Best mid to top level Indian restaurant Bangkok

Sigmund

To all the distinguished gourment amateurs of indian cuisine in the forum, which would be the one of the best Indian restaurant in Bangkok in your experience ?

A nice place from mid level to top level and within reasonable reach of a Skytrain station of course.

Thank you for your suggestions, comments ....

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've been told by a wealthy expat that Charcoal is the bees knees but I'm poor so I can't go and check it out ????

5 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Bawarchi - Sukhumvit 11

Punjab Grill - Sukhumvit 13

Both top end

Thank you gentlemen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amritsr is excellent (Soi 22 and Soi 11)

They even give you a heavy water goblet so you can feel like a medieval lord.

That said, I think Al Hussein on Soi 3/1 is just as good and better value. It's not strictly Indian though, but they do have an Indian menu.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice to see Amitsr get a nod -a classic oldie. Not strictly Indian, but look at Ministry of Crab. Dosa King has some pretty pricey pure vegan food, but it's top notch in that category. Madras-level.

Charcoal and Punjabi are innovative. Less innovative, but the best Indian food I ever ate was at the Rang Mahal, partic the tandoori dishes. They do a Sunday buffet too (but no tandoori prawns on offer).

The other 2 places have mind-blowing Sunday buffets too. May as well toss Indus on the brunch pile too. Astonishing tandoori broccoli. 

Edited by LaosLover

For top-end Indian restaurant, I think Benares in Sukhumvit soi 13 which is a relatively newcomer, is the best. I prefer it to Charcoal or Punjab Grill.

The old favourite Indus on soi 26 is pretty good.

Rang Mahal which a few people have mentioned is good if you go for the Sunday buffet.

For mid-level, Bukhara on Sukhumvit Road, near soi 7, is very good.

51 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Also, I find it interesting that all places recommended here are located in "Mongers' district", while other areas such as Silom/Banrak have so much more to offer.

Without tons of tourists, good restaurants can't exist. The more tourists, the more interesting and specialized the restaurants can be, due simply to foot fall. Think of Las Vegas. Or New York, or London.

The dining options between Ploen Chit And Ekamai are unparalleled anywhere in the world, and that goes double for the Indian ones.

What's a must do in Silom? Gaa is on my long term list.

Edited by LaosLover

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

For mid-level, Bukhara on Sukhumvit Road, near soi 7, is very good.

First went there in '95. Haven't been in a decade due to more upscale choices.

But any restaurant in a prime location like that for so long is either excellent or laundering money.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Without tons of tourists, good restaurants can't exist. The more tourists, the more interesting and specialized the restaurants can be, due simply to foot fall. Think of Las Vegas. Or New York, or London.

The dining options between Ploen Chit And Ekamai are unparalleled anywhere in the world, and that goes double for the Indian ones.

What's a must do in Silom? Gaa is on my long term list.

I think you have missed a very important factor. Silom and Sathorn is considered to be Thailand´s business and financials districts. Now take a look around the world. Do you usually find great food quality in such areas?

Yeah,  but usually less adventurous food, which Indian would be to most palates.

And Thai locals don't eat a lot of Indian food. There's more than enough free-spending tourists who will pay $400 for Gaggan's vegan pre fixe floating through to have it exist, but only if it's close to their hotels. 

I think of Silom, I think of eating at a W hotel (not that that's exactly a harsh penalty). And tricked up Thai food in a colonial building. Or I think of that street food alley. 

We take a restaurant vacation to BKK a few times a year. Half of those trips are for Suk meals, the rest of the town makes up the other half. We also like Ari for that, btw.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Best Indian restaurant in Bangkok, The Rang Mahal, 26th Floor Rembrandt Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 18.

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Best Indian restaurant in Bangkok, The Rang Mahal, 26th Floor Rembrandt Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 18.

Absolutely, a special dining experience and as some others have said, a great night-time view…

• Like 1

I used to like Mrs. Balbir's in the basement of Robinson's and also the one in the market 7th floor Central World.

She had about 5 or 6 going at once but the last one standing is Central World.

Bawarchi on 11 also very good.

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I think you have missed a very important factor. Silom and Sathorn is considered to be Thailand´s business and financials districts. Now take a look around the world. Do you usually find great food quality in such areas?

There is one on Silom’, next to the big building , a center that sells gold and gems. Can’t remember the name but it was delicious and had many well off people dining there. Main rd, not far from Holiday Inn.

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

There is one on Silom’, next to the big building , a center that sells gold and gems. Can’t remember the name but it was delicious and had many well off people dining there. Main rd, not far from Holiday Inn.

Got it «  Hajiali » ! 

Just now, Ben Zioner said:

Really? Haven't been there since the Covid onslaught, must have been 2020/2021. But that's sad, another victim of the pandemic I guess.

Possibly. I used to work near there. Another problem was that nearby there are a lot of cheap hole in the wall Indian places serving very good food, so Indian Hut lost a lot of the local Indian customers as a result. Thankfully there are still plenty of options in the Bangrak area if you enjoy Indian food ????

• Thanks 1