Is Thaksin sending a message back home by visiting Cambodia?

webfact

thak_hun.jpg

Thaksin and his sister Yingluck Shinawatra joined Hun Sen’s birthday party at his residence in Takhmao, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh on August 5, 2023.

The presence of two former Thai premiers — Thaksin Shinawatra and his sister Yingluck — in Cambodia on August 5 was not only a personal visit to celebrate strongman Hun Sen’s birthday but also a clear message for the establishment of the new government in Bangkok, experts said.

Pictures of the cheerful celebration at Hun Sen’s residence in Takhmao, on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, were shared by Cambodia’s local media, Fresh News, pointing to the close ties between the Shinawatra clan and the Cambodian political family.

Sitting at a dining table, Thaksin was seen talking with Hun Sen’s eldest son, Hun Manet, who was appointed by King Norodom Sihamoni on August 7 as prime minister after the Cambodian People’s Party made a near-clean sweep of the July 23 election, winning 120 out of 125 seats in the House of Representatives. Hun Manet took over the reins of power from his father, Hun Sen, who had ruled the country since 1985.

Thaksin’s presence with the Hun Sen family made media headlines, as he was seen in Phnom Penh just a day after his announcement postponing his return to Thailand after a 15-year self-imposed exile. The delay seemed to be tied to the uncertain political situation in Thailand, as his Pheu Thai Party was struggling to form a new coalition and making all-out efforts to secure backing for its candidate for prime minister. Thaksin, however, gave medical reasons for the delay. Thaksin’s daughter Paetongtarn had announced on Thaksin’s birthday on July 26 that her father would return to Thailand on August 10.

By Thai PBS World’s Regional Desk

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-thaksin-sending-a-message-back-home-by-visiting-cambodia/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin Shinawatra and his sister Yingluck — in Cambodia on August 5 was not only a personal visit to celebrate strongman Hun Sen’s birthday but also a clear message for the establishment of the new government in Bangkok, experts said.

Did he cross the border into Thailand?

No... 

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Thaksin sending a message back home by visiting Cambodia?

Yup. The message is:

I got you all pondering, searching for meaning in my actions, gifting me headlines while increasing your paranoia. I got you all so wired that if you encounter anything starting with a "T" in your daily life you automatically go to DefCon-3: a Toaster, a Toyota, a Toilet - all this triggers you, when in fact I just like to go to a party.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bannork said:

Yes, he was saying to the ruling elite in Thailand, " Trust me, I love authoritarian governments that crush any opposition by any means. Let me come back and I'll do the same for you.''

Thailand has experienced 14 years of authoritarian government out of the last 22yrs.

The 8 years of democratic governance that Thais enjoyed were under the stewardship of Mr T and Yingluk.

Authoritarian would be the last word to describe either of their terms.

Nice try though.

• Sad 1

He is trying to stay in their minds and remain relevant whilst equally showing he is on the doorstep.

I don't think he was interested in Hun Sen's birthday in the slightest, it just suited his current needs.

Narcissists are like that.

• Like 1

He parked himself there a few years back I recall, so this is no big deal.  I recall reading stories about people who would go there spouting redshirt sympathies trying to get some dosh off of him, and he sends them away empty-handed.

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Yup. The message is:

I got you all pondering, searching for meaning in my actions, gifting me headlines while increasing your paranoia. I got you all so wired that if you encounter anything starting with a "T" in your daily life you automatically go to DefCon-3: a Toaster, a Toyota, a Toilet - all this triggers you, when in fact I just like to go to a party.

Not ALL!! Personally I couldn’t t care less what he does!! Or where he does it!!!