Order Zenni progessive glasses

Hamus Yaigh

Just broken my existing progressive glasses I bought from a rather overpriced Thai chain shop, so wanted the same order online from Zenni who charge about a quarter the price.

** As I am not experienced can someone tell me if I got the prescription correctly input please? The first (Duna) image above is from Thai shop and works well for me. Below that is what I input on Zenni. The PD of 66 seems to be a carry over from some reading glasses I had from Zenni but the Duna card does not mention PD at all so I left it at 66 on Zenni. So did I get it all OK and I can go ahead with order?

Thanks

1328729311_2023-08-19151844.jpg.7a3faf31a4c5f20c04ef57c7afe6910c.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Appears that is between lines so applies to both eyes?

Personally I would query it with Zenni. I've never seen a prescription written like that and often the od and os are different values.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Thanks that is reassuring. I'll order and hope they work out for me.

There is somewhere on the Zenni order from, where you hold a Credit (or Debit) card against your eyes and they can then tell what your PD is. If not, a ruler and mirror will do the job

Four years ago I bought some progressives from KT Optic in Central after a previous pair from Maria at Euro Optic in Pattaya. They were expensive Essilor lenses, and titanium frames so cost Bht 28k. They are the BEST I have had in my almost 70 years of spec-wearing.

I sent off to Zenni, quoting the same prescription. Nice frames but the 'paint' wore off them in 6 months, and the coating on the lenses after 12 months. Zenni DID replace them. There really is no comparison, but Zennis look OK, and are much cheaper. You could get new Zennis every year for quite a few for what I paid at KT, but it's like a Kia vs a Roller.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I need a new pair of glasses and I was considering trying one of the online suppliers.

Please post back when you receive your glasses from Zenni and let us know how it all went.

Total cost of glasses.

Shipping charges.

Time from placing order to receiving glasses.

Much Appriciated!

I think order processing and price is not a problem, but I think @kannika put it very well.

As with everything in the world, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

I just had a look at the Zenni website, and they have a way for you to measure your pupillary distance (PD) directly on their website. You hold a standard-sized credit card up to your forehead (showing the back side of the card, not the side with the data. It just needs the size of a standard object for comparison purposes) and the website's measuring tool compares the distance between your pupils to the known size of the credit card. It then makes the calculation for you. My PD is 64.5mm.

I also intend to order these glasses with the progressive lenses from Zenni. (I had gotten the expensive Essilor ones from a Thai optician about 10 years ago, and they didn't work for me. So this time I'll try with the cheap ones, and if they don't work, I won't be out so much money.)

But I have a question: Can I just go into any optician and ask them to test my eyes for a prescription for glasses that I will buy somewhere else? I expect to have to pay for the prescription, but will they do it for me if I intend to buy the glasses elsewhere?

10 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I need a new pair of glasses and I was considering trying one of the online suppliers.

Please post back when you receive your glasses from Zenni and let us know how it all went.

Total cost of glasses.

Shipping charges.

Time from placing order to receiving glasses.

Much Appriciated!

I've purchased loads from Zenni, about $50 for progressive lens & decent frame inc delivery (14 days).

If you exercise a lot the glasses will only last 18-24 months as sweat seems to damage the lens coating.

But so cheap you can buy a pair every year or two. 

Money saving tip, buy the thicker lens than the ones recommended, they are half the price and on't feel any different when in use.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Likely not (they will usually nto even provide a written script when you purchase glasses) and more to the point  the prescriptions issued by most glasses shops in Thailand   are not very reliable and the people doing this are nto really opticians.

You are better off seeing an opthalmologist at a hospital or clinic and getting an overall eye exam inclusive of, but nto limited to, vision tests. This would also help rule out any other problems that may be affecting your vision (cataracts, glaucoma etc)

I'm not sure about the reliable part, as I've gotten scripted glasses from 3 different chains, and didn't tell them my script on purpose, to see how accurate they are, they've all been spot on.

Lenses made accordingly.  I find the frames really jack up the price here.  Cost wise, haven't a clue, as been 10 yrs probably since I bought a pair.

Here's a thought for some folks, if a minor script, mine are/were 25/50, and last pair of scripted shades I bought, I went 1 level darker, oops, and didn't like them at all, as too dark.

Haven't worn for years, as in 7+ years.  Put them on a while back, and they did the opposite, make me vision blurry.   Apparently, my eyes corrected themselves, from age & not wearing. 

So try not to wear them all the time, if you can get by without them.

Shades I wore all the time, and I had a clear pair for night time driving, which I don't do much here.  But while O&A recently, did try my clear glasses, only to find out they're useless now.

Edited by KhunLA

46 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I have had a pair of frameless progressive transition glasses from goggles4u.com that cost about $50 for the last 5 years... 

Do tell us more? Do they ship to Thailand? Their web site is very confusing and mentions "overseas production units in Thailand" but only shipping to "US & Puerto Rico" and "Standard Shipping to UK, Ireland, and France" and "Canada" and no where else unless I missed it? So where do you ship yours to?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've purchased loads from Zenni, about $50 for progressive lens & decent frame inc delivery (14 days).

If you exercise a lot the glasses will only last 18-24 months as sweat seems to damage the lens coating.

Yes thats why I want cheap because of damage as you describe. But I couldn't find lenses that cheap, best I found was around 90$ range, I ordered photo-chromatic for outdoors use, still far cheaper than the high street price around where I am.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Do tell us more? Do they ship to Thailand? Their web site is very confusing and mentions "overseas production units in Thailand" but only shipping to "US & Puerto Rico" and "Standard Shipping to UK, Ireland, and France" and "Canada" and no where else unless I missed it? So where do you ship yours to?

Just ask them... they are made here in Thailand... then shipped to Pakistan or somewhere else... don't know why... then shipped to me here in Thailand... twice no duties... once with duties... again don't know why.

Register on the site and put your bill to address as it pertains to how you are going to pay for them... my billing address is in USA... then put your ship to address as requested... mine here in Thailand worked no problem.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Likely not (they will usually nto even provide a written script when y

You are better off seeing an opthalmologist at a hospital or clinic and getting an overall eye exam inclusive of, but nto limited to, vision tests. This would also help rule out any other problems that may be affecting your vision (cataracts, glaucoma etc)

Can you recommend a eye hospital or clinic to have a eye examination in the Bangkok area please ?

On 8/19/2023 at 8:51 PM, BenStark said:

I think order processing and price is not a problem, but I think @kannika put it very well.

As with everything in the world, you get what you pay for.

I've been wearing Zenni glasses for years now and they last as good as anybody's.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1