wisdom I learned in my life will go up in smoke along with my biological transport mechanism.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Prepare to be disappointed.

I am not worried.

I shall hide my light under my bushel until the time is ripe to allow it to shine.

I will share my light only with those that will not disappoint me.

I have been chastened in the past by not focusing my light where it should go.

My beacon shall be a light of hope for the deserving few who,

Like disciples will travel forth to spread the word I have related to them.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am not worried.

I shall hide my light under my bushel until the time is ripe to allow it to shine.

I will share my light only with those that will not disappoint me.

I have been chastened in the past by not focusing my light where it should go.

My beacon shall be a light of hope for the deserving few who,

There are few amongst us so ready to share a little light in the gloom of our limited imaginations.  I had the remarkable good fortune to be recommended “In The Penal Colony” by one of our fellow posters, and I wish I could offer such helpful advice to my peers.  Perhaps read again Catch 22, or The World of Suzie Wong

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Steady on, pal, ye’re not the ‘kin’ Pope

Ref previous story about TheBlether

Edited by StreetCowboy

27 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Steady on, pal, ye’re not the ‘kin’ Pope

Ref previous story about TheBlether

No NEED to reference any..."story".

There are some mythical figures whom one never forgets.

Those were the days...

theblether

beetlejuice

etc

etc

etc...

(mythical figures?  Am I now speaking of Animal Farm?)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I had the remarkable good fortune to be recommended “In The Penal Colony” by one of our fellow posters, and I wish I could offer such helpful advice to my peers.  Perhaps read again Catch 22, or The World of Suzie Wong

Just please do not tell me that you forget our discussion of the DRUNKEN PEASANTS beating a dead horse, and the nonexistent beaten horse in Catch-22 which I was sure existed, but actually existed only in the film, maybe.

Drinking can lead to all kinds of bad behavior.

Here is just one example:

image.jpeg.ccd797b4837ab4b57823b8c241ce93ed.jpeg

Why do drunken peasants and fools, especially in literature, beat animals, if they do?

As for Kafka, whom you mention, he was very big on animals: "dogs, jackals, leopards, a tiger, a panther, a vulture, a cat, and a mouse; a few unspecified animals, such as a mole-like and a marten-like; mythological creatures, including sirens and a dragon; a kitten-lamb crossbreed; and several humanimal protagonists: a human transformed into vermin, a man who used to be a horse, and an ape turned into a human being. Nonhuman animals¹ abound also in Kafka’s personal writings." 

One day, we must speak again about that beating of a horse by a drunken lout, a beating that I am sure is in Crime and Punishment, and also in either the film or the novel, Catch-22.

Some men lose their sanity when drunk.

Even three weeks off the sauce, is an improvement for some.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1