Portugal review is good

bignok

Looked and went to southern Portugal first, tried Northern parts later, the people are mostly friendly.

You had to be careful alone in some places because of muggings and I got broken into everywhere I stayed.

• Thanks 1

Niece bought an estate there moving from one she had bought in France 4 years before, fell in love with Portugal and winters in France too cold. Sold and moved after another 4 years and now lives in Scotland, according to her the Portuguese were too often racist and misogynistic and the health care was  expensive. But then she is one of those lefty liberals who moan about everything and even wanted Corbyn to win the last election. Cant please everyone and some are never happy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Went twice, basically: Spain for 20% off.

Portugal can't be compared with Spain. Completely different culture and attitudes.

Spaniards are arrogant, while Portuguese are friendly and helpful.

Portugal is also green, while most of Spain is a desert

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 1

We're in the realm of slight exaggeration for comic effect; a realm you apparently may never actually enter.

To the casual observer of ye olde Colonial buildings and little tapas plates, there's def some overlap. 

I say if you love Portugal, you'll love sexy, afro-mixed Brazil ten times more.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Brutal flat 25% tax on all income for expats there (Brazil is even higher).

I thought that Portugal has a tax agreement with the US , UK and many other countries , where you either pay income tax in your country, or Portugal but not both. I only have a cursory knowledge of the issue, so please forgive me if I got it wrong. 

Yeah, there is reciprocal agreement act you only have to pay the higher amount (USA versa Portugal).

Essentially, you are trading your state income tax for the Portugal 25% levy. The average state income tax is 9%.

You're getting access to their medical system etc., but most people will be unhappy to be potentially paying triple their state tax.

In Brazil, there is no tax treaty with the US. So you have the pleasure of paying both.

You can skip out on state taxes as an expat, but a lot of the states will still chase you, even if you leave by the book like I did (and still got unsuccessfully chased).

Edited by LaosLover

15 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Zero visa issues and free healthcare (for EU citizens) in Portugal 

Brasil doesn't come close.

Mulattas with turd-slicer bikinis not my dish.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Went twice, basically: Spain for 20% off. Latin America offers Spain for 50% off.

More brits there than in Benidorm. You've been warned.

Only been to Spain twice, semi desert could not see what the attraction is, even the shops shut in the afternoon. The only thing I liked was the incredibly cheap wine, Portugal must be better than Spain.

It's down to the flav-uh. I didn't love Morocco either. I was cooling my heels in Mexico City waiting for Thailand to reopen. I'd rather be in Ubon in a flat roof dump than in high end condo in Mexico.

For USA GenX, Latin America is to them what Thailand was to me. In Europe, they prefer Ibiza to Ko Phagnan. The world changes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

If you've been there and you retire to Portugal you will be looking out over the ocean knowing that cross it is Brazil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

i am gen x. never liked raves too much. glow sticks are very dangerous. ????

Nicaragua is another Lonely Planet biggie, but you have to take your suitcase down to the beach with you. Otherwise, someone will rob it as soon as you leave your room.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Nicaragua is another Lonely Planet biggie, but you have to take your suitcase down to the beach with you. Otherwise, someone will rob it as soon as you leave your room.

Wont they rob it on the sand?

3 hours ago, proton said:

Niece bought an estate there moving from one she had bought in France 4 years before, fell in love with Portugal and winters in France too cold. Sold and moved after another 4 years and now lives in Scotland, according to her the Portuguese were too often racist and misogynistic and the health care was  expensive. But then she is one of those lefty liberals who moan about everything and even wanted Corbyn to win the last election. Cant please everyone and some are never happy. 

To be honest, sleeping in a car in any location is never a long-term proposition.....