should we get cremated?

save the frogs

On 8/21/2023 at 12:13 AM, Sheryl said:

"Buddhists typically favor cremation because they believe it is an important way to release the soul from the physical form" is incorrect.

That is a Hindu, not Buddhist,  belief.

Buddhism does not believe in the existence of an immortal soul, period. In fact that is a central tenet.

So what do Buddhists believe about re-incarnation please?

There are some who believe that some geezer came back from the dead, as a living man, 2000 years ago, and have been trying to drum that into the masses ever since.

32 minutes ago, mania said:

There is precious little enough and as it is.

Land should be for the living to use not for planting people in wooden boxes

So for that reason I'm going with cremation

But of course, there is the non-ecological, air-polluting smoke with every cremation, not to mention the thousands of gallons of petrol used.

In some Western countries, they are 'experimenting' with dissolving the bodies in Sodium Hydroxide or something similar. Or why not more burials at sea?

Edited by KannikaP

"soul" is the wrong choice of words here for Buddhism, mind is probably the better term.

And yes, I wish to be cremated, since we can't do the Tibetan style 'wild animal feast al fresco burial' anymore.

My mother, now 90, is very much afraid of cremation but is locked in a casket & buried deep so much better? I don't think so.

As I once said and my teacher agreed with me: "Death is the Yogi's return on investment".

I look forward to mine & the wild ride that follows.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So what do Buddhists believe about re-incarnation please?

There are some who believe that some geezer came back from the dead, as a living man, 2000 years ago, and have been trying to drum that into the masses ever since.

That it exists and that the conditions of your next life are shaped by your accumulated karma from this & potentially other past lives. 

No connection to Christianity. Buddhism believes in a realm where demi-gods & gods dwell but they don't have any influence on our lives; we create it ourselves through cause & effect.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:08 AM, rocketboy2 said:

More like 3 days here. :giggle:

That long? I attended church services where a priest recited prayers at the front while in the back the "mourners" were talking about the "wake menu" and yet others were wondering, who would get those expensive Bally shoes - life goes on after all! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I did a bit of research on that ... 

both are bad for the environment it seems, so they're coming up with new ways. 

there is actually a "green funeral company" in the UK. 

https://www.thegreenfuneralcompany.co.uk

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/09/greener-way-to-go-eco-friendly-way-dispose-of-body-burial-cremation

Burial uses too much land; cremation releases too much CO2. So what about composting our loved ones – or even dissolving them?

Sky burial maybe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Well you asked & I explained. That was all ????????‍♂️

No, I asked and you put forward YOUR ideas, not really an explanation.

But if you are happy thinking you will come back as something/one else, good luck.

I live in reality, and shall die the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, I asked and you put forward YOUR ideas, not really an explanation.

But if you are happy thinking you will come back as something/one else, good luck.

I live in reality, and shall die the same.

Saying Buddhism believes in it, which was all I did, isn't my idea. 

This topic seems to weird some people out on ThaiVisa and make them act insecure. Have they heard that Thailand is a Buddhist country? Shocker, isn't it? ????

4 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Saying Buddhism believes in it, which was all I did, isn't my idea. 

This topic seems to weird some people out on ThaiVisa and make them act insecure. Have they heard that Thailand is a Buddhist country? Shocker, isn't it? ????

It is now Asean Now, not Thai Visa.

No, I am not insecure, and I did hear somewhere that Thailand is SUPPOSED to be a Buddhist country, but a different form, Thai style.

But you believe what you want, and I shall wend my own merry way to oblivion.

????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I did a bit of research on that ... 

both are bad for the environment it seems, so they're coming up with new ways. 

there is actually a "green funeral company" in the UK. 

https://www.thegreenfuneralcompany.co.uk

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/09/greener-way-to-go-eco-friendly-way-dispose-of-body-burial-cremation

Burial uses too much land; cremation releases too much CO2. So what about composting our loved ones – or even dissolving them?

Apparently, the very best use for a human body would be to make fertiliser pellets. It's done with animals. However, I understand that ethical reasons prevent humans being processed in this way. 

25 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Apparently, the very best use for a human body would be to make fertiliser pellets. It's done with animals. However, I understand that ethical reasons prevent humans being processed in this way. 

Who's ethics?

What about the South American tribe, or maybe it is Mongolia, where they leave the bodies out for the Vultures to devour. Re-incarnated as bird pooh, cannot put 5h1t.

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Who's ethics?

What about the South American tribe, or maybe it is Mongolia, where they leave the bodies out for the Vultures to devour. Re-incarnated as bird pooh, cannot put 5h1t.

Who knows? Just been reading that cremation became legal in UK in 1884. Apparently, alkaline hydrolysis is presently legal in UK although, so far, has only been used for the purposes of testing if the resulting solution is safe to discharge into the public sewerage system.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Soylent Green was a better idea

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:09 AM, JayClay said:

That was my question, too. I can't imagine there being any nutrients in chared body ash.

For me the obvious way to give back to the earth would seem to be being burried straight into the ground without any kind of casket.

In time, we all return to the stardust from which everything is made, including the earth, so I'd like to return to it as quickly as possible. That is the moral answer, actually I wish to be disposed of as cheaply and with as little fuss as possible within the law. I guess it'll be up to my missus, so going up the temple chimney seems the likely method.

"Save The Frogs asked - do ashes actually fertilize anything? 

Well, my aged ex died three months ago and I thought it would be nice to bury her cremated ashes beneath a nice pink magnolia tree planted in our daughters paddok adjacent to her house.  I bought the young tree and fully researched about what ferilisers should also be added.  I discovered that and can categorically state,  human ashes have a very high salt content and as such, are totally unsuitable for use as a fertiliser and will, in fact probably kill any plant that they are scattered over or under.  In short, scatter the ashes some other way.

During my research, I also learned of a new method of cremation recently arrived from America where the new method is now used quite extensively.  It's called a water cremation whereby they put the body in a degradable bag and subject it to very high pressure.  After six hours, the end result is just clean water which is disposed of in the public drainage system and the bones which are finely ground and passed to the relatives.  Personally, I think this may be the best way to go.

So does anyone here have a idea of the cost for a farang to get torched in Thailand....The whole works.......

Not a delux Mercedes send off, lets say a Toyota Corolla send off.....

Edited by redwood1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So does anyone here have a idea of the cost for a farang to get torched in Thailand....The whole works.......

Not a delux Mercedes send off, lets say a Toyota Corolla send off.....

Last year I paid 150,000 baht for my Thai brother-in-law's funeral. This was out in the sticks, five days of food (cooked by the family), visitors from all over including Bangkok. Then his casket in the refrigeration unit went on the back of an ancient pick-up truck to the nearest temple.

• Like 1