Cancer Treatment in Bangkok

dddave

A friend has lung cancer.  He hopes to finish out his days in Thailand. 

I understand Government hospitals often concentrate treatment for different conditions in different hospitals. 

A friend who recently had a stroke was taken to Lerdsin Hospital, near Sephan Taksin.  I had never heard of this hospital but it turns out, it has a specific department for the treatment of strokes and his treatment there has been excellent.

Is there a specific Bangkok Government hospital that concentrates on Lung Cancer or Cancers in General?

If your friend has free medical treatment at home perhaps best to continue as drugs can be expensive for cancer here - even in government hospitals.   Know one person on preventative therapy for another cancer and bill is about 4 million baht for a year monthly outpatient treatment at a government hospital.  But yes there are specialized hospitals available - someone will be able to name.

For treatment perhaps India would be a good option if money is an issue.

It would help to know more about your  friend's cnollondition and what he is looking for.  

What stage is his cancer?Are we talking about chemotherapy/ radiation therapy? Or just palliative care? Makes a huge difference.

And lastly doees he have a lot of money? As this will run to quite a bit. Millionns of baht if chemo/radiation  and even palliative card can run far into the 6 figures. 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It would help to know more about your  friend's cnollondition and what he is looking for.  

What stage is his cancer?Are we talking about chemotherapy/ radiation therapy? Or just palliative care? Makes a huge difference.

And lastly doees he have a lot of money? As this will run to quite a bit. Millionns of baht if chemo/radiation  and even palliative card can run far into the 6 figures. 

Hello Sheryl.

I believe my friend is in stage 4.  He has been receiving treatment in both Bangkok (Bangkok Christian Hosp.) and the US for the last 3 years.  He was able to renew his Thai Insurance last year but doubts that he will be successful this year.   I believe he is only looking for maintenance care: periodic fluid drainage from lungs and appropriate medication and not aggressive procedures such as radiation or chemo.   He has funds but not unlimited.

10 hours ago, dddave said:

Hello Sheryl.

I believe my friend is in stage 4.  He has been receiving treatment in both Bangkok (Bangkok Christian Hosp.) and the US for the last 3 years.  He was able to renew his Thai Insurance last year but doubts that he will be successful this year.   I believe he is only looking for maintenance care: periodic fluid drainage from lungs and appropriate medication and not aggressive procedures such as radiation or chemo.   He has funds but not unlimited.

This is still going to be expensive and he needs also to consider that palliative care here is not as well developed as in the West. Frankly think he should reconsider this.

As for your original question, there are a number of specialized government cancer hospitals but he is in for crowds, long waits, limited or no explanation from doctors, and quite possibly difficulty in getting his wishes about care honored. The norm is just to continue treating  (with no patient input) and simply "tell" the patient what to do.

In Bangkok, government cancer centers are:

Chulabhorn Hospital (website seems not working)

National Cancer Institute  https://www.nci.go.th/th/New_web/index.html

Chulalongkorn Hospital Cancer center  https://chulalongkornhospital.go.th/kcmh/en/ec/ศูนย์ความเป็นเลิศทางก-17/

Of these, Chulabhorn likely to be less crowded/easier to deal with

Personally I would suggest he get care at St Louis Hospital as they have an unusually good palliative care service including a special wing of the hospital for end of life care, are mid-range in price and will be much more patient-centered in approach. But it will cost. Even the government hospitals, will cost.

Does he have a strong support system here in Thailand that is lacking in US? Certainly there is better hospice care in US than in Thailand so a better support system would be the only reason I can see why the move might make sense. And remember that family and friends will have to provide all the nursing care if he uses government hospital so need to be sure he has enough people willing and able to do this.

• Thanks 1