A passport needs to be certified??

Steven55

Farang (US citizen) and Thai lady want to divorce. Simple divorce, no assets money to share.
He recently got a new passport. Now, it seems that the District Office in Pattaya
demands that this new passport needs to be certified by the US Embassy and the Thai consul.
IMO, a passport is a certified document BY DEFINITION!
Anyone heard about this? Is this certification really needed?
(Immigration accepted this passport when he extended his stay for 1 year...)

34 minutes ago, Steven55 said:

Farang (US citizen) and Thai lady want to divorce. Simple divorce, no assets money to share.
He recently got a new passport. Now, it seems that the District Office in Pattaya
demands that this new passport needs to be certified by the US Embassy and the Thai consul.

from what i read from Dingdongs post it can be done through the mail.

• Thanks 1

Another example is a UK marriage certificate.  Such a certificate is literally a certified copy of an entry at the General Registrars Office (GRO).  Yet Thai immigration requires you to get that certified copy certified by four different government entities in two different countries.

What a load of old cock.

• Thumbs Up 2

go elsewhere.

I got married in Krung Thep, divorced in Udon Thani.  

Seems like a silly request to me, as divorce was one of, if not the simplest thing I've had done here at the Amphur office.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I got divorced in Pattaya, never needed to have a certified passport. Copy of passport and her Thai ID plus copy of marriage certificate was all that was needed

Sorry I forgot I did have to get my passport copy certified at Australia Embassy first. I did it one trip and then divorce the next trip 3 months later

15 hours ago, Steven55 said:

When the US Embassy renews a passport, they attach a formal letter on the Embassy stationary to say that a new passport has been issued and replaces the old passport number. This should be sufficient, but then again, the Amphur may require a translation of that letter into Thai. My guess is something is lost in the translation of this request. Makes no sense otherwise!

TIT. You will get a different demand or even none depending not just on the Amphur but even the official you deal with. When getting a blue book for my wife the helpful young lady at the desk offered me a yellow book there and then if I could produce my passport. I didn't have it with me.We went again to get the yellow book but a different person behind the counter and I was told they needed the ID page certified by the British Embassy ( Embassy stamp she said). I didn't pursue further.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

TIT. You will get a different demand or even none depending not just on the Amphur but even the official you deal with. 

Exactly! No different than any Immigration Office.

NOTE: Depends on Office, Officer........  and the phase of the moon.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:17 PM, Steven55 said:

District Office demands translated copy of a pp, translation needs to be certified

It appears all, as one said, you will get a different response depend on the Ampur you used.

Ampur generally wants a copy of the passport stamped by your Embassy and certified in Thai by a translator with that stamp. Then you taken the original and the stamped translated certified copy to the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs had get that legalized with their stamp. 

Advise, take (2) copies.