Customs concludes the case of counterfeit luxury watch auctions

webfact

47 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Clarity, what a concept. Reading the OP three times, I still not sure I am following the hoop jumps, backward hoop jumps, sideways hoop jumps while balancing on one foot. However, after all that I do feel positive no one in a position of authority was responsible for this unfortunate event, in reality, more a misunderstanding. Isn't that what it is all about?

I think its called "word salad" intentionally to confuse. I actually bought a Rolex Submariner back when I was working.The dealer shop was in Siam Square. I assumed it was all above board.I sold it after 1 year as I was traveling a lot at the time and got way too many stares and looks that it made me fear I was going to get robbed/mugged.I could have got a replica for 1k. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaideedave said:

.I sold it after 1 year as I was traveling a lot at the time and got way too many stares and looks that it made me fear I was going to get robbed/mugged.I could have got a replica for 1k. 

And still mugged... the robber seldom checks if it's fake before dropping you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the Thai rights representative communicated with the parent company's representative in Hong Kong

What Western luxury watch is made in China?

I believe none, albeit some parts might be Chinese manufactured such as a casing or minor moving parts. For example Swiss Luxory watches must have final assembly in Switzerland with 60% Swiss made parts.

So why would one (ie., Thai customs) use a Hong Kong representative for verification of authenticity? 

• Haha 1

You seize counterfeit watches, then you check and they are real. So shouldnt you return then? I call this a theft then. They thought they were counterfeit, though?!

No customs is selling then watches and then afterwards it is fake again?!

Verifying, re verifying, amazing

They should have been destroyed if counterfeit and never been sold. That is why you seize them. And if they were real they should have gone back to stores, as they were taken as counterfeits, but werent?! There is no other reason mentioned the counterfeit.

correct me if im wrong in understanding this story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Good point, I was in Shanghai and Bejing walking the local streets near my hotel to have a look around when I started to feel uneasy. I also had issues getting it insured. 30 years ago we used to wear the 500 baht copies around the bars all over Pattaya and never got so much as a second glance.  For that amount I probably wouldn't have put up much resistance. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So a luxury shop in a hi class mall in Patum Wan where the watches were seized ? later 3 of 14 were fake. Do I have it correct?

10 hours ago, kennw said:

So a luxury shop in a hi class mall in Patum Wan where the watches were seized ? later 3 of 14 were fake. Do I have it correct?

The watches were seized from a hi-class shop in a well known mall.
The shop must have been selling genuine watches as customs later had them verified by an agent who gave written guarantees that they were legit.

After the auction it became apparent that 3 of them were fake.

So 3 options:

1] the agent falsified the verification documents

2]the agent did a swap for 3 fakes

3]customs did a swap for 3 fakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:48 AM, webfact said:

the Customs Department established a fact-finding committee to investigate the matter, resulting in disciplinary actions against officers involved.

Another corrupt institution where wrong-doers escape proper punishment.  Anyone trying to import stuff is subject to blackmail before their legitimate stuff is released by these crooks.

• Like 1