Man kills shopkeeper in US state of California after disparaging Pride flag

Social Media

12 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Not really, I don't see any logic in your post or how it relates to the question I asked.

There isn't, 

Its used all the time, plenty of examples around:

A Local Preacher and a Jailhouse Jesus Freak Brought Me to Faith in Prison

Jesus Freaks: A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge

Jesus Freaks: Stories of Those Who Stood for Jesus, the Ultimate Jesus Freaks

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Not really, I don't see any logic in your post or how it relates to the question I asked.

OK, either you lack intellect or you are being disingenuous. Neither makes for an interesting debate so I won't waste my time further.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Plenty of examples of the N word being used as well. 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It's not complicated.

You said it's OK to call people Jesus Freaks because they use the term for themselves.

Ergo, it is OK to call black people N*****s if they themselves use the N word.

Is that too complicated for you? Or are you going to continue being disingenuous by pretending you don't understand?

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

OK, either you lack intellect or you are being disingenuous. Neither makes for an interesting debate so I won't waste my time further.

Two replies to the same post?  Was that intentional, or do you lack the intellect to keep track?

I posted "Yes, people used to happily refer to themselves as Jesus Freaks.  Did the term become politically incorrect, and if so, when?"

A benign post and a simple question; I was not aware that Jesus Freak had become offensive and asked for information.  You chose to take offense, and haven't answered the question.

I don't think my intellect is the one in question here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Plenty of examples of the N word being used as well. 

More strawman. Who used the N word? 

Charles Manson was another Jesus freak who then turned nazi and Satanist. Only this one in the topic actually committed cold blooded murder.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

More strawman. Who used the N word? 

Charles Manson was another Jesus freak who then turned nazi and Satanist. Only this one in the topic actually committed cold blooded murder.

You've made your position clear i.e. you find it perfectly acceptable to use bigoted, insulting terms against religions that you do not like, in this case Evangelical Christians.

There is really no need to continue using the term to remind everyone of your bigotry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You've made your position clear i.e. you find it perfectly acceptable to use bigoted, insulting terms against religions that you do not like, in this case Evangelical Christians.

There is really no need to continue using the term to remind everyone of your bigotry.

I'm a Christian....lol

Where is it reported that he was an Evangelical Christian? He was a freak who murdered and had no idea of the meaning of real Christianity or the Evangelical faction. 

As for calling me a bigot.....lol  You need to do some reading, posted plenty already here's some more instead of making unsubstantiated claims.

Terror on the Beach and The Love-Thrill Murders all featured acid-befuddled commune-dwellers on killing sprees: sometimes they were satanists, sometimes they were Jesus freaks, but there was always a Manson-like figure guiding the murderous action.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/20/charles-manson-pop-culture-dark-obsession-guns-n-roses-mad-men

Edited by Bkk Brian

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm a Christian....lol

But you are not an evangelical christian which is what the derogatory term "Jesus Freak" refers to.

image.png.3dcb5785537e5dd3a0737ca55bb1511b.png

It's like a Catholic saying it's OK to insult a Protestant. Or a Shia Muslim saying it's OK to insult a Sunni Muslim.

Laughably stupid logic in a attempt to justify your own religious bigotry.

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

But you are not an evangelical christian which is what the derogatory term "Jesus Freak" refers to.

image.png.3dcb5785537e5dd3a0737ca55bb1511b.png

It's like a Catholic saying it's OK to insult a Protestant. Or a Shia Muslim saying it's OK to insult a Sunni Muslim.

Laughably stupid logic in a attempt to justify your own religious bigotry.

You really need to read my post again and stop the false accusations and strawman fallacies. Regards your latest opinion of my logic, well yours is there for all to see. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, KhunLA said:

When you are one of the most populated countries in the world, your nutters will hit the news more often, especially on a forum with an anti Yank membership ... IMHO

Not saying AN fits that description, but simply in general ... IMHO

image.png.8140b99d374b6711b423f0c9a93a19de.png

Why do you believe people are anti American? I have worked with a lot of Americans and they have all been good guys.

38 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You really need to read my post again and stop the false accusations and strawman fallacies. Regards your latest opinion of my logic, well yours is there for all to see. 

I've read it again. It's nonsense. You're trying to say it's OK to call him a Jesus Freak because there is no evidence he was an evangelical Christian.

That's like saying it's OK to call a dark skinned person from Asia the N word, because there is no evidence he originates from Africa. Ridiculous logic. 

Jesus Freak is an insult for evangelical Christians. It's derogatory. Only a religious bigot would use it. Same as only a bigot would use the N word, and they would still be a bigot if they used it for someone who was Asian.

image.png.d31546a4fcf9e1896fcadec6c2962e8e.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

I've read it again. It's nonsense. You're trying to say it's OK to call him a Jesus Freak because there is no evidence he was an evangelical Christian.

That's like saying it's OK to call a dark skinned person from Asia the N word, because there is no evidence he originates from Africa. Ridiculous logic. 

Jesus Freak is an insult for evangelical Christians. It's derogatory. Only a religious bigot would use it. Same as only a bigot would use the N word, and they would still be a bigot if they used it for someone who was Asian.

image.png.d31546a4fcf9e1896fcadec6c2962e8e.png

Is this organization "religious bigots" too? They do amazing work helping people who have suffered at the hands of what they call Jesus freaks, they provide resources for churches and people who have suffered abuse from these perpetrators:

"The site also provides resources and training for individuals and organizations, such as churches, whom the spiritual abused may call upon for assistance."

Book Review - Jesus Freaks A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge

Is the Guardian a religious bigot when it reported on this article using the term Jesus freaks?

Terror on the Beach and The Love-Thrill Murders all featured acid-befuddled commune-dwellers on killing sprees: sometimes they were satanists, sometimes they were Jesus freaks, but there was always a Manson-like figure guiding the murderous action.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/20/charles-manson-pop-culture-dark-obsession-guns-n-roses-mad-men

Just 2 examples there are many more. No they are not bigots they are using the term in context to the individuals they are naming. Exactly the same as I have.

Your tiresome repeated off topic false accusations and repeated postings of screenshots do not add weight to your accusations. They just display your bigoted view of labelling me into something I am not. Get back in your little box and reflect on your own prejudices that have be plain for all to see in this topic.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 8:53 AM, Social Media said:

image.png

A US shop owner was shot dead after a dispute over a Pride flag displayed outside her business, police say.

Laura Ann Carleton, 66, was found with a bullet wound at her Mag Pi shop in Cedar Glen, California, on Friday.

A suspect - who fled the scene on foot - was killed by police when found nearby, allegedly still armed.

Ms Carleton was described as a "wonderful friend" by Hollywood director Paul Feig, who posted an image of them together.

The suspect made "disparaging remarks" about the rainbow flag before shooting the victim, police said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers then located the suspect, armed with a handgun, the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department said.

At this point, "a lethal force encounter occurred and the suspect was pronounced deceased".

Feig - known for films such as Bridesmaids as well as the Freaks and Geeks TV series - said his friend had been shot after confronting the suspect for ripping down the flag.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

a clear case of insert-here-ophobia.

What an insane thing to be killed over. At least the suspect did the right thing and got himself shot in return.

Edited by pedro01

53 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Is this organization "religious bigots" too? They do amazing work helping people who have suffered at the hands of what they call Jesus freaks, they provide resources for churches and people who have suffered abuse from these perpetrators:

"The site also provides resources and training for individuals and organizations, such as churches, whom the spiritual abused may call upon for assistance."

Book Review - Jesus Freaks A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge

Is the Guardian a religious bigot when it reported on this article using the term Jesus freaks?

Just 2 examples there are many more. No they are not bigots they are using the term in context to the individuals they are naming. Exactly the same as I have.

Your tiresome repeated off topic false accusations and repeated postings of screenshots do not add weight to your accusations. They just display your bigoted view of labelling me into something I am not. Get back in your little box and reflect on your own prejudices that have be plain for all to see in this topic.

It's always amusing when the mask of the #bekind lefties slips. Then watching them jump through hoops to try and justify it because it's a group they hate.

"Jesus Freaks". Wow. Religious bigotry there for all to see. Keep using the term, you're just making yourself look worse. Bigotry is Bigotry whether the insult is against black Sunni Muslims (Ragh***s) or white Evangelical Christians (Jesus Freaks).

image.png.da4e1fcb24244c5da5c6f1822ef04348.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's always amusing when the mask of the #bekind lefties slips. Then watching them jump through hoops to try and justify it because it's a group they hate.

"Jesus Freaks". Wow. Religious bigotry there for all to see. Keep using the term, you're just making yourself look worse. Bigotry is Bigotry whether the insult is against black Sunni Muslims (Ragh***s) or white Evangelical Christians (Jesus Freaks).

I don't need to jump through hoops to provide facts but logic obviously did need explaining to you.

Back to the Muslims and strawman having ignored the post entirely. Now that you've completely derailed the topic, I'll leave you to carry on with your explicit bigotry and prejudice. 

Edited by Bkk Brian

27 minutes ago, EastBayRay said:

Exactly. Frankly I’m surprised it’s even allowd on here.

can’t imagine an insult like that being allowed for other religious groups. As an othrodox Christian I find it real offensive.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-freak.html

"While it was originally used as a pejorative, Jesus freak has become accepted and even embraced by many in the Christian community. A “Jesus Freak” song and album by the Christian band DC Talk in 1995 helped popularize the term. This is perhaps similar to the term Christian, which seemingly originated as an insult (Acts 11:26), but later became the most widely accepted term for a follower of Jesus Christ. If obsession with Jesus is indeed the core meaning of Jesus freak, then, yes, a Jesus freak is precisely what a Christian should strive to be (Matthew 16:24)."

In actual modern usage, the term Jesus freaks is out of fashion and is rarely used in a derogatory way or any way as it's rarely used PERIOD.

It's incredibly passe and dated.

I find this entire Jesus freak discussion an absurd irrelevant diversion from the actual topic.

The cold blooded murder of a fine upstanding woman by a perverted homophobe.

But typical for this forum to go off in ridiculous tangents.

BTW -- the much more common terms to describe fundamentalist Christian religious fanatics are bible-thumpers and God botherers.

Bible-thumper Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

God-botherer definition in American English | Collins English Dictionary (collinsdictionary.com)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

BTW -- the much more common terms to describe fundamentalist Christian religious fanatics are bible-thumpers and God botherers.

Personally I don't use these epithets to describe religious fundamentalists but I wouldn't feel too guilty if I did, particularly as some of the more extreme types want us murdered or imprisoned.  

3 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Personally I don't use these epithets to describe religious fundamentalists but I wouldn't feel too guilty if I did, particularly as some of the more extreme types want us murdered or imprisoned.  

I probably would say Christian fundamentalists mostly if I wanted to talk about such people. Or you could say fundie.

I associate the American ones with far right wing politics as most supported trump (which is kind of silly when you look at that man's behavior) but of course not all of them are.

Edited by Jingthing

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't need to jump through hoops to provide facts but logic obviously did need explaining to you.

Back to the Muslims and strawman having ignored the post entirely. Now that you've completely derailed the topic, I'll leave you to carry on with your explicit bigotry and prejudice. 

I don't associate with bigots in real life so I see no need to continue the conversation with one on a forum.

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Apparently the killer was offended.

And here you are being offended.

On the upside being offended is mildly in topic.

20 hours ago, EastBayRay said:

Exactly. Frankly I’m surprised it’s even allowd on here.

can’t imagine an insult like that being allowed for other religious groups. As an othrodox Christian I find it real offensive.

Outlawing criticism and ridicule of religion is both very Muslim and quite intolerant. It smacks of fascism quite frankly. And it violates the 1st amendment.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Apparently the killer was offended.

And here you are being offended.

On the upside being offended is mildly in topic.

I'm not offended.

I'm just pointing out that religious bigotry is still bigotry if it is aimed at Evangelical Christians.

I'm sure you'd object to me using derogatory terms for Muslims, so I am not quite sure why you are fine with people using them for other religions. I guess it's just more leftist hypocrisy laid bare :coffee1:.

• Thanks 2