Apple issues warning for people who charge their iPhone while they’re sleeping

snoop1130

Apple-Iphone.jpg

Doing so could have major consequences

Most people find that there’s no better time to charge your iPhone than when you’re asleep at night.

Waking up in the morning, both fully recharged, it sets the tone for the rest of the day however Apple have warned that doing this could have major consequences.

Apple have told those of us who charge their phone while we’re asleep at night are at risk of causing a “fire, electric shock, injury, or damage to iPhone or other property”.

Full Story: https://www.joe.co.uk/tech/apple-issues-warning-for-people-who-charge-their-iphone-while-theyre-sleeping-403297

-- JOE 2023-08-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The precautions mentioned in the article are just common sense .  I haven’t heard about the overnight fire issue.  In that case you have to keep an eye on the phone the whole time while charging at any time of the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, VBF said:

Well the article says:

"The risks are increased even further if your iPhone isn’t covered up and can’t ventilate properly while charging. Especially bad news for those of you who leave your phone under your pillow as this can lead to the phone overheating and even start a fire."

I think "isn't covered up" should say IS covered up (!) and as for anyone sleeping with their phones......words fail me! ????

Right about first part. About second part, I see your point of view and I agree with it, but consider that smart phones are also excellent for alarms. They are very useful for people who have multiple things to do in the night, eg feeding a baby at regular intervals, taking medication, teleconf with other time zones, etc. Unlike a bedside clock, they store many different alarm times that you can select easily, with different settings of sounds, volume or vibration. This said, I'd never let it charge under my pillow and I'd never buy Apple anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I understand that Apple build redundancy into their phones in order to run the battery down as it gets older.

Thus encouraging people to continuously upgrade.

My next door neighbour has to recharge her iphone multiple times a day. It is only 2 -3 years old.

Its just battery chemistry.  They dont last forever at 100 pc health even if they tried.  Heat , usage and Charging method can degrade batteries quicker. You are lucky if you get 3 years heavy usage out of lithium.  

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An interesting theory, bogus, but interesting.

Batteries degrade over time and charge cycles this is exacerbated by heat. So a 3 year old phone that drains quickly is in need of a battery replacement, the various iCare stores can replace one in an hour or so. You can get cheaper lower quality batteries from virtually any phone repair shop, though the useful life is going to be shorter quite possibly only 1 year with the cheaper ones.

And the battery on my 6 year old Samsung is still as good as new and I only charge it 2 or 3 times a week.

Strange but true.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Its just battery chemistry.  They dont last forever at 100 pc health even if they tried.  Heat , usage and Charging method can degrade batteries quicker. You are lucky if you get 3 years heavy usage out of lithium.  

Agreed.

Engineering data sheets for all secondary (rechargeable) cells state a maximum number of charge cycles as reference. Temperature extremes decrease this values significantly.

For the most part that can be used as a guide to actual life.

The more you use it the faster, in calendar time, the sooner it fails.

For most commodity batteries made in China (and most are) just divide that reference number by two.

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I understand that Apple build redundancy into their phones in order to run the battery down as it gets older.

My next door neighbour has to recharge her iphone multiple times a day. It is only 2 -3 years old.

Something wrong with the phone battery or his phone is set to continuously update from some website. I do not question your reporting this but not my experience as a long time user of Apple products (I have iPhone XR, Wife iPhone 11, Daughter iPhone 14).

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An interesting theory, bogus, but interesting.

From cnet.com

Apple will slow down the performance of iPhones with weaker battery health in order to preserve battery life. The 2017 "batterygate" scandal led to the company paying a $113 million settlement back in 2020 after an investigation was launched by 34 states and Washington, DC. 

'preserve battery life' or encourage you to buy a new one?

There is another $500 million lawsuit in the offering.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Agree with part of that, as all phones seem to come with 'fast' chargers.  No better, faster way to degrade them, than fast charge them all the time.

Along with batteries you can't change yourself.  I think they've just about ran out of any real tech upgrades people need, so lets just kill the batteries.

sell sell sell

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

And the battery on my 6 year old Samsung is still as good as new and I only charge it 2 or 3 times a week.

Strange but true.

I know of a tech icon who stores his backup devices in a freezer some are decades old still with fully functioning batteries (when brought to room temperature of course)

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

From cnet.com

'preserve battery life' or encourage you to buy a new one?

There is another $500 million lawsuit in the offering.

Not really, and a news article is just an allegation, many have been proven false or at best using a tiny unrepresentative sample.

It could be true or bogus.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Right about first part. About second part, I see your point of view and I agree with it, but consider that smart phones are also excellent for alarms. They are very useful for people who have multiple things to do in the night, eg feeding a baby at regular intervals, taking medication, teleconf with other time zones, etc. Unlike a bedside clock, they store many different alarm times that you can select easily, with different settings of sounds, volume or vibration. This said, I'd never let it charge under my pillow and I'd never buy Apple anyway.

Quite agree but one doesn't necessarily need to leave it on charge overnight even if one does need the alarms. It all depends on lifestyle and whether its convenient to charge it the next morning which, for me, it usually is.

The closest thing to anything electronic that ends up under my pillow is the TV remote control if I fall asleep faster than anticipated.

And regarding Apple, I've always said that the "i" in iPhone, iMac etc stands for "What the **** did I spend all this money on?"

Fine engineering but not fine enough to justify the difference over Android phones or Windows / Linux PCs.

Now watch the fanbois start frothing at the mouth! ????

4 hours ago, VBF said:

Quite agree but one doesn't necessarily need to leave it on charge overnight even if one does need the alarms. It all depends on lifestyle and whether its convenient to charge it the next morning which, for me, it usually is.

The closest thing to anything electronic that ends up under my pillow is the TV remote control if I fall asleep faster than anticipated.

And regarding Apple, I've always said that the "i" in iPhone, iMac etc stands for "What the **** did I spend all this money on?"

Fine engineering but not fine enough to justify the difference over Android phones or Windows / Linux PCs.

So true VBF, Apple is a cult of lemmings trying to stay relevant in a declining society.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:07 AM, swm59nj said:

The precautions mentioned in the article are just common sense .  I haven’t heard about the overnight fire issue.  In that case you have to keep an eye on the phone the whole time while charging at any time of the day.

Well said.

20 hours ago, nglodnig said:

"Especially bad news for those of you who leave your phone under your pillow" is this so the tooth fairy can find them?

Well if you believe in Apple......

On 8/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, VBF said:

Mac book airs are def worth the extra, 18 hour battery life and the best sound I have heard on a laptop, not a fan boy, a fact.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, proton said:

Mac book airs are def worth the extra, 18 hour battery life and the best sound I have heard on a laptop, not a fan boy, a fact.

As i said, Apple are fine engineering  but to address your points - I never need to use a laptop for 18 hours if I'm away from a power point, and I will strongly disagree that listening to anything serious via laptop speakers is a good experience.

It doesn't matter if it's a PC / laptop or a Mac - speakers of that size are just incapable of giving a good listening experience. I either use external speakers (wired or bluetooth) or headphones same as i do with my phone / tablet both of which are Android.

I'm not saying that Apple kit is bad, just the opposite, but I cannot justify the price premium over Windows / Unix systems.  I could offer more reasons but that would be :offtopic:for this post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This june, the European Union passed a bill forcing Apple to put consumer friendly, retractable batteries in their iphones. It could change the ball game globally.

As a rule of the thumb, any device recharging at night is put on a clear space, say in the middle of the hall  with nothing inflamable around or below  (carpet, curtains, sofa etc)