Agent bank account and retirement - legit or...

15 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Legit means legal and doable where I come from. The agent offered me two options- one open bank account and reentry for 8000 the in which case I would have to go back to America and transfer the 800000 thb. Then I would have to go to immigration with the proof on reentry (therefore needing a new visa) other option was everything done in one day and I have one year visa. I prefer to pay the money and be done with the hassle. For those posters helping me with intelligent insight - thanks. 

If you go down this route then you need to be aware of the implications of what you're doing. If you don't understand the nuances then maybe it's not for you, or maybe you need to read some of the dozens of old threads on this subject. 

As @DrJack54said, sounds like TVC. They usually send your passport upcountry for the stamps so that should give you a little insight in to how it all works.

PS. I'm not against the use of agents so don't lump me in with the resident morality police ????

PPS. Could using Wise to transfer the ฿800k get around the need to return to the USA to initiate the funds transfer?

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
legit

ADJECTIVE
  1. conforming to the rules; legal:

So it isn't legit ever.

The extension of stay received through the agent without the 800k in the bank and stamped by an authorized IMM official is legit for immigrration and any other purpose -- until it isn't.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Time people realised the agent doesn't deposit 800k in bank and then draw it out anymore.

You don't use an agent so how would you know what they do?

Edited by Lemsta69

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You don't use an agent so how would you know what they do?

I have 3 friends that use an agent and all 3 said they received a bank letter in Thai saying they had 800k in bank for 3 months, when they didn't so I'm pretty sure what agents do

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

PS. I'm not against the use of agents so don't lump me in with the resident morality police ????

I will admit to being a bit of that. Around 2012 or so after about 5 years on extension via retirement, I told folks at my neighbors that I had just come back from Bangkok and getting an income letter at the US Embassy and then going to Suan Phlu for an extension.

Several of them looked at me like I was the dumbest thing that ever walked and one haughtily said " Oh -- I just use an agent".

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Maybe yours does it that way, but the rest deposit the money! 

But immigration law requires 800k in bank for 2 months prior to issue of 12 month extension to non-imm O, how do they do that if agent transfer in and out 800k same day...fake Bangkok Bank letter fixes that anomaly 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

I have an appointment in Bangkok next week with agent and bank. Agent is procuring me a Thai bank account then taking me to immigration for a one year retirement visa- 35000 baht for entire process. Legit?

Sounds about right for Bangkok, 35k for the Non O plus the 12 months retirement ( 15 months ) without having the 800k in Thailand. Get your money over here for the next time and do it yourself for 1900 baht. 

3 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Sounds about right for Bangkok, 35k for the Non O plus the 12 months retirement ( 15 months ) without having the 800k in Thailand. Get your money over here for the next time and do it yourself for 1900 baht. 

But he already has a non-imm O

20 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
legit

ADJECTIVE
  1. conforming to the rules; legal:

So it isn't legit ever.
    27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Do not follow some of your posts. 

Why on earth would you need to go back to USA to transfer money.

Internet banking and WISE (popular currency transfer) .

Bit late but if you can afford to place 800k in bank you could have done it easily by yourself.

Yes agent for bank account good idea. About 5.5k baht.

BTW in another post you suggest that it's easy to open bank account. No

You should have asked for advice earlier. 

How many days is remaining on you 90 day entry stamp

Did not suggest anything in an earlier post about the ease of opening a bank account. Can not access my American bank account from Thailand because my American bank account requires a text verification for transfer of funds my American phone number does not work in Thailand. If I walk out of immigration with a legit one year extension then I believe it is worth the 35000 thb

17 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I have 3 friends that use an agent and all 3 said they received a bank letter in Thai saying they had 800k in bank for 3 months, when they didn't so I'm pretty sure what agents do

If money not in the bank at all then definitely not legit, maybe fake docs used. Usually money in and out same day, legit, only Bangkok Bank do now

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

But he already has a non-imm O

Yeah I see that now, 35k a little steep then I reckon even without the funds in Thailand, thats where the 'catch cost' is when not keeping a chunk of change in a Thai bank....... 

2 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

for how long?

until staff turn-around move the bank person elsewhere, can't believe it is bank policy.

of course it's a big risk, Kasikorn already stopped doing it if Bangkok Bank stop, 1000s of farang will be screwed, i would not be surprised if in the next few years, but it could go the other way TiT

Edited by scubascuba3

20 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So ALL agents do it that way? Yeah right. "My friend" just hands over his passport and ฿12,500 and Bob's your uncle. 

Just like not being asked for an onward ticket at BNE, your experience is not universal.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Time people realised the agent doesn't deposit 800k in bank and then draw it out anymore. Bangkok Bank takes a bribe to issue a false letter stating 800k in bank for 3 months. So not immigration fraud, but bank fraud

23 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I always have to show 1year Bank statement and Book as well as the Bank letter.

How does that work with only having Letter and no bank book. ?

14 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

How long does the money have to be In the account for the next time? TIA

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

if course it's a big risk, Kasikorn already stopped doing it if Bangkok Bank stop, 1000s of farang will be screwed, i would not be surprised if in the next few years, but it could go the other way TiT

Yes it's a very big risk and one that I reckon a lot of geezers won't be able to recover from. If it does go South then luckily "my friend" has enough readies to flee to Cambodia ????

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If money not in the bank at all then definitely not legit, maybe fake docs used. Usually money in and out same day, legit, only Bangkok Bank do now

How is in and out same day legit? It's needed in bank for 2 months prior to 12 month extension