Food delivery apps are dumb

Harsh Jones

56 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

most of the food these delivery services deliver... is it not from actual restaurants AKA not fast food joints ?

Yes, most Thais aren't ordering their dinner from KFC, McD, or BK.  Pizza Co does a brisk delivery business though, especially 2 for 1 months, if allowed on delivery.

I do order a pizza every once in a blue moon ....  and I enjoy it with my cold beer.    

and i'm certainly not going to walk the kilometer, stand waiting with Thais also waiting ... then walk back amongst the motor bikes, fumes, dust, yelling, idiots, potholes,  broken footpath etc ... .......

besides,  my damn pepperoni pizza will be cold.     Lol

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You're living in the past old pops. You also seem to be living in a fantasy land where everybody drives a car or rides a motorcycle. 

If I want, say a pizza or two whilst I watch a movie then why would I hump the BTS then walk for 15 minutes in the sauna that is Bangkok, pick up my pizza then head home via the same route?

Pizza will be cold by then and I'll be all hot and bothered. Waste of time and money when all I have to do is fire up Grab, choose priority delivery and the nice, polite delivery man or lady will get it to me piping hot (most of the time) and without all the mess and fuss. 

Also, calling the delivery guys grubby, well that's just sad man. They're just normal people trying to eke out a living. You're taking food off their table by not using them, or worse not leaving a tip.

Pizza delivery has always been a custom and has been happening for decades. Nothing new about it. That is because it takes time to make the pizza. So you have to wait 15- 30 minutes minimum. 

Mcdonalds is not the same as pizza.

10 hours ago, JayClay said:

You seem very adamant about this apparent rule. Where exactly is it stipulated that fast food should only be consumed when you are "on the road already"? Is it a legal thing? Or a religious issue perhaps?

Just common sense. It is a fact. 

Ordering Big Macs to your door is like drinking hard liquor at 8 am. Sure, you can do it. But it is stupidity.  

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Mcdonalds is not the same as pizza.

food delivery is not the problem. self-control is the problem.

there are 7-11s everywhere with junk food, supermarkets are full of junk food.

it's ok to have delivery available when you need it.

teens can get away with eating a lot of junk. 

if you're a grown man and you can't control yourself from junk food every day, well then your doctor will sort you out. 

mcdonald's can be "hacked". the ground beef is not unhealthy. 

i use it when i'm busy or stuck somewhere. take out the bread, no fries, no coke. 

and you get a good protein / low carb meal on the go. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That makes no sense.  Why is there fast food chains in malls?

Fast food at the mall ? How is that not one of the most appropriate places for fast food ? You are away from your dwelling. And I indulge in it when I am at the mall. Plus it gives you the opportunity to walk a meal off.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

You have to pay a premium too. Walking to buy food should be part of your exercise regime if you're retired.

Yeah. Its not like the delivery is free. 

Check out this article. It looks like the fees are lower when you spend more. So the whole incentive structure is to get you to eat more. Being almost 40 years old, I order fairly small portions. Because I have heard that you gain wait a lot easier as you hit 40. I usually try and spend under $8 USD for a meal. Plus it is fun to find the best deals. 

https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-and-household/cheapest-delivery-app-for-2023/

Ordering takeout or delivery is an easy habit to fall into. It's also an expensive one, but you can shave a little money off your monthly total by choosing the cheapest food delivery app. Food delivery apps are plentiful in 2023, but each has its own pricing, fees and other nuances that make some cheaper than others. As it turns out, how large or small an order you place might dictate which app is cheapest between the three biggest players: Grubhub, DoorDash and Uber Eats.

Grubhub is the cheapest for orders of around $50

For three food orders between $20 and $80, Grubhub had the cheapest average totals. For orders of around $50, it was the lowest cost by a healthy margin. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Just common sense. It is a fact. 

Ordering Big Macs to your door is like drinking hard liquor at 8 am. Sure, you can do it. But it is stupidity.  

Sausage and egg mcmuffin and a hash brown delivered for breakfast is just lush after a big night on the beers.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Low quality food delivered by low quality people to low quality consumers. 

Losers!

Fast food was intended to be when you are in travel. You drive through or stop for something to eat when time was tight. But now people are paying someone to deliver food to them so that they can sit on their behinds and gain more weight. Do you just leave the door unlocked so your grubby delivery guy can just hand it to you when you're on the couch ?

Fatty morons!

Plus now when I am in line at some fast food joint, I have to wait for these delivery idiots with their grubby bags to get out of the way. And they usually take big orders of food with them. There should be a diabetes tax when using these delivery apps. 

Vile peasants!

Ordering fast food to your door is terrible home economics. 

In all seriousness this is true.  Some large percent of Thai population has increased their food costs by 30% (+ inflation!) and shifted the money to a few large companies.

Maybe it's worth it for them but this is a prime example of how the rich get richer and poor get poorer.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, JayClay said:

You seem very adamant about this apparent rule. Where exactly is it stipulated that fast food should only be consumed when you are "on the road already"? Is it a legal thing? Or a religious issue perhaps?

It's a religious thing. As the lord said "Pick up thy food and walk." or was it bed.?????

I agree some drivers are dumb very dumb. The apps pay the drivers nothing the fee mostly goes to the company. However it's much better to have them bring your food or some small groceries. Then getting into your vehicle and having to drive through more dumb people.  

Edited by arick

17 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You're living in the past old pops. You also seem to be living in a fantasy land where everybody drives a car or rides a motorcycle. 

If I want, say a pizza or two whilst I watch a movie then why would I hump the BTS then walk for 15 minutes in the sauna that is Bangkok, pick up my pizza then head home via the same route?

Pizza will be cold by then and I'll be all hot and bothered. Waste of time and money when all I have to do is fire up Grab, choose priority delivery and the nice, polite delivery man or lady will get it to me piping hot (most of the time) and without all the mess and fuss. 

Also, calling the delivery guys grubby, well that's just sad man. They're just normal people trying to eke out a living. You're taking food off their table by not using them, or worse not leaving a tip.

Pizzas were being delivered way before any food app was born. That's the one food that gets a pass. The next thing you know there will be an app to hire a person to hand feed you as well because well it's just to much work putting hand to mouth and then someone to wash your a** after a good dump.

Where does the laziness end.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

This food delivery thing in Bkk is bigger than Amazon in the US.   We were sitting in the food court at Emquartier just below the escalators.   Every other person coming down or going up was a food delivery guy.   We live right on Sukhumvit, so we don't typically use these guys. 

*Please* don't trip over your sense of entitlement as you pass all those delivery folk working their way through college and/or supporting their families, on the way out of that restaurant whose staff and owner are grateful for the enhanced catchment area that helps them survive.. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

*Please* don't trip over your sense of entitlement as you pass all those delivery folk working their way through college and/or supporting their families, on the way out of that restaurant whose staff and owner are grateful for the enhanced catchment area that helps them survive.. 

It wasn't meant to be a dig at the delivery guys. But some of them could be criminals. And you are inviting these guys to your house because you really needed that Big Mac and large fries ?

And again, pizza is just different. Ordering pizza has always been seen as a nice indulgence and social experience. Usually it is being shared by a group of people. Whether that is family or friends. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Ordering pizza has always been seen as a nice indulgence and social experience. Usually it is being shared by a group of people. Whether that is family or friends. 

How is ordering a pizza any different that ordering a bucket of KFC? Some burgers & fries? So what if it's an order for 4 or and order for 1?

The level of self-righteousness of some here is a joke.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Fast food at the mall ? How is that not one of the most appropriate places for fast food ? You are away from your dwelling. And I indulge in it when I am at the mall. Plus it gives you the opportunity to walk a meal off.

You stated FF should only be 'on the road'.  So now 'on the road' is any time you are outside.

Delivery  has been around for decades.  Pizza, you concur with, but have you forgotten about all the other things that are or use to be delivered in days past.  Milk, dairy, eggs bread, beer.   Even the local grocer use to deliver.  

With today's congestion, petrol cost, 2 parents working, some not owning transport, or cost of using is a luxury, delivery simply makes sense.

On the road, yes, but at home or during your daily routine, at work, delivered instead of using your lunch time 30-60mins to get & wait for food prepped.

That some rely on delivery simply due to laziness, is their problem, but not everyone's.  Along with the many, who simply aren't mobile any more.

With many of the jobs being taken over by automated machinery, the employment force is slowly converting to service orientation.  Not only to the HiSo, but to all.

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Says who?   How do you know how mobile retired people are?

Well if you already have limited mobility, ordering double quarter pounders to your couch certainly isn't going to help.

No one has said that it would help but it is irrelevant as that wasn't what was being discussed in your "dumb apps" OP.   

2 hours ago, bbko said:

How is ordering a pizza any different that ordering a bucket of KFC? Some burgers & fries? So what if it's an order for 4 or and order for 1?

The level of self-righteousness of some here is a joke.

Pizza is different because you order the pizza and have to wait for your pizza to be baked. Fast food burgers are made on an assembly line and a pre made and meant to be served asap. And I also said that there's a social aspect to pizza that doesn't exist with burgers and fries. 

I cant see how ordering Mcdonalds to your door is anything but  laziness of the worst kind. You presumably have a stove and/or a microwave at home. You should have a stock of food at home. If you don't feel like making anything, throw a Mac N cheese cup in the microwave. Or a Stouffer crustini in the microwave. The technology has improved with these things. They come out of the microwave crispy. Its not a sloppy hot mess like a pizza pop from 2001. There is lots of different products like this that you should have a stock of for those times when you don't feel like making something. It is right there. It is cheaper , faster and you aren't paying someone to bring it to you. Home economics 101.

00043695060331_A1C1%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the ops argument at all. Where I live in the countryside, we can order from any place around the area, like expensive restaurants or from the food vendor on the corner with his 4-wheeled trolley selling kao-pat-tai and kao-man-gai or whatever.  There are Pizza company and Pizza Hut and many other. The delivery service does not deliver food from fast food joints, which does not have any meaning in Thailand really. The food is cooked with one speed only, both in the restaurants and the street corner, not very fast, but not too slow either. These are not fast food joints, they sell food, that's all. The little exercise obtained by going out to get your own food is not sufficient to bother, take a 10k jog before dinner. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just ring the restaurants I like, they deliver for me, D-save also deliver my beer and in the hours that normally you can't buy alcohol+ anything else they sell, ah village/country life. now back to my view, listen to the birds, and watch the butterflies. You can stick apps where the sun don't shine.