What's so good about Thailand?

bob smith

Just now, George Aylesham said:

Well, both Italy and Belgium have managed pretty well without governments on occasion.

Have they? 

When was the last time either one of them had no functioning government or a military coup??

facts only please, not speculation.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

Thailand doesnt have democracy.

This means there is no right to freedom of expression and human rights are not important.

bureaucracy reigns supreme. it affects almost every aspect of daily life here.

90 day reporting. treated like a common criminal the minute we get off the plane.

healthcare only good if you have money. if you are poor forget it.

its either hot or wet most of the year. 

pollution is a serious issue and will kill you eventually. 

alcohol prices rising fast. soon it will be comparable to the UK/US.

institutional racism.

cant own land. etc etc etc

Democracy, pretty much the same as the Nanny State I came from, so doesn't bother me, I feel free here compared to back home.

Freedom of expression, human rights, pretty much the same as anywhere considering, i.e. protest about any government and they will shut you down pretty quick smart.

Bureaucracy is everywhere and doesn't affect me here.

90 days is easy online under 2 minutes, if you feel like you are a criminal, get over it, it is what it is.

If you don't have healthcare or money, well your in the $hit so to speak, again, not a problem for me, as it beat the cold weather.

Weather is hot or wet, I enjoy it, and it does help to have a well insulated house with A/C, including car with A/C.

Pollution is a problem everywhere, but if you keep your windows closed when they are burning, as for it killing us, well so will a lot of other things, so problem solved.

Can't see alcohol prices rising to the degree that they are back home, still half the price here.

Racism is worldwide and I don't have a problem with Thai's compared to most other nationalities back home.

As for owning land, no problem, can own other types of property, that said, it's not as if land values here are rising as far as back home.

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

off the top of my head i can only think of two things that are good about Thailand, they are;

The food.

The women.

Hotels are cheap when going on holidays.

Fuel is cheap.

Alcohol is cheap.

Cost to build here is cheap.

Rent is cheap.

Cars and motorbikes are cheap.

Drivers and riders licensers are cheap.

Insurance is cheap.

Labour is cheap.

Overall affordability is cheaper than back home.

Yes food and women are also cheap.

If you have money here, life is good, if your on the pension, well, life can be counting your pennies inn my opinion.

I have nothing to complain about here, pointless really, it is what it is, it's worse back home, as I here from my friends all the time, you got out at the right time they keep saying, so my preference is to stay here as I am comfortable.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Have they? 

When was the last time either one of them had no functioning government or a military coup??

facts only please, not speculation.

Monday, 3 August 2020 © Belga Belgium on Sunday broke its own standing record for the longest political crisis and longest period without an elected government. It has been 592 days since the previous government, led by former Prime Minister Charles Michel, collapsed over inter-party tensions on migration in December 2018. - Not the first time either.
Germany took 86 days in 2013 to reach the current coalition agreement, and in the same year Italy took 62 days to form a government.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Safety net of home country? Might not realize the average median savings account balance in the US is between 5 and 7 K. Here, they expect you to have 22K in the bank and keep it there.  In 2018 here, 73 million have savings of less than 50K. Always wondered why expats, who are getting a confirmed payment every month from retirement or pension, are expected to have more. Doesn't matter if they think we live in a way where we spend more. Expats here can live like locals if need be very easily.

Maybe so when the expats goes to the hospital and runs up a 1M baht bill, maybe he/she/it will be able to pay some of it, before dying or leaving the bill to the locals.

All the requirements were in place before we arrived, not much if anything has changed.

42 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Once big joke becomes national police chief (which is basically a forgone conclusion at this point) he is going to be ramping up the money in the bank, both for marriage and retirement to possibly well over a million baht. Not to mention talk of police checks etc.

Why worry about the future?

Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam are also nice.

Or you might be dead by then.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe so when the expats goes to the hospital and runs up a 1M baht bill, maybe he/she/it will be able to pay some of it, before dying or leaving the bill to the locals.

All the requirements were in place before we arrived, not much if anything has changed.

The locals don't pay it, the government does, just like public hospitals in America, where millions don't pay their bills. And why charge an expat so much when the locals pay almost nothing for the same services, in a government hospital? In the US, if you are a Thai living with an American husband, and he doesn't have medical insurance for you, you go to the public hospital, and get billed. You can make arrangements to pay. here, you are expected to pay in full or not get treatment. If they had payment plans here, for everyone, a lot of people would pay over time instead of not seeking treatment. I have Medicare and can't use it here, so if anything happened to me, I have to travel back to the US for treatment. I'm moving back there eventually anyway, so it's moot point,but just saying. We can live here with much less income. We spend most if not all of our money here, and it amounts to more than the average local, and we take care of some of their women, and our kids, so why make it hard for us to stay? One problem a lot don't see, is that everything that happens to farangs here gets back to our native countries. There are people who are prejudiced against Asians from everywhere, and they are attacked every week because of this. Relations between us and them should be improved. I'm not talking about the drug dealers and human trafficking farangs. I'm talking about us, the one's who help out here.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

To the title, easier to ask, 'What's so bad about TH?'

Off top of my head, can't think of anything.   Not a fan of dual pricing, but can't think of any where it is used, I need or want to see.

USA (birth country) or TH, either one is fine with me.  Presently, I think I'm happier here, and if that was to change, back to USA, or elsewhere, though can't see leaving TH is ever going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

My fairly extensive Thai family. All lovely folks. Also we spent most of the day at a nearby provincial hospital. Comprehensive diabetic eye exam, blood panel, and a decent consult with the GP on the diabetes, a gastric problem from gall bladder removal, on going vertigo, and three month supply of my meds; 5,600 TB ($160).

I believe most of the elderly expats here, came because their currency at the moment was good, and Thailand offered a good life to them, where some few who could feel like a alpha male for a brief moment before reality appaered, and Thailand was not that paradise they thought it was. 

Ring any bells? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The locals don't pay it, the government does, just like public hospitals in America, where millions don't pay their bills. And why charge an expat so much when the locals pay almost nothing for the same services, in a government hospital? In the US, if you are a Thai living with an American husband, and he doesn't have medical insurance for you, you go to the public hospital, and get billed. You can make arrangements to pay. here, you are expected to pay in full or not get treatment. If they had payment plans here, for everyone, a lot of people would pay over time instead of not seeking treatment. I have Medicare and can't use it here, so if anything happened to me, I have to travel back to the US for treatment. I'm moving back there eventually anyway, so it's moot point,but just saying. We can live here with much less income. We spend most if not all of our money here, and it amounts to more than the average local, and we take care of some of their women, and our kids, so why make it hard for us to stay? One problem a lot don't see, is that everything that happens to farangs here gets back to our native countries. There are people who are prejudiced against Asians from everywhere, and they are attacked every week because of this. Relations between us and them should be improved. I'm not talking about the drug dealers and human trafficking farangs. I'm talking about us, the one's who help out here.

With taxes collected from the citizens & visitors

They get healthcare, almost free, because it's their country, their healthcare system, & their rules.

Nothing anyone didn't or shouldn't have known before coming to TH.

It's not the USA, it's TH.   What the other 200+ countries do is completely irrelevant.

If a Thai goes to the USA, they can't use their Gold Card (30 baht scheme), at the hospital, so what's different.

The rest of your reply is too silly to even bother with.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I believe most of the elderly expats here, came because their currency at the moment was good, and Thailand offered a good life where some few, who could feel like a alpha male for a brief moment, before reality appaered to them that Thailand was not that paradise they thought it was. 

Ring any bells? 

Been here since 2009, and still enjoying it.

Still find my wife attractive.

If I didn't like it I'd move somewhere else.

Edited by BritManToo
missing I
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Been here since 2009, and still enjoying it.

If  didn't like it I'd move somewhere else.

2000 for me, and yes, that door swings both ways.  Quite enjoying my stay also.   If that changed, oh well, planes leave every day.  I'm sure they'll save me a seat ????

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

With taxes collected from the citizens & visitors

They get healthcare, almost free, because it's their country, their healthcare system, & their rules.

Nothing anyone didn't or shouldn't have known before coming to TH.

It's not the USA, it's TH.   What the other 200+ countries do is completely irrelevant.

The rest of your reply is too silly to even bother with.

Silly perhaps, but true. Americans should get free healthcare also, just like Canada. Healthcare here is cheap to free, and that's great, because most can't afford it. When they retire, they get 600 baht a month, hardly enough for anything. Most Thais do not and can't afford to pay taxes. That's because of the before mentioned "retirement" plan. I was just saying that we can live here on much less money than they require of us.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That will never be a concern of mine.   My retirement was well planned.  Intelligent, or even not so intelligent people do that, actually plan their retirement.

YMMV

Thanks for replying. I had overlooked the “ignore” tab which will send you to “Felton’s Phontom Zone”.  The sheer idiocy that suggests that I DID NOT “plan” my retirement, shows the depth of your stupidity. I planned based on the available information at the time and the prevailing Immigration rules in place in 2015. I cannot  possibly predict the changes in policy that mostly depend on the Thai “cash grab” mentality. Now that you are safely on “ignore”, you can mumble to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

in your opinion, whats so good about living in Thailand?

for me i struggle to find the positives. lets take a deep dive into the facts for a minute, shall we?

Thailand doesnt have democracy.

This means there is no right to freedom of expression and human rights are not important.

bureaucracy reigns supreme. it affects almost every aspect of daily life here.

90 day reporting. treated like a common criminal the minute we get off the plane.

healthcare only good if you have money. if you are poor forget it.

its either hot or wet most of the year. 

pollution is a serious issue and will kill you eventually. 

alcohol prices rising fast. soon it will be comparable to the UK/US.

institutional racism.

cant own land. etc etc etc

off the top of my head i can only think of two things that are good about Thailand, they are;

The food.

The women.

if Thailand didnt have those above it would be hell on earth.

how about you lot? what do you find so good about living in Thailand?

You are easily the worst poster on this website. Go home, Bob.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Silly perhaps, but true. Americans should get free healthcare also, just like Canada. Healthcare here is cheap to free, and that's great, because most can't afford it. When they retire, they get 600 baht a month, hardly enough for anything. Most Thais do not and can't afford to pay taxes. That's because of the before mentioned "retirement" plan. I was just saying that we can live here on much less money than they require of us.

I guess you never heard of the VAT.  

Also guessing you don't live here, and lack any intelligent rational thinking ability.

Talk to you're USA govt rep about free healthcare there.  While at it, ask the why you don't get in TH.

Again ... not the USA, it's TH.  Shall we discuss the free healthcare you won't get in some of the other 200+ countries.

Have a nice day, BYE BYE

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

thats cos the average wage is 10 times what it is in Thailand.

Dont you get it? Higher wages = higher cost/higher quality of life.

There is a reason Thailand is cheap.....

I get that higher wages = higher cost. Extending that to higher quality of life is total BS.

Don't YOU get it? My retirement pension and assets go so much further in Thailand than they ever would in Australia.

A condo here cost me AUD 50,000. I couldn't even buy a decent motor home for that in Oz.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I get that higher wages = higher cost. Extending that to higher quality of life is total BS.

Don't YOU get it? My retirement pension and assets go so much further in Thailand than they ever would in Australia.

A condo here cost me AUD 50,000. I couldn't even buy a decent motor home for that in Oz.

Obviously didnt have a high enough paying job then.

I could buy a pool villa on the gold coast if I wanted.

But i would rather drink myself to death on the dusty streets of siem reap I think.

Dont much like aussies anyway. Sour bunch.

4 minutes ago, BarstoolChang said:

You are easily the worst poster on this website. Go home, Bob.

He probably is home, in his/her/it's mother's basement, waiting for his PB&J sandwich & milk.

If lucky, maybe a cookie and stay up late.

• Haha 1