How young can a young person take driving lessons legally?

I found very vague statements in the biggest Thai forum that say yes you can learn at the driving school if the instructor agrees.

Multiple "yes you can", "I studied at 17" on another Thai site.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why not go and ask the driving schools? 

Good point!

Why?

My son went to a driving school in the Chan area of Sathorn. Columns of road signs etc. around the windows of he tshop.

Son asked if the owner would teach him the road rules. Abrupt old man sais: "There are no driving rules in Thailand, it's up to you, so how can I teach you the 'rules'? 

Son produced a booklet about 10 pages 'Thailand Driving Rules in English and Thai', driving school owner insisted it was fake.

Son kept looking... 

Learn & drive anywhere you want, as long as not on public street.  I think (don't quote me), it's 15, for scooter, not sure about car.

Quick google, and car ... 18, sounds about right if memory serves w/daughter.

Same info from 2 sites:

image.png.6787448bcdd43538cc3afcfcfdb9665b.png

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point!

Why?

My son went to a driving school in the Chan area of Sathorn. Columns of road signs etc. around the windows of he tshop.

Son asked if the owner would teach him the road rules. Abrupt old man sais: "There are no driving rules in Thailand, it's up to you, so how can I teach you the 'rules'? 

Son produced a booklet about 10 pages 'Thailand Driving Rules in English and Thai', driving school owner insisted it was fake.

Son kept looking... 

My wife used the one in Chanthaburi and on the first day they gave her the 'highway code' to study at home. 

19 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Example I have two teenagers in high school can they go to licensed driving school before they are 18?

What is the point as the schools IME take you to the transport office for your license (as a group) if your not 18 then you can't be given the license. I can't see someone turning up say six months later and produce the schools documents expecting their license. How can the school teach you as they do, on the road in their duel control cars? 

19 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

If they can't drive on the public road can they drive at the school and learn to park?

I'd stay clear of schools at all times, in my area there are supermarket car parks with no gates, or 'waste' ground where markets are some times held.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What is the point as the schools IME take you to the transport office for your license (as a group) if your not 18 then you can't be given the license. I can't see someone turning up say six months later and produce the schools documents expecting their license. How can the school teach you as they do, on the road in their duel control cars? 

Very simple - even if you can't go on the roads - learning to parallel park expertly on their site is great start!

Not sure why they would take you as a group? Other than to save money my wife got her Thai drivers license after a class and went with just her teacher...

I know some people who after 20 years of daily driving can't park in a big city.

Edited by TravelerEastWest
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Very simple - even if you can't go on the roads - learning to parallel park expertly on their site is great start!

Not sure why they would take you as a group? Other than to save money my wife got her Thai drivers license after a class and went with just her teacher...

I know some people who after 20 years of daily driving can't park in a big city.

the school has about ten computers, 2 duel control auto cars + 2 stick pick ups, they take them on the road through Chanthaburi, so I'd say about 15+ people, they are all doing different parts of the test, you can practice parking all day, on site, shown how to check oil and water, date on tyres they also take them all for the medicals 115b then,   when everybody :whistling: has passed, off to the transport office for their license. 20hrs over a few days. They do M/C tests on other days was 1 k

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

the school has about ten computers, 2 duel control auto cars + 2 stick pick ups, they take them on the road through Chanthaburi, so I'd say about 15+ people, they are all doing different parts of the test, you can practice parking all day, on site, shown how to check oil and water, date on tyres they also take them all for the medicals 115b then,   when everybody :whistling: has passed, off to the transport office for their license. 20hrs over a few days. They do M/C tests on other days was 1 k

I understand - low cost so group activities - if busy better to pay a bit more I think my wife paid 4,000.

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Learner drivers can learn on the street as long a they are accompanied by a qualified driver who has held a full licence for at least three years.  I believe that they must be 18 to be learning on the road.

Utter nonsense, IMO unless you are a qualified instructor with  signs on the car driver under instruction. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Learner drivers can learn on the street as long a they are accompanied by a qualified driver who has held a full licence for at least three years.  I believe that they must be 18 to be learning on the road.

Expand  

Utter nonsense, IMO unless you are a qualified instructor with  signs on the car driver under instruction. 

Well, as you said, that's your opinion and just "utter" nonsense, my comment was factual.   

17 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

160 page Road Code available from bookstore eg SE-ED often found in shopping centres/malls

Daughter, 18, having further lessons on October at a driving school prior to sitting test, this was required reading prior to lessons.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and just how many read and study such a document???

none .......surely with ALL the bad drivers here  

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If learner drivers are allowed on the streets  surely   "L"  plates should be fixed to the car warning other so called experienced drivers, to be cautious of them, but i have never seen this

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife started calling this morning:

The closest school is too small - another school about 35 minutes away will teach my teenagers before 18 but won't give them a certificate until they 18.

4,000 baht for 10 hours of lessons on the road in a car with dual brakes and steering wheels. 5 hours of computer study. My kids will end up with a certificate when they are 18 and they don't need to take a test at the driving office. Note the computer video is in Thai with English subtitles. but the test should be in English. The instructors don't speak English but my kids can speak Thai so thats OK.

It seems like under 18 they can drive on the road with these licensed instructors - but maybe it is not correct but they do it anyway? Not sure and not concerned.

Now I need to budget for a small Toyota for my daughter too drive to school in for the last six months of the school year...

Next year off to America for college -will she be able to exchange her Thai license for an American one or does she need to take a test again?

1 hour ago, actonion said:

If learner drivers are allowed on the streets  surely   "L"  plates should be fixed to the car warning other so called experienced drivers, to be cautious of them, but i have never seen this

I don't believe that is a requirement, official driving school cars do not display "L" plates.  

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

My wife started calling this morning:

The closest school is too small - another school about 35 minutes away will teach my teenagers before 18 but won't give them a certificate until they 18.

4,000 baht for 10 hours of lessons on the road in a car with dual brakes and steering wheels. 5 hours of computer study. My kids will end up with a certificate when they are 18 and they don't need to take a test at the driving office. Note the computer video is in Thai with English subtitles. but the test should be in English. The instructors don't speak English but my kids can speak Thai so thats OK.

It seems like under 18 they can drive on the road with these licensed instructors - but maybe it is not correct but they do it anyway? Not sure and not concerned.

Now I need to budget for a small Toyota for my daughter too drive to school in for the last six months of the school year...

Next year off to America for college -will she be able to exchange her Thai license for an American one or does she need to take a test again?

Jeez nearly  the same price as Chanthaburi and half the time, ( although that was 5 yrs ago)there is no set time either for any part of the test, keep trying till you get it right. I was amazed my missus past the computer questions, first time, she told me you just keep doing it over and over, I asked her what if you still don't get it right after a day "go back tomorrow'' :giggle:

On 8/19/2023 at 8:44 PM, TravelerEastWest said:

How young can a young person take driving lessons legally?

A better question would be 'At what age can a person start taking driving lessons'

Most kids start motor bike at around 10 years old, but cannot get licence or insurance before 15, and then below 110cc. if the 'test' is passed satisfactorily.

Car lessons can begin before 18, possibly the month before as they only take 4 or 5 of them. Then at 18 they can apply for a 2 year licence.

"Car lessons can begin before 18, possibly the month before as they only take 4 or 5 of them. Then at 18 they can apply for a 2 year licence."

Lessons can start much earlier they just won't give you your certificate until you are 18 - with the certificate no test at the driving office...