Emirates shenanigans

BenStark

@richard_smith237

Gold with Qatar.

I am on the A380 beginning September (6th) both legs BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK (20th)

I have chosen front cabin exit row seat downstairs outbound and upper deck cabin exit row seat for return. Both free on Gold card.

In the ECO on A380, Would you go downstairs smaller front cabin or upper deck cabin?

I've upgraded to business on DOH-MAN with Qcredits, so another good run and I am trying to upgrade the MAN-DOH return in business on my AVIOS.

Website can't help at moment and advises to check with staff at airport or DO i wait for my app to offer something for the return flight once in the UK?

Edited by Scouse123

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

@richard_smith237

Gold with Qatar.

I am on the A380 beginning September (6th) both legs BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK (20th)

I have chosen front cabin exit row seat downstairs outbound and upper deck cabin exit row seat for return. Both free on Gold card.

In the ECO on A380, Would you go downstairs smaller front cabin or upper deck cabin?

I've upgraded to business on DOH-MAN with Qcredits, so another good run and I am trying to upgrade the MAN-DOH return in business on my AVIOS.

Website can't help at moment and advises to check with staff at airport or DO i wait for my app to offer something for the return flight once in the UK?

A) - upstairs cabin is often quieter with more frequent flyers who know how to behave in a flight.

B) Qatar website is somewhat awkward regarding upgrades. 
Depending on your ticketing class, AVIOS & Cash upgrades may be available a few days before the flight, sometimes less than 24 hrs.

You’ll need to keep checking the App (or website to see what pops up).

Upgrading with Emirates is a far simpler process. 

Additionally, to complicate matters I read somewhere that Qatar are moving away from AVIOS (or did I imagine that?).

I just moved all my AVIOS to British airways to pay for a flight three of (within Europe at Christmas) & excess baggage - moving miles to a partner is also an option sometimes.

Equivalent EasyJet travel was about £600…. Cost of BA + Miles was £135. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BenStark said:

even think it will be difficult to sleep, unless you skip the meals. Flights are too short for that.

Indeed… I used to travel back to Bkk from Qatar having been up since 4am. 
2am flight. Paid for an upgrade.

Got in the flight… told the FA’s wake me as late as possible with a cup of coffee, no meals.

Bed flat & slept as soon as seatbelt sign went off….  Managed about 5 hours sleep (with the aid of a sleeping tablet ????)..,

last year the upgrades were reasonable… often less than 20,000 baht.

This year they are over 35,000 baht & somewhat unjustifiable, so I took exit row (legroom) & numb bum option! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A) - upstairs cabin is often quieter with more frequent flyers who know how to behave in a flight.

B) Qatar website is somewhat awkward regarding upgrades. 
Depending on your ticketing class, AVIOS & Cash upgrades may be available a few days before the flight, sometimes less than 24 hrs.

You’ll need to keep checking the App (or website to see what pops up).

Upgrading with Emirates is a far simpler process. 

Additionally, to complicate matters I read somewhere that Qatar are moving away from AVIOS (or did I imagine that?).

I just moved all my AVIOS to British airways to pay for a flight three of (within Europe at Christmas) & excess baggage - moving miles to a partner is also an option sometimes.

Equivalent EasyJet travel was about £600…. Cost of BA + Miles was £135. 

I'd be surprised if Qatar was moving away from Avios as they have only just got going with them.

I had the downstairs front cabin before, which is smaller, and found it OK. spacious enough and seats were adequate for comfort.

I was upstairs before but it was years ago. I'll give it another go and I've got the meet and greet at Doha, so it should all be bearable.

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I'd be surprised if Qatar was moving away from Avios as they have only just got going with them.

It could be some adjustment somewhere….. Q-Points / Q-Miles / AVIOS etc all gets a bit confusing (perhaps it was a move from Q-Points to AVIOS that I read). 

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I had the downstairs front cabin before, which is smaller, and found it OK. spacious enough and seats were adequate for comfort.

I was upstairs before but it was years ago. I'll give it another go and I've got the meet and greet at Doha, so it should all be bearable.

Depends on layout I guess - the ‘smaller’ Eco cabin is usually comes at a higher ‘seat selection cost’ depending on fare class & of course frequent flyer status.

Its always ‘hit n miss’ anyway can get lucky with a quieter flight, could have a family a spilt kids behind you.

Last flight was amusing…. I. Repeatedly telling her kids to behave ‘mum’ was more disruptive to the cabin than the children who were no angels & ultimately ended up knocking ‘mums’ wine all over her !!!

not a group if want to be near…

We were few rows away, son & I chilling playing FIFA on the switch. 

On boarding (full flight) another family wanted to sit in our seats which would have separated my Wife, Son & I. They wouldn’t move, we had to get the flight attendants involves to regain our booked seats to sit together as a family. 

Eco - the only option is to chill & accept its just shi#ier with more ppl who just don’t know how to travel !!! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I've been Gold with emirates for over 15 years ( unfortunately never quite make Platinum ) but they're Biz class is excellent.

You'll get lounge access at the origin airport and i believe you'll get pick up service from airport to house / hotel at destination so long as it's within an hour of the airport.

If someone else is paying it's a no brainer.

You'll get, i think it's 42kg checked in baggage if that's you're jive and fast track immigration lines.

Some comments if I may - I was also gold with EK for a few years until Covid.

of course if you don't pay, no brainer as you say. However:

-lie flat not true, almost. but more importantly, they are short so tall persons cannot really sleep well, besides they are also too narrow. Unless you are a sound sleeper, anyway, no chance to sleep on a 5-6 h from BKK to DBX with all take-off, landing, announcements, meals.

-that was on the A380 only. on the Boeing they are regular BC seats, and the service is also less than great.

-what did it for me in the end was the atrocious stop in Dubai, middle of the night, km to walk from your gate to the lounge, invariably full.

-pick up from home maybe if you start from BKK. If you come on a connecting TG flight or such, not.

-42kg... which frequent traveller uses that? and again, what about connecting flights.

-BKK has fast track imm for all BC travellers regardless of airline

Also slight annoying, when I was in Economy, to see that their staff flying to their vacations for free would get 3 seats whiile Gold do not even get 2, and all the attention from the staff while you can die waiting for a coke.

This said, not a bad company at all. About OP, it's marketing, sorry, normal practice.

Edit: for those who value comfort and don't like to spend too much, some airlines offer premium economy on some routes, no special service on the ground  but good leg room.

Edited by arithai12

9 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

-lie flat not true, almost. but more importantly, they are short so tall persons cannot really sleep well, besides they are also too narrow. Unless you are a sound sleeper, anyway, no chance to sleep on a 5-6 h from BKK to DBX with all take-off, landing, announcements, meals.

-that was on the A380 only. on the Boeing they are regular BC seats, and the service is also less than great.

-what did it for me in the end was the atrocious stop in Dubai, middle of the night, km to walk from your gate to the lounge, invariably full.

Good points..

- All Bkk legs have been lie flat (180 deg) in my experience. 

- Some routes may use older cabins, but I’ve not seen the ‘reclined’ Emirates business class for a long time. 

Qatar Q-Suites top the lot, but they are not available on every route. 

- As you wrote, lie flat seats are a little short fir a tall person. I’m 182cm, head & toes touching, I’d have to sleep on my side with legs bent. 

- & also as you commented, lots of announcements. I think Emirate make more announcements than any other airline!  

- A direct route is always a better option in Business Class… (especially on lie flat beds), but then the price is another level higher. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This year they are over 35,000 baht & somewhat unjustifiable, so I took exit row (legroom) & numb bum option! 

Yes Bangkok > Dubai is 21.xxx in the promotion, and second leg is 36.xxx, total 58.000 without any perks.

You can also only select 1 leg under the promotion offer.

Upgrade for the entire flight is 49.000 if you go through manage your booking, so 9000 baht less, and you get all the perks.

It's beyond my imagination how they dare to call it a promotion when actually they charge more than regular price.

19 hours ago, BenStark said:

I booked an economy flight with Emirates, I checked yesterday on the website how much it would be to upgrade to business from Bangkok to end destination and it said 42.000 baht.

Today I received an email that I was "selected" for an upgrade at promotional price, but I have to be fast to accept of course./

Bangkok to Dubai 26462 Baht, and Dubai to end destination 31754 baht, total for the whole flight = 58216 baht.

The promotion will not give me access to business lounge, extra luggage or extra miles.

So I checked again through manage my booking, and now the price for upgrading the total flight is 49000 baht, 7000 more than yesterday, but still 9000 baht less than the "promotional" price, and with all benefits included.

I guess I must be missing something?

A possible explanation:

Every class (first\business\economy) is divided to subclasses. Each subclass has a different price and different conditions for the ticket. So in your case the offer on the website might use a lower subclass (and probably the difference between the 1st and the 2nd time you checked were based on different subclass due to availability), and the promotion offer is based on a higher booking subclass.

49 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yes Bangkok > Dubai is 21.xxx in the promotion, and second leg is 36.xxx, total 58.000 without any perks.

You can also only select 1 leg under the promotion offer.

You may or may not get another ‘you’ve been selected’ email for a promo upgrade for the other leg depending on how busy the flight is etc. 

49 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Upgrade for the entire flight is 49.000 if you go through manage your booking, so 9000 baht less, and you get all the perks.

It's beyond my imagination how they dare to call it a promotion when actually they charge more than regular price.

That is Odd…. Glitch in the matrix ! 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed… I used to travel back to Bkk from Qatar having been up since 4am. 
2am flight. Paid for an upgrade.

Got in the flight… told the FA’s wake me as late as possible with a cup of coffee, no meals.

Bed flat & slept as soon as seatbelt sign went off….  Managed about 5 hours sleep (with the aid of a sleeping tablet ????)..,

I’m flying Qatar from U.K. via Doha then Phuket. 

I’m ok with economy for the first leg, but what’s the best way to book business class for the Doha Phuket leg? Wait for a possible offer from Qatar for that leg a few days before departure , or book it at time of booking on Qatar website? 

Also, if you do book just that leg, do you get lounge access at Doha before boarding the flight to Phuket?  

thanks for any help. 

20 hours ago, BenStark said:

I booked an economy flight with Emirates, I checked yesterday on the website how much it would be to upgrade to business from Bangkok to end destination and it said 42.000 baht.

Today I received an email that I was "selected" for an upgrade at promotional price, but I have to be fast to accept of course./

Bangkok to Dubai 26462 Baht, and Dubai to end destination 31754 baht, total for the whole flight = 58216 baht.

The promotion will not give me access to business lounge, extra luggage or extra miles.

So I checked again through manage my booking, and now the price for upgrading the total flight is 49000 baht, 7000 more than yesterday, but still 9000 baht less than the "promotional" price, and with all benefits included.

I guess I must be missing something?

Nope, it’s just Emirates being Emirates. I was loyal to them for 10 years, but it’s a one way loyalty and having watched the standard of service drop through the floor my loyalty is gone.

57 minutes ago, sureno said:

I’m flying Qatar from U.K. via Doha then Phuket. 

I’m ok with economy for the first leg, but what’s the best way to book business class for the Doha Phuket leg? Wait for a possible offer from Qatar for that leg a few days before departure , or book it at time of booking on Qatar website? 

Also, if you do book just that leg, do you get lounge access at Doha before boarding the flight to Phuket?  

thanks for any help. 

You can book economy and keep waiting for the possible upgrade option (usually a day or two before the flight)... but thats a risk IF you really want to travel business, there may be no offer at all (depends on the specific ticket class off course and how full the flight is).

The price also varies....  I've had upgrades from Doha to Bangkok from as little as 14,000 baht (last year)... but this year the upgrade has been over 35,000 baht (which I found not worth it and chose the numb-bum & exit row option).

The Promo upgrades with QR are seat only (no lounge access etc).

Thus: IF definitely want business on the DOH-HKT leg... book it at time of booking. 

Or, if you don't mind too much, hedge your bets and see what you are offered (given that its likely to be around 35,000 baht (based on recent experience, but could well be different).

I know that with Emirates you can book 'split tier travel' (i.e. Eco for one leg, then Business for the next')... But the QR Website is not as user friendly and I'm don't think that booking a 'split tier travel' is possible.

You may be able to book the split tier travel over the phone.... And if thats successful 'business class loungers' are always linked to he onward flight.

(i.e. IF flying UK-DOH in Eco and onward from DOH-HKT in business, you can use the lounge in Doha).

I've never once used the Lounge in Doha...its always been way too busy. 

Once - QR pushed my onward connection back from a 1.5 hr layover to an 8 hour layover... I only found out when trying to upgrade... rather than using the lounge I used the 'sleep n fly' pods (https://sleep-n-fly.com/airports-doh - also available in Dubai)

image.png

16 hours ago, BenStark said:

So anyone familiar with this process with Emirates specifically?

If I don't take up their offer, what are the chances that I can get the upgrade at a lower rate at the check in desk?

Please only personal experiences. Take note, this is first time I fly with Emirates, so I have no miles yet.

Be careful with Emirates. They bumped me off a pre-booked business class seat down to economy in DBX, due to 'overbooking'. Vowed never to fly with them again.

1 minute ago, roquefort said:

Be careful with Emirates. They bumped me off a pre-booked business class seat down to economy in DBX, due to 'overbooking'. Vowed never to fly with them again.

Shocker...  What did you get in the way of compensation ???

EU Law 261/2004 you should have received compensation to the amount of 75% of the total fare paid.

Thus, IF I'm not mistaken and for example you paid £3500 for business class travel. return ticket..  you should have received £2625 in compensation and still flown 3 of the other legs in business class. 

Wife & Son, travelling from UK with Emirates (Eco) and were delayed <4 hrs &... missed their connection... had to stay in a hotel in Dubai.

Received £520 each as compensation (EU law states UE600 per seat - delayed flights <4 hrs / flights ticketed to or from Europe, ticketed travel more than 3500 km)

With Air-travel s#it can happen, especially when taking a connection - but some airlines handle it better than others.

• Haha 1

Wow moaning about business cabin upgrade .........because a bit more higher price 555,

that extra 30k baht to upgrade for a 6-8 hour flight, is equivalent to an average thai person salary for 2 months. 

Btw economy package on both emirates and qatar is a great product

Thinking you need business cabin is so stupid unless you really really need to sleep for something for example or just want to try it for the novelty.

Lets see .....What do you really get

-A bit better food

-A bit better TV screen

30k extra+ All for a 6-8 hour flight. Can you really say its worth 100 pounds an hour to have some better food.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Seatguru has not been updated since before Covid?

Anyway, last June I flew economy LHR-DXB in a 380 and then DXB-BKK in a 777, with the reverse on the return two mnths later - the 380 was far more roomy and comfortable.

Airbus A380 knocks spots off the Boeing 777. A disappointment when one of the legs usually Dubai to Bangkok is not in an A380, especially if there first leg out to Dubai was ilan A380.

18 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

Airbus A380 knocks spots off the Boeing 777. A disappointment when one of the legs usually Dubai to Bangkok is not in an A380, especially if there first leg out to Dubai was ilan A380.

Yes indeed - another reason to abandon my previos loyalty to Thai Airways - all tatty cramped Boeings these days on the LHR-BKK flight that vibrate and sound like they're falling to pieces, especially on take-off.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

Please elaborate on that, as I have never used Emirates

Exclude the lounge, as with 90 minutes between both flights, you don't make it to the lounge

Your second flight is not necessarily 90 mins. Lounges are also great when you are departing a country , especially if you arrive early for your flight. Emirates has many desks open long before in most country’s . Just travelled With Swiss Air business Bangkok to Nice via Zurich. The layover was 3 hrs, so I got a nice meal and drinks.  When an airline offers you an upgrade, the price depends of how close your flight date is, or vice versa. Also I like the free pick up to your home in a nice car, ( depending on distance , less hassle. Then also, you get better food and drinks with business, Altho I must say Emirates is not as good as it was. Hence my flight with Swiss Air.  

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can book economy and keep waiting for the possible upgrade option (usually a day or two before the flight)... but thats a risk IF you really want to travel business, there may be no offer at all (depends on the specific ticket class off course and how full the flight is).

The price also varies....  I've had upgrades from Doha to Bangkok from as little as 14,000 baht (last year)... but this year the upgrade has been over 35,000 baht (which I found not worth it and chose the numb-bum & exit row option).

The Promo upgrades with QR are seat only (no lounge access etc).

Thus: IF definitely want business on the DOH-HKT leg... book it at time of booking. 

Or, if you don't mind too much, hedge your bets and see what you are offered (given that its likely to be around 35,000 baht (based on recent experience, but could well be different).

I know that with Emirates you can book 'split tier travel' (i.e. Eco for one leg, then Business for the next')... But the QR Website is not as user friendly and I'm don't think that booking a 'split tier travel' is possible.

You may be able to book the split tier travel over the phone.... And if thats successful 'business class loungers' are always linked to he onward flight.

(i.e. IF flying UK-DOH in Eco and onward from DOH-HKT in business, you can use the lounge in Doha).

I've never once used the Lounge in Doha...its always been way too busy. 

Once - QR pushed my onward connection back from a 1.5 hr layover to an 8 hour layover... I only found out when trying to upgrade... rather than using the lounge I used the 'sleep n fly' pods (https://sleep-n-fly.com/airports-doh - also available in Dubai)

image.png

Great. Thanks a lot for the detailed info. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

Yes, Emirates is often a 777 from Dubai on.  Although Swiss air has single seats in 777/300 , which I had , wonderful. Great as the Zurich Bangkok flight is direct so you really get the full meals , great drinks , rest on nearly flat beds , etc. Have definitely abandoned Emirates unless no other choice. 

22 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I've been Gold with emirates for over 15 years ( unfortunately never quite make Platinum ) but they're Biz class is excellent.

You'll get lounge access at the origin airport and i believe you'll get pick up service from airport to house / hotel at destination so long as it's within an hour of the airport.

If someone else is paying it's a no brainer.

You'll get, i think it's 42kg checked in baggage if that's you're jive and fast track immigration lines.

With Business Class you get access to all Lounges and Chauffeur Drive to departure airport and arrival airport to final destination. There are kms/mileage limits depending on airport. Emirates have just changed the ruling at Heathrow from a 70 miles as the crow flies to 70 miles by road!! 

40kgs luggage but no more than 30kgs in a case and yes, fast track where available.

My choice every time now on BKK-LHR-BKK and the price is less expensive than Thai Airways, EVA, Etihad, Qatar,and Lufthansa. (I did check this ready to book my annual flights next July.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

After the forced strip searches on women with qatar airlines I would not recommend them or emirates for female travel. 

Quite alarming how even australian female foreign affairs minister didnt even blink an eye. 

The world going more nuts on exponential scale now. 

Never had a strip search on Qatar in 12 yrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worrab said:

With Business Class you get access to all Lounges and Chauffeur Drive to departure airport and arrival airport to final destination.

Lounge access, chauffeur drive and advance seat selection are not offered with their cheapest Business Class Fare Type (Special).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

Never had a strip search on Qatar in 12 yrs.

The strip searches on women were done when a new born baby was found in a rubbish bin.  The women on the plane were gathered and told they had to show their private parts or werent  allowed to leave. The whole thing has been hidden away so as to not upset the elite. Quite disgusting. I am glad you havent been strip searched but imagine if one of the women was your daughter or wife. Would you continue to fly with them?

3 hours ago, geisha said:
4 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Yes, Emirates is often a 777 from Dubai on.  Although Swiss air has single seats in 777/300 , which I had , wonderful. Great as the Zurich Bangkok flight is direct so you really get the full meals , great drinks , rest on nearly flat beds , etc. Have definitely abandoned Emirates unless no other choice. 

Emirates last week into Bangkok was an A380.

The departing flight a few weeks earlier also was.

In fact... of the 5 flights per day (BKK-DXB and DXB-BKK) 4 of them are an A380.

Onwards - that depends solely on the destination...  and also what the airport is set up for. 

Heathrow - All flights are A380

Manchester - 2 of 3 flights are an A380

Birmingham - 1 of 2 flights are an A380

All can be checked when looking at the website... 

Agree with you both - A380 is definitely  better than the 777... but we can easily find out.

(*last min tech difficulties and switches aside of course). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Emirates last week into Bangkok was an A380.

The departing flight a few weeks earlier also was.

In fact... of the 5 flights per day (BKK-DXB and DXB-BKK) 4 of them are an A380.

Onwards - that depends solely on the destination...  and also what the airport is set up for. 

Heathrow - All flights are A380

Manchester - 2 of 3 flights are an A380

Birmingham - 1 of 2 flights are an A380

All can be checked when looking at the website... 

Agree with you both - A380 is definitely  better than the 777... but we can easily find out.

(*last min tech difficulties and switches aside of course). 

I can understand the A380 being better than the 777 in economy but does the same apply in Business as 777 are shown here with 12 inches more leg room and 2 inches more seat width

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/fleetinfo.php

40 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I can understand the A380 being better than the 777 in economy but does the same apply in Business as 777 are shown here with 12 inches more leg room and 2 inches more seat width

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/fleetinfo.php

You may have misunderstood seat pitch for leg room...   

Seat pitch is the distance between your seat and the seat in front... this stat is distorted by the 'staggered' layout of modern cabins.... 

Also note, 3 of the 777 layouts are 'angle-lie-flat'... something you don't want to be on unless its a free upgrade from Eco !!!..   

I've not seen the 'angle-lie-flat' for a while... the seat-guru info is dated. 

I had this issue (seat guru info dated) when choosing an Eco Seat for Qatar... (business upgrade was 39,000 baht and I didn't want to pay that).....  I chose a '*2nd row exit seat' but wanted to be sure... (I wanted to stretch out)...  seat Guru had no info on this... 

The seat Map on the QR website was accurate. 

(*I'm not sure how to word that better, usually an exit row A380 has 3 seats, in this configuration because of the bulky door the exit row had 2 seats and the window seat in the row behind had no seat in front of it... and thus... the no one tripping over my stretched out feet while I'm sleeping - PJ71 is going to we in his panties a little at the specifics here !!! )

(Image below - not QR - but it explains the missing front row seat and the leg room in the row behind - IMO a quieter and better seat if not going business).

image.png.a76be826fdff7883ac0cff7e58756e9d.png

• Thanks 1