Public support for new Brexit referendum revealed

Social Media

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As usual, Starmer says he has a plan but gives no details. He must be confused.

Still adamant he won't seek to rejoin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Failing? The figures you've been quoting for ages have been revised. Didn't you get the memo? Or more likely you saw it and are still gaslighting...

https://www.ft.com/content/50386cc2-003b-4af1-946b-cf3243da810f

image.png.660394a19b2b16646264362763eec552.png

The very same article also contains the following:

that the ONS had previously revised 2020 GDP down by 1.7 percentage points in changes last year.

So effectively no change to the estimates published at the beginning of 2022. 

Moreover, this revision was not due to an increase in consumer demand, but to companies not running down stock levels as much as previously thought.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Failing? The figures you've been quoting for ages have been revised. Didn't you get the memo? Or more likely you saw it and are still gaslighting...

Starmer and his self loathing chums at Labour hate the UK. That's why they are so desperate to rejoin the EU and will do anything to achieve it, including destroying the country.

Look forward to the election as much as you like, only us Brits can vote, not the Brit hating American Democrats  (thankfully).

The majority public opinion isn’t in agree with your view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The majority public opinion isn’t in agree with your view.

Where's the new vote result........?

What were you saying from across the pond about Boris, you were trounced by his election trouncing of you chums...............???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Then obviously nothing for BREXITEERS and those hoping for a Tory victory at the next election to worry about.

You are correct, Starmer will not seek to rejoin in the next electoral cycle, who ever said he would.

The UK will rejoin the EU when there is cross party agreement, which will follow public opinion.

The EU will not engage in rejoin discussion with the UK until the Tory Party ride itself of the xenophobic nationalist zealots that have been in control since the BREXIT vote.

Starmer will negotiate a better BREXIT deal and re-demonstrate the benefits of the EU.

The rest will follow with Public Opinion.

When will al this happen? It's about time we witnessed that rare beast. A bit of lefty foresight.

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

Finally. Finally you agree that brexit cannot be deemed a failure as it's not finished. Or did you not acknowledge that bit because you don't like it?

When did I agree BREXIT isn’t a failure?

Oh, you are dreaming up points of view on my behalf again.

BREXIT is a clear failure, and continues to damage the UK, the UK economy and the position of the UK on the world political and diplomatic stage.

Refer examples given in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

BREXIT is a clear failure, and continues to damage the UK, the UK economy and the position of the UK on the world political and diplomatic stage.

Aren't you lucky not to have outside controls in your country....:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

When will al this happen? It's about time we witnessed that rare beast. A bit of lefty foresight.

You seem to have forgotten it’s you who last had the crystal ball.

Here’s a sign though.

Recent moves by the UK Government towards the EU, starting with the Windsor Agreement and lately rejoining the EU Horizon project (at cost of £Billions) have had near zero response from the ERG and other BREXIT zealots.

BREXIT has passed its zenith.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who said there was?

Don’t fret, if public opinion hasn’t moved against BREXIT you’ve nothing to worry about.

So without a referendum, how do you know what the public thinks?

Oh that's right, you have no idea... ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a sign though.

Recent moves by the UK Government towards the EU, starting with the Windsor Agreement and lately rejoining the EU Horizon project (at cost of £Billions) have had near zero response from the ERG and other BREXIT zealots.

But not paying Billions in projects that the UK had no interest in

The UK’s association deal is also financially very different from when it was a member of the EU. Then, its contribution to the research programmes were based on the size of its economy, without clawback mechanisms.

That meant it was a big net winner from the Framework programmes because UK scientists were so successful. That needs to be viewed in the context that overall the UK was a net contributor to the EU budget, and as a member of the union could not pick and choose which programmes to join.

https://sciencebusiness.net/news/brexit/how-uk-and-eu-did-deal-over-horizon-europe

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Starmer and his self loathing chums at Labour hate the UK. That's why they are so desperate to rejoin the EU and will do anything to achieve it, including destroying the country.

Look forward to the election as much as you like, only us Brits can vote, not the Brit hating American Democrats  (thankfully).

What is so difficult for you to understand? The ONS changed the calculation method by applying the SUT framework. The previous numbers were initially calculated with the "old" method (as well as GDP numbers from other G7 countries to which UK GDP growth was compared). 

Applying the SUT framework leads to increased GDP numbers. Other countries have not implemented this framework as UK did (it's time-consuming and requires significant resources). When other countries will apply it fully, it is likely that their GDP numbers will be also be increased, and that the gap between UK and other G7 or the Eurozone will remain at a similar level.

Explanations about the new calculation method here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/articles/impactofbluebook2023changesongrossdomesticproduct/2023-09-01

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

But not paying Billions in projects that the UK had no interest in

The UK’s association deal is also financially very different from when it was a member of the EU. Then, its contribution to the research programmes were based on the size of its economy, without clawback mechanisms.

That meant it was a big net winner from the Framework programmes because UK scientists were so successful. That needs to be viewed in the context that overall the UK was a net contributor to the EU budget, and as a member of the union could not pick and choose which programmes to join.

https://sciencebusiness.net/news/brexit/how-uk-and-eu-did-deal-over-horizon-europe

Nevertheless, an example of an EU benefit and a reversal of Government policy.

To the sound of silence from the ERG and other BREXIT zealots.

And of course if it were always such a good scheme, why leave HORIZON in the first place?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And of course if it were always such a good scheme, why leave HORIZON in the first place?

The UK left when the UK left the EU

And there are many countries that  are  Participating Countries in Horizon Europe

and they are not members of the EU 

Being in the Horizon Europe doesn't require EU membership

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You referred to the OP. Have a look at the figures.

57 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a sign though.

Please, just for once, answer the questions. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I yet to meet a single person that has said to me I am worried about the the position of the UK on the world political and diplomatic stage before or after Brexit

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Please, just for once, answer the questions. Thanks.

Let's take a look at your question once more:

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

So you want me to predict the future, you want a date. perhaps a time of day. as you yourself say 'A bit of lefty foresight',

Maybe  you should  ask questions that don't rely on time travel. 

Alternatively you could challenge my point of view by addressing the points I have made. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think I knew that Vinny.

The above post indicates that you didn't as you wouldn't have ask the question why  leave HORIZON in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I yet to meet a single person that has said to me I am worried about the the position of the UK on the world political and diplomatic stage before or after Brexit

That's fair enough and imo unsurprisingly. I would probably go further and add that for those Brits who live in the UK, work for companies with little overseas exposure and visit the continent occasionally, the only things that they are likely to notice about Brexit is a delay to immigration and customs procedures at the ports plus, perhaps, an increase in the cost of some EU produce.

However, for those Brits who lived/ live and/or do business in EU countries, it's a different story. Most things for these groups are a lot more difficult post-Brexit and for what benefit?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

That's fair enough and imo unsurprisingly. I would probably go further and add that for those Brits who live in the UK, work for companies with little overseas exposure and visit the continent occasionally, the only things that they are likely to notice about Brexit is a delay to immigration and customs procedures at the ports plus, perhaps, an increase in the cost of some EU produce.

However, for those Brits who lived/ live and/or do business in EU countries, it's a different story. Most things for these groups are a lot more difficult post-Brexit and for what benefit?

Not being controlled by others, sounds good to me, lest we forget.....????

• Haha 1