Mukdahan parking

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Savanakhet next week to get a NON O, I will bring my family with me, we are living in Rayong now. So I hesitate to go by bus or car, it's a bit cheaper by car and more convenient. I'm just worried about the parking.

Is it safe to park at the Mukdahan friendship bridge parking lot? I read it's 250 bahts per day, do they have security?

I could also pay a hotel just for the car but I wonder if it's safer anyway.

Anyone that use to go there by car?

I have been there by car a few times. Very expensive car park but never had an issue. There are usually a few ladies at the car park full time because you pay on leaving so they won't want to miss the hefty parking fees. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Savanakhet next week to get a NON O, I will bring my family with me, we are living in Rayong now. So I hesitate to go by bus or car, it's a bit cheaper by car and more convenient. I'm just worried about the parking.

Is it safe to park at the Mukdahan friendship bridge parking lot? I read it's 250 bahts per day, do they have security?

I could also pay a hotel just for the car but I wonder if it's safer anyway.

Anyone that use to go there by car?

Cars are safe at the parking there with cameras and plenty of officials and security. I live nearby in Kalasin ( one hour away) and we have taken visitors there on many occasions with no issues and parked my car, which is a new Legender.

So unless you're bringing a Bentley Turbo or the Rolls, I can't see an issue.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, that free car park is often full and the parking spaces are tight. I'd rather pay the 'massive rip-off' fee of 250. Seriously, if paying 250 is a problem for anyone then it is they who have a problem. But each to their own.

Someone wrote that you pay on leaving. My memory is that you pay on arrival, but I might be wrong. I wouldn't say it's secure as the people who collect the cash don't know and don't care who owns what, but it's under cover and out of the sun and rain.

Evidently not a follower of Warren Buffett.

13 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Someone wrote that you pay on leaving. My memory is that you pay on arrival, but I might be wrong.

Further thought is that you collect a ticket showing the date and time when you arrive and then pay on leaving once the fee has been totted up. 

Thank you very much for all your answers, I don't mind much the price as long as my car is safe. I'm quite careful, my wife got scammed by her Thai boyfriend, long story but she bought a new car on credit and then gave him the keys for him to use it for his coconut business and she never got it back, no proof, finance can't find it as well and believe he probably sold it in small parts to Cambodia. So I'm thinking that if it's that easy I better keep a close eye on my car, unlike her I suppose I could go straight to the police and use the assurance but she believes that it's very hard to near impossible to get back the money from the insurance, don't know if it's true, I will check later but it made me a bit paranoid.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Cars are safe at the parking there with cameras and plenty of officials and security. I live nearby in Kalasin ( one hour away) and we have taken visitors there on many occasions with no issues and parked my car, which is a new Legender.

So unless you're bringing a Bentley Turbo or the Rolls, I can't see an issue.

That's a good new, it's just a Toyota Revo 2019 double cab with carry boy, nothing special (but I really love it), thieves will probably have their eyes on something more interesting.

4 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

That's a good new, it's just a Toyota Revo 2019 double cab with carry boy, nothing special (but I really love it), thieves will probably have their eyes on something more interesting.

I think it is more likely that they steal your wife than the car.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bigz said:

I have been there by car a few times. Very expensive car park but never had an issue. There are usually a few ladies at the car park full time because you pay on leaving so they won't want to miss the hefty parking fees. 

Very expensive, it's only 250baht.....

7 hours ago, Bigz said:

You pay when you arrive, after telling them how many nights. On return, they want your receipt to check up if you over stayed.......????

250bht per night....????

12 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Very expensive, it's only 250baht.....

It is expensive indeed. At some other crossings you pay half of that for overnight parking. Also a hotel room in Savanakhet costs less than that ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bigz said:

It is expensive indeed. At some other crossings you pay half of that for overnight parking. Also a hotel room in Savanakhet costs less than that ????

Riiiiiight, a bit over a fiver for undercover attendant parking per night...........

Your 'avin a laugh, chap......:unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

God, you must hate the 50 baht bus fee over the bridge!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bigz said:

It is probably the most expensive car park in Isaan though. They charge nearly a Thai daily minimum wage for a day's parking..

That was my point but of course not expensive for most farangs. They are running a very lucrative racket there. Understand now?

No..............????

11 hours ago, Bigz said:

It is probably the most expensive car park in Isaan though. They charge nearly a Thai daily minimum wage for a day's parking..

That was my point but of course not expensive for most farangs. They are running a very lucrative racket there. Understand now?

If you are that cheap you could also decide to park somewhere for free and then take the effort to walk in the sun for 15 minutes, to get a 50 baht tuk tuk to the last few hundred meters. 

It is so funny how 'customers' aways have their opinions, when they not like the price for an actual 'service', that they do not deserve by default in any way possible.

Perhaps you have a different opinion but it is long proven that capitalism is the best system.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I did it a different way stayed in a hotel near bus station for a night and they let me keep my car there undercover while I was in Laos and got the bus from there all for the price of one nights stay

• Like 1