Robbie Robertson, leader of The Band, dies aged 80

webfact

image.jpeg
FILE - Robbie Robertson performing with The Band in San Francisco in 1976

Robbie Robertson, lead guitarist and songwriter of The Band, has died aged 80.

Robertson was behind such classics as The Weight, Up On Cripple Creek, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

His manager of 34 years, Jared Levine, wrote: "Robbie was surrounded by his family at the time of his death, including his wife, Janet, his ex-wife, Dominique, her partner Nicholas, and his children Alexandra, Sebastian, Delphine and Delphine's partner Kenny.

Full story: https://news.sky.com/story/robbie-robertson-lead-guitarist-and-songwriter-of-the-band-dies-aged-80-12937002

image.png

-- © Copyright  SKY NEWS 2023-08-10

• Sad 1

Another one passed on,  another Canadian. Bugger. Hope he left stage left & quietly.

I often wonder who will remember these legends?

Thanks to my Pop, I fondly remember Max Bygraves, Des O'Connor, Ricky Vallance and Engelbert Humperdinky (sic????).

Music to me transcends all boundaries.????????

• Like 1

I saw The Band 4 times: Fillmore East, Schaefer Harvard Stadium, Boston Symphony Hall and Watkins Glen. Janis Joplin gave one of her final performances here. I remember one Boston writer saying The Band came on more like the Budapest String Quartet than a rock band. Great stuff. I like their performance at 1971 Academy of Music more than the Last Waltz.

His later years tiff with Levon Helm over song-writing credits was sad. 

image.jpeg.e24e236a289eb2250ec9d205337951e4.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney

I love the part in the Once Were Brothers doco when Robbie explains the beginnings of one of his 2 most famous songs. "The Weight" (the other being The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down).

He said he was noodling around on his C.F. Martin acoustic guitar when he looked inside of it and saw that the Martin Company was based in Nazareth, PA. Thus come the opening line:

I pulled into Nazareth,

was feeling 'bout half-past dead.

I also once read elsewhere that he saw the song like a Luis Buñuel movie

15 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the available information, it would seem that, by the time a problem was recognized, it had already progressed to  prostate cancer metastasis else a radical prostate removal would have been available.

That's sad.